Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

porcupine hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: porcupine hair
    Posted: July 10 2002 at 3:17am
hi
if no product is applied, I swear my hair looks like spikes on a porcupine, super straight, super thick, and growing out almost perpendicular to the scalp, especially on the sides. So now, the only product I use to make my hair lay flat is gel, however, the results are not spectacular. Is there any product(s) out there that can make my hair soft and/or lay flat?

thanks
nnms View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nnms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2002 at 11:29pm
not that i believe u or anything but wax [like everyone on heres has said 50000 ****ing times] makes hair look together and dry and not hard. but hey since ur hair is SOO naturally spikey *cough*cough* i doubt it would help.
NUFAN View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NUFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2002 at 1:42pm
Yep, my brother has the same thing...Dont really know HOW it`s possible for hair to do that, but it IS possible. In my brothers case, it`s cause he has worn his hair straight up for years...and somehow the hairs started growing like that. And if you have thick hair, it`s real easy for the hairs to stay upward.
Anyway...
What you can do, this might sound pretty stupid, but try wearing a baseball cap or beanie or anything that will push down your hair. Wear it as much as you can...this`ll force the hair to stop growing up like it does now. It`ll take al whole time though...And try taking mousse first, that stuff makes your hair nice and soft...then comb it down and spray hairspray on it:)
Hope this helps...it sure did for my little bro:)
loser_bill View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loser_bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 6:02pm
Ha, you are lucky - my hair does this to an extent, but more one one side of my head than the other!

Solution: start growing it now...
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2002 at 1:08am
I have the same problem. The hat is only a temporary solution. I used to try wearing it for a half hour before styling it but halfway through the day it`s fudged up again. Hopefully the wax will work. I feel the pain for whoever else has this problem. It freaking sucks. For a day or two after the haircut it looks good then looks bad. Even if you grow it it starts to look really puffy.
xoom!
ryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2002 at 1:10am
"nnms," this guy is telling the truth. My hair is exactly the same, and I`ve used the word "porcupine" when talking to hairdressers. This does "****ing suck." People like us just can`t "wash and go" like the old commercial said. It takes a lot of work for our hair to look merely presentable...and even then the results aren`t that great. I`ve been trying to figure out some way to deal with this for years, and I haven`t come up with anything. Just don`t go shorter, unless you`re planning on a military cut or something (so short it won`t matter).
This is what I do View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote This is what I do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2002 at 8:18pm
I have been dealing with this natural afro for years. I used to get my hair cut short and then I would have to use wax to get it look good but that would make it greasy. So I grew out it about 1.5-2 inches on the top and a taper/fade up the sides. For the top dry your hair and then apply a styling cream(Rave makes a pretty good styling creme). Let the cream dry and then comb threw your hair or use your hands to style it. Touch up with hair spray. That should give you the soft but manageable hair.

Bryan
----15male View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ----15male Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2002 at 10:22pm
Well if you`re telling the truth, you`re gonna have a badass `80`s hairband hair. I wish my hair was like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic