Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is male long hair making a comeback?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gollan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is male long hair making a comeback?
    Posted: August 09 2003 at 9:49pm
What do you say, is male long hair making a comeback? It seems everywhere I look in Ottawa there are guys going through the awkward stage. Some guys even have hair near their shoulders. It looks like the early 70's again (I should know, I was there the first time around). Are we in a long hair renaissance? If so do you think it will last or will it fade away with the next fashion season?
crazzzycait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazzzycait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2003 at 10:57pm
I really really really hope it's not..I hate guys with long hair..that's just my opinion though. I wasn't around in the 70s, or the majority of the 80s, so I'm not sure what I feel about the hair then.
escucha el ritmo de tu corazon...te amo. <3 caiter tot
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 6:14am
It doesn't matter if it's "in" or not. Maybe people are just getting more individual, so they have their hair all lengths from very short to very long.

I have longish hair it's about chin length a little below at the back. I want to grow it out about 4 or 5 inches below my shoulders, but my mum tells me it won't because it'll just grow out instead of growing down, because it's quite big and a little puffy at times.

I really want to have long hair =/
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 10:03pm
Yeah!!! It never should have gone away! Long haired men are sexy! Short haired men like Matt Lauer on The Today Show look like frat-boy wanna-be losers!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2003 at 11:21am
Before I start : I really really really hope it's not..I hate guys with long hair..

cait : We don't need trash talk on this forum. You might prefer men with shorter or no hair, but this is beyond the bounds of mutual respect and dignity you should have for your peers unless they did something to not deserve such respect. Having long hair and a penis is not grounds to mistreat people. I know you weren't harsh about it, just very insensitive.

Gollan : I think some for of hair renaissance is in Ottawa (since I live there :P ) for the young people. Not necessarily long only (but it is coming a lot) but any style that requires more than "ooh, i'm buzzed, i look fine" --- I myself have 19 inch hair, and it's more than just Ottawa, the more free and cosmopolitan place you go, the more you see various stuff. There is no mold to even break in Montreal, where I plan on moving, I have seen lots of length and ethnic backgrounds sporting those lengths.

Renaissance, yes. Takeover, no. We still have a few years to go before that. Besides, even the francophone population in Montreal ..... remember, there was a time that their ancestry had REAL long hair (as opposed to the English) as a symbol of maturity/superiority/whatever. But evcen the short styles are nice to look at. (And before someone asks, shaved, or buzzed is NOT a style, it is the lack of it. Remember, this is how we demarked slaves in ancient Greece.)
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 10:34am
crazzzy, you hate the hair, not the men,
right?

It's true. We're seeing more long hair on
guys, but not a whole bunch more, I
think. I wish it had something to do with
individual tastes prevailing over
conformity, but I'm afraid it's just fashion.
Since about the end of the "great"
recession of the 90s (c. 1996), I think
that conformism has become stronger.

Yep, Kintaro, I've spent 2 summers in
Quebec and it's cool there. People are
not such conformists as in Ontario.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 9:56pm
I agree with those who say that people are becoming more individual, so that long or short hair on men and women is more acceptable. I think people -(some people anyway)-, are getting past trends and just doing what they like in regards to hair.

Crazzzycait, you were a little harsh about guys with long hair,... and Kintaro, you were a little harsh about people with buzzcuts or who are bald,-(I don't think your average person with a buzzcut in the modern world is really thinking much about the ancient slaves with buzzcuts. And of course in some cultures people have worn their hair very short or shaved their heads for centuries)-.

I really think we should be accepting on Hair Talk of any haircut that people have, from very long to buzzed short or anything in between. Everyone has their likes and dislikes but let's be respectful. A few men-(especially Dave Decker and Kintaro)- and many women, have written that they wear very long hair on these boards,... and several men and at least two women-(Debbie and Jasmine)- have written they wear buzzcuts. So you can express your preferences in hair but please let's be respectful to everyone no matter how they wear their hair, that way these boards can be enjoyed by all of us!

p.s.- Duke, the western countries and the international economy in general have been in a greater recession in the past two years than they were at any time in the 1990s. Unemployment is up nearly everywhere. I am not quite certain what that has to do with hairstyles anyway.
tina
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 7:35am
I live in a small town in Illinois and I can tell you that I see more and more men AND boys with crewcuts & buzzcuts! And then there are those that prefer the longer hair, too! So, I would say that both kinds are still out there! Debbie
HeadBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 8:24am
In Springfield, MO it does look to me as if long hair on guys is becoming more common than it was a few years ago. This is just my observation, but it also seems like there is not a lot of middle ground.

From what I've seen, guys are either sporting long hair or buzzcuts. I opt for the latter, which is my preference, but I am seeing men my age (39) with hair to their shoulders and beyond more frequently. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. During the 70's, I had hair to my elbows at one point (Cue grandpa Simpson: "It was the style at the time").

All I can say about long hair is it is a lot of work. It can look good on some people, just not me. I agree with the people who wrote that people are letting their individuality show.
That part of the equation is a good thing.
Peace to all
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 7:07pm
I hate to sound shallow, but as a single guy in my twenties, with what my friends call " James Bond " hair, full, just over the ear tops, side parted, if a girl like crazzycat took an interest in me and said " a crewcut would look great on you. " I'd be in a chair in about 3 minutes. I've had this style for a while, but I'll shift if motivated.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 8:32pm
Good for you Steve, we need more guys like you, .....wear your hair the way your lady wants you to wear it!.

A woman should pick the guy's clothes for him too!
tina
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 7:48am
Originally posted by tina m tina m wrote:

Good for you Steve, we need more guys like you, .....wear your hair the way your lady wants you to wear it!.

...while at the same time, getting all insulted
& considering breaking up if the guy gives a
friendly, non-imposing suggestion that she
lose the boots or go back to her natural color,
right?
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 8:23am
Originally posted by duke duke wrote:

Originally posted by tina m tina m wrote:

...while at the same time, getting all insulted
& considering breaking up if the guy gives a friendly, non-imposing suggestion that she lose the boots or go back to her natural color, right?

Oh duke, that among tons of things. Sad that a woman should be expected to have a say among their S.O.'s looks, but vice-versa never occurs. Especially when women often tend to ask the very shallow questions like "Do you like it?" when it's utter crap, or "Do you think I'm fat?" .

I'm never letting any S.O. in my life impose nothing on me, as I will never impose anything on her. Nor will there be any veiled suggestions. I say if the woman in the relationship wants someone to get their hair cut, they can go to a salon and do just that, and not bore their companion with "get a hair cut.... you'd look better like this."

My hair is mine for a reason. I wouldn't want anyone I ever have a relationship with to blatantly disrespect me by telling me what to do, or by force-feeding a choice.

P.S.: If I ever get asked the "Do you think I'm fat?" line , my answer is "If you think you're fat hunny, I'll think so too "
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 7:20pm
I believe Tina and Headboy hit the nail on the head; in our current era hair length for both men and women is an individual thing. It seems more so all the time, which is good I believe.

As a woman who wears her hair in a very short, cut close-to -the -scalp afro, I know I can make myself and my short hairstyle look very feminine.
I of course do wear makeup, always wear some jewelry and earrings, sometimes a fashion scarf, and dress feminine,(usually skirts,dresses, sometimes heels). If a woman has a feminine face she can look quite good, in my humble opinion in a super short crop.
Likewise men can wear long hair and look very masculine. I think it helps if they pick the right clothes and have masculine facial features. A beard or a mustache can help with long hair too, depending if a guy has good hair growth on his face, and if the beard or mustache looks good on him.
To judge long or short hair on men and women as having feminine or masculine traits is ridiculous. A man will look like a man, a woman like a woman , regardless of hair length.

I believe that hopefully we are completely getting past hair length stereotypes of men and women. I really hope we are getting beyond trends when it involves hair length on either men or women.

As far as men wearing their hair and clothes as their woman wants them too?; well good luck ladies! lol! I know my husband will sometimes do what I like but you need to be subtle, know what I mean ladies? A little give and take is sometimes required too!
Gollan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 11:21pm
Quote As a woman who wears her hair in a very short, cut close-to -the -scalp afro, I know I can make myself and my short hairstyle look very feminine.
My wife was wearing her hair like that until very recently. I think it is a great look.
grant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 9:51pm
I don't really think that male long hair is the most popular style right now. It seemed that many men and teens were growing out their hair a bit longer until summer came and now that it's summer most of them have gotten buzz cuts or shaved their heads. I am in the process of growing my hair to its terminal length, praying for knee length. (Its only 7 inches right now) and although in my opinion it is still extremely short, it is still a lot longer than most men and boys tend to grow their hair. Many people tell me to cut it and tell me that it's too long, as well as remarks like "no one else has hair that long why dont you cut it?". So no, I don't think its making a comeback. Or maybe its just where I live?
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2003 at 3:00am
Come to Montreal for a weekend, downtown was bliss. Among non-homeless people (since that is yet another awful stereotype sometimes pushed in Captain Buzzcrew's domain, and it is true that a lot of homeless can't even afford a haircut even if desired) .... downtown Montreal on the 16th , I'd say it was 15-20 % for the male population. I usually see 3-4 ..... 10 can happen, but I'm sure at least one in six last night....
Cranberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 7:14pm
I think men can definitely do long hair if that's their preference and they take good care of it. After all, Viggo Mortenson (Aragorn) from 'Lord of the Rings' had long hair, and he doesn't seem to be running out of admiration from women....any female I've talked to who has seen the movie finds him very attractive. Same with Orlando Bloom (Legolas).
Of course, appearance differs along all males, but these are just a couple examples that a man can have long hair and still be attractive.
grant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 10:04pm
Yes, it seems that a lot of women tend to like long hair on men. A lot of the girls i've talked to, like Orlando Bloom because "he has nice hair." A lot of women say that they like long hair on guys because they like to comb and braid it. I've actually heard from a lot of long haired men that say more women have come up to them since they have grown their hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic