Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hairdresser MIA & Now Back. Now What?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carolyn Gerard View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Gerard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairdresser MIA & Now Back. Now What?
    Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:22am
Hi,

I had this hairstylist for about 5 years. Then she switched salons over 1 year ago. I asked her to please let me know where she landed. She didn''t even though my phone number is listed and she did contact some of my friends. She told one of my friends that she was "trying to weed out her clientele" whatever that means. Anyway, she switched recently to yet another salon. This time she sent me a note telling me that she had moved. Never mind the time factor from the previous salon. In the meantime I found a good stylist. Not as good but almost. Should I swallow my pride and go back to this first stylist or stay loyal to my new one? Should I respond to the note or not do anything?

KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:42am
Forget her Carolyn.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:59am
Did she really say "weed out" her clientele?!?!?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Carolyn Gerard View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Gerard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 12:14pm
Hi,

Well I was told that she said "weed out" her clientele. So yes, that is what I heard that she said.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 9:37pm
There is no loyalty with hairdressers. Ask either of them and they'll probably tell you to go to the person who gives you the best cut. Isn't that what it's about? You live with this cut for the 1-3 months in between visits, so it shouldn't matter who you like more.

My hairdresser is very sweet by a bit flaky with her new age stuff. I love her because she's a great hairdresser. That's what counts.

So go to whoever makes you happiest. And don't trust some second hand remark that didn't refer to you by name.

Go back to the first hairdresser, because she gives you the best cut.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 11:55am
Hi Carolyn,

I agree with all above that you should forget your former stylist and move on.

When one door closes, another opens. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 7:31pm
"There's no loyalty with hairdressers."????

I have to take issue with that statement, Rod. Unless I misunderstood how you meant it??

I do agree that you should go to the stylist that gives you what you are looking for. A great cut, color or maybe just a wonderful relaxing scalp massage...

And I have to say being on the other side. Having to move with your clients from one salon to another is usually a stressful thing accidents can happen, post cards come back and you do forget people, even clients that you really love.

I would go to the stylist that is best for you....But I would not make my decision on hearsay or a possible lost post card in the mail.

And if you decide not to go back to your first stylist, no you don't have to respond.

However inappropriate...
If your Stylist did say, she needed weed her clients out...Why would you think she meant you?

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 8:43pm
Yes, I totally agree with Sophie.

When you move to another salon, you usually have about 300 people to call and send cards to. Sometimes one will get missplaced or even you try and try to call them and they have no answering machine or worse a spouse who is lousy at taking messages. Then you worry yourself silly when this person stops coming to you that you may have done something wrong or said something wrong, when in reality, you really did try and they never got the message from you.

This situation of hearsay from a second party would be my worse nightmare. I really do love 98% of my clients and would never want them to go anywhere. (The 2%? Nobody has the perfect clientele) The thought of them hearing something that I may or may not have said or have been taken wrong is the last thing I would ever want to happen.

If you really like what this hairdresser did for you and your hair, try her again, and "feel her out". If she seems cold then never go back. If she welcomes you with open arms and is very happy to see you then forget what your friend may have heard.

Gossip and hearsay is a very dangerous thing. I guess thats why the Bible says that it is sharper than any two-edged sword.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 1:21am
What I meant is that you shouldn't go to a hairdresser out of loyalty. No matter how much you like your hairdresser or how long you've gone to him or her, you should go to the one who gives you the best cut.
Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 1:27am
Wow LiliBeach, thank you so much for providing a completely different perspective on the situation and from a stylist who has been there/done that.

I for one was just thinking, well maybe the stylist was just being snotty or rude but when you talk about the many many clients that a stylist has to contact and maybe they don't get the note, it makes a whole lot of sense. I am definitely going to remember to go avoid listening to rumor and hearsay.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 7:18pm
Your right Rod ...You should be going to your Stylist for the skill that they provide.

And staying with a stylist out of loyalty alone is not enough. It's a two way street.

But there is a loyalty that develops. I have some loyal clients, that I have been styling for 16, 17 and 18 years. And if I were not as loyal to them as they are to me, our relationships would not have continued.

StyleOn
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 9:32pm
I say that if you prefer the way your old stylist did your hair go back. I think there is a good possibility that maybe she did just misplace your phone number and address during the stress of switching salons. I think those changovers can be very emotional with hard feelings on the part of the salon owner, etc. If you are really worried about whether or not you were weeded out, confront her on your first visit. If indeed she did say that it might make her think twice about saying it again. She wants you back now for whatever reason so I would try it. People live and learn...
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic