Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in a baber shop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweet and spiccey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet and spiccey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in a baber shop
    Posted: August 21 2003 at 8:17pm
Hi! I was just wondering if there r any females out there who get thier hair cut in a baber shop, or r fanstyzing about doing it. I have often concired it, but never did. Now I have long hair, to the middle of my back, and I think I really want it cut short, and I wondered what better place to get a short hair cut then @ a baber shop! If there r any females out there who have done this please describe ur experience. I have sersioly been thinking about just walking in, sitting in the chair, and telling the barber to just cut it as SHORT as he wants, and letting him go as short as he wants w/ out stopping him. If u have done something similar please describe. Thanks.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2003 at 10:02pm
I wear my hair very short in a pixie cut, and NO, I would not go to a barber that does men's haircuts.

Besides, isn't going to the beauty salon something you enjoy? Even most men go to beauty salons these days. Old-fashioned men's barbers are only good for buzzcuts or old fashioned men's hairstyles that senior citizens wear - (no offense to older folks)-.
tina
sweet and spicey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet and spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2003 at 11:33pm
Yaeh. I guess ur right. I do enjoy going to a salon, and I don't really know why I ever started to concider going to a baber shop. I guess it's b/c I have always wanted the experience of haveing a guy cut my hair, but never could b/c I can never seem to locate a male hairstylist in the area where I live. Thanks for the advice. Bye.
Allso, I would like thoes know might not ever think about doing this, and have never done this to reply w/ whatever they think about this. Thanks again.
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2003 at 8:20am
I worked with a woman who went to a barber shop to get her hair cut. She keeps her hair really short, and he did a good job plus he also cut her husband, mother and father's hair. I even went to him several times when my hair was medium short and layered. The last few times he cut my hair was to start cutting the layers out and getting me to a more blunt cut which he did as well as anyone else. I prefer women (over straight men) to cut my hair as I feel I get a more feminine look.

The shop had a front room where one man worked alone and it was pretty much enclosed by glass. The barber I went to was in the next room in the back. The TV was constantly on a news channel. In the back room were 2 chairs and 2 men cutting hair. The sink was behind the chair so once you sat down you got washed, cut and dried. He carried and used salon products - can't remember which ones right now. I quit going to him because although he was adequate he was not what I was looking for in a stylist.

Twanda
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2003 at 3:16pm
Hello

I think it depends on what you're really looking for. I've known several women who won't go anywhere else but a barber shop to have their hair done.

Barbers are not the same as stylists. If you know what you want, and need someone who's an expert at cutting, go to a barber. If you want an "artist" to create something with your hair, go to a stylist. Not to say there aren't exceptions, but generally speaking, barbers will do just what you ask, nothing more.

I've known several long-haired women who go to a barber because they can get a trim of exactly how much they want, no more. And they don't have any pressure to get colors or perms because the barbers don't provide those services.

But if you're looking for a makeover, I would suggest a stylist, someone who would enjoy creating a new look.

Just my 2 cents,
Teresa
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 7:00am
I've considered it, but only because 1) there's a barbershop just a couple of blocks from my house, 2) it would be cheaper than a salon, and 3) they wouldn't try to force me into anything too feminine the way the salon stylists generally do. But even there, I think, I would be a bit creeped out because I don't really like strangers messing with my hair. I prefer to do it by myself as much as possible.
jonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2003 at 7:13pm
My wife now goes to the same barber that I do. The barber is an older lady that owns her shop and has 2 male barbers working with her. My wife wears a buzzed back inverted bob cut and she loves the way her barber clips her nape. The lady barber really takes her time and the haircuts turn out really well. At first my wife was nervous about being in a barber shop with a bunch of men, but it doesn't bother her much anymore. I say go for it. The experience is totally different form a salon or, god forbid, a discount chain.
jonny
joec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 11:43pm
The difference between a hairstylist,and a licensed barber is this,a hair stylist only has to know a few styles,A barber has to know how to cut hair,he or she must know many more styles.
Some barbers however dont cut womens hair,but most will.It's like any thing else thoe you will know if you get a bad one.If you get a good one though,you will be quiet satisfied,and save a considerable amount of money.
You may find that your own hairstylist is a licensed barber.
Tawanda got it almost right except for the silly coment about straight men,thats a silly stereotype.
A man sexual orientation has nothing to do with how well he masters his craft.
Joe
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 8:47am
The comment may have sounded stereotypical but over the years, of the several straight male hair dressers who have cut my hair versus several different gay hairdressers, the latter gave me much better haircuts complete with strangers asking me where and who cut my hair.

Twanda
joec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2004 at 12:05pm
You raise some interesting questions,are their other women with simiuliar experience?
I did'nt take into acount your personel experience,you may be right
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:44pm
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 4:39pm
My wife wanted an Inverted bob with a clippered nape but her stylist did not seem to want to clipper it and kept finishing it either with scissors or a razor which did not give the effect on the nape my wife desired so she went to a barber shop where a younger woman did a lot of the cuts and asked if she would clipper the nape. The girl asked how short she wanted it at her ears, and at the back and just cut and buzzed the style exactly as my wife had asked, no persuasion, no opinion, just the cut my wife had been trying to get her regular stylist to cut for about 4 months. So if you want something short and not fancy a barber will tend just to give you exactly what you ask for so the only advice is decide EXACTLY what style and length you want before you go but I say GO FOR IT ! My wife has never looked back.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 6:13pm
cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic