Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need a BIG hug and support!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
i_hate_my_short_hair View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i_hate_my_short_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a BIG hug and support!
    Posted: May 18 2004 at 8:11pm
hey longbraidz,
i hope u are feeling better about your short hair. you said that you had some recipeis? could you plz send them my way.
thnx a bunch
LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 11:54pm
Hi creek...I'am glad that a hair straightener worked for you and you didn't have any upsets nor horror stories to share. I personally will NEVER EVER use a hair straightener!!!! Maybe it's just my body chemistry but I just can't use any of them.
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
creek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2004 at 10:13am
Hi,
My hair is wavy, colored {twice a month with Hydrience light ash brown}, and as the freezy days of Summer approaches I decided to get my hair chemically straighten for the first time. I always use an extra large round brush and a flat brush to dry my hair straight and it takes me 15 minutes, which is a pain in the neck.
Yesterday I went to Eckerd, it used to be Genovese here in Long Island, NY.
I bought Easy Straight for $30.00 and went home to try my new experiment. I followed the directions using all products that came with the kit:
First I applied the moisturizing oil to protect my hair,
Then I divided my hair into 4 parts using the hair clips included,
Then I added oil to the relaxer cream and place the cream jar in the microwave for 1 minute,
Then I mixed and applied to hair as quickly as I could using my hands protected by the gloves provided by kit,
I made sure all hair was saturated with cream,
As soon as I finished applying the cream, I jumped in the shower to get all that cream out of my hair because I did not want ANY hair damage.
I did not wait not even 1 second, I applied the cream to my hair and removed it with warm water.
Then, I rinsed my hair for 5 minutes to make sure all that stinky amonia cream was off every strand of my hair,
Then I shampoo and conditioned as usual.
Then I applied a liquid that was included, it closes the pores of hair,
Then without rinsing the liquid I carefully combed hair as instructed,
I noticed I could comb my hair easely and hair felt moisturized,
Then just as instructed, after 10 minutes of combing I rinsed hair and applied their heavy duty moisturizer leave in conditioner, but just to be in the safe side I also added my own leave in moisturizer to the ends of hair so it would be extra protected, soft and shiny.
Then I combed hair, towel dry, and applied my usual silicone Frizz-out from middle to ends of my hair. I did that because I always used it to prevent frizz and I think it will help my hair if it got dry from the chemicals in the relaxer cream.
Then I let my hair air dry. I did not use a blow dryer as usual.
As I was waiting for my hair to become a frizz ball I noticed it retained its straightness. I could not believe, after dry my hair was straight, but a normal straight, nor sticking out or unnatural but all waves were gone.
It looked like I had my hair blowed dryed with a flat brush.
My hair was healthy, shiny and STRAIGHT!
I am happy, it worked for me.
My shampoo and conditioner are Brilliant Brunette made by Frieda, I bought them at Ulta.
My silicone serum is Frizz Out from Jheri Redding only found at Ulta.
My leave in conditioner can be of any brand, as long as it is for color trated hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2004 at 10:34am
awwwwwwwwwwww thank you DaveDecker your such a sweety! My apologies...I thought you was totally against chemical hair dyes for anyone. I will MOST DEFINANTLY check into this "ho shou wu" or "shou wu pian" and I will try to read more on the suggested book "Life Extension" sounds like VERY interesting reading material to me and I'am due for a new book reading anyways...hence ignorange may be bliss but knowledge is a sword! I will also consider the vitamins...every little bit helps. I did come across a product called "Youthair" for grays...sad to say though that the product contains LEAD! In my state I would much rather deal with the consequences of ammonia and peroxide. I do hope to find something natural in regaining back my real hair color...dying hair on a montly basis can be a pain. Lastly...I found and tried this hair oil "Goldilocks Hair Oil" http://www.wiseways.com/nhc.html it contains alot of great herbs and such and I personally have noticed salp stimulation and new hair growth. Thanks a million for the advice
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 8:27pm
Hey LongBraidz,

I must not have given you a very accurate sense of myself... Although I generally prefer un-dyed hair, I am sympathetic to those who wish to cover grey. If you're happy, then I'm happy for you.

I have heard -- although I have not used it -- that an herb named "ho shou wu" or "shou wu pian" helps restore pigment to hair.

The book "Life Extension" claims that about 10% of people report a decrease in the amount of grey in their hair after using PABA (not sure of the dose). It also reports that vitamins B, C and E (and cysteine from eggs) help decrease the grey.

Hope this helps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 7:53pm
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Erinlynn as you can see...I come and I go...it's spring/summer and I like the outdoors Thank You for the wonderful advice...the buzz cut is past the G.I. Jane phase now and so are the jokes. I can now go comfortably without the bandanas and finally use my brush and comb again! I can even put some of those little "Clippies" in my hair. My hair growing back will take time...but as you and a few other's suggested...I'am enjoying the different lengths as they come. DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH YOUR HAIR even in your imagination!!!! I have seen your pics and you have the prettiest face and most BEAUTIFUL hair! OK... NOW A UPDATE...don't scream especially you DaveDecker but I broke my promise. I went back to permanantly coloring my hair. I didn't know what else to do. As my hair was growing back in I noticed something different...it turned about 70% gray...even my 65 year old Mom was shocked because it seeemd I had far more gray then her! My original hair color was a medium brown but even as it was growing back it was different. I had dark brown, medium brown, light brown, and about every other color brown there was. I went to my Doctor and he said that rageing hormones played a big part in my severe dry skin, fingernails chipping, and badly graying hair. I found a few things that worked for the severe dry skin and chipping fingernails but I had no luck for the graying hair. Please believe me...I tried everything you could think of to cover the gray...the herbal sage and rosemary daily hair rinse to restore original color back to graying hair was kinda gross. I noticed 1 morning that the white towel I was useing was stained green...ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! I thought about a demi/semi haircolor but some of those bleed on your pillow and clothes. As time was going by and relying on my bandanas was becoming less and less the gray got the best of me. It made me feel old...not wiser...just old and depressed. Society views men with graying hair as being distinguished...women with graying hair are considered just old. I'am 43 year's old and I'am not just ready to take the gray plunge but I will someday. My hair is now a beautiful EVEN chocolate colored brown...thanks to L'Oreal Excellence Haircolor #5 Medium Brown. I'am VERY happy with it! I will NEVER break my promise though about cutting my hair ever again. In 7 year's I will be 50 year's old and I'am curious to know what ankel length hair would be like. That's my personal goal. I will be stopping back from time to time and reading how all of you are doing...so until then...peace out and may a rainbow always touch your shoulder.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2004 at 6:30am
LongBraidz,

Ive alwasy wanted to see what I would look like with a buzz, but I dont have the heart to cut my hair as I know I want it long...BUT!!! Since you were not given the option of saveing your hair and you had to cut it you ought to take this as a gift that allows you to experience all the lenghts on your way back to long hair.

If I were you i wouldnt wear the bandana! I would be proud to sport my buzz cut (which i do find flattering on women) and I would take lots of pictures so you can remember what you looked like with short short hair...even if it was a mistake...and take progress report pictures and you can try all sorts of styles.

So take it as a mini blessing and have fun with it while it lasts. Once your hair is back to the desired lenght you know what not to do next time.

Id love to see a picture of your new style next to where it was before the cut.

--erin
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2004 at 3:48pm
Hi LongBraidz,

Welcome back. And thanks for the compliment!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 10:37pm
Hi everyone...sorry I haven't been in to check the boards lately. Spring Cleaning and such has taken me away from my computer. I'am doing alot better these days...still fighting the hormones...it's a girl thing. I'am glad to say that through this site and the messages posted I now know the proper techniques to growing my hair back healthier. I'am up to an inch and have promised myself that this single little inch will one day be the end of what I'am hopeing to be waist length or possiably even longer hair. BWT DaveDecker...you have hair to die for...very very nice I will be stopping back from time to time...take cares everyone!!!!
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 11:14am
Hi pheobe115 -- welcome!

I'm sorry to hear the straightening product you used fried your hair.

Vitamins won't necessarily help your hair grow faster if your dietary needs are being met in full. For most people, doing so without any vitamin/mineral supplementation isn't easy these days. Gentle care of the hair is essential to being able to keep most (or even all) of what you grow in good condition.

Hope you reach your growth goals!
pheobe115 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheobe115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 12:47pm
Hi all. I know what everyone is going through as far as trying to grow their hair out. I just fried the heck outta my hair on Monday with EASYSTRAIGHT. Can't be trusting any product that says it is safe on color treatd hair. Anyhow, my hair is about 2 inches passed my shoulders and I am not cutting it off. I am going to get some CAT and try to salvage what I have. My goal is to grow my hair passed the middle of my back even to my hips. I am 35 years old and I guess I will be around 38 by the time my hair is that long. I've taken vitamins, but honestly, they really do not make hair grow any faster and don't help stave off damage by any means. I have tried all the shampoos/conditioners out there and the best ones are actually the cheapest ones. As long as you have conditioner, eveything is going to be all right. Hot oil treatments and mayo also help. Next time you go away, take the shower cap home with you. I have a nice collection of them. They are great for deep conditioning and mayo treatments. If anyone has any advice on what else I can do about this gummy feeling in myhair, please let me know. Feel free to email me. Thanks and hang tough...in due time we'll all have our dream hair.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies
like a banana.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 8:00pm
Thank You paula hence the old saying "Live and Learn". It is kinda funny when you think about it...I let this happen to me not once but twice! I swore the 1st time would be the last but I'am a sucker for chemical products and their promises. This is definantly the last time...now that I promise
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 5:34pm
Longbraid, I'm very sorry to hear what happened, especially since this is the second time you've had to buzz off your waist length hair (I read your previous story about the hair straightener ruining your hair on the blooper forums)!! I can't imagine it happening twice!! At least you know what to expect, and I hope it grows out soon!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2004 at 8:22am
Hello again everyone ~waves~ I'am going to the "Hair & Alternative Therapies" to start a new thread where I'am going to copy and paste those recipes to stimulate hair growth. I'am also going to the "Hair Color" catagory and start a thread there on "Natural Hair Coloring" (chemical free) and also recipes on covering those pesky grays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2004 at 8:10am
Thank You..."I hate my haricut_girl"!!!! I'am glad that I could be of help to you and anyone else with a hair problem. I have had my share of hair mistakes but I learned from them and I also gained knowledge!
I hate my haricut_girl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I hate my haricut_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 11:18am
LongBraidz, you kick ass! Your so helpful, and thanks again for the recipes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 8:22am
Hi Bob S...Sue's hair sounds beautiful!!!! I sure hope she don't get discouraged by how other's feel and takes scissors in hand. If she does resort to coloring (permanent or semi)?...do you know if she will have it professionally done at a salon or use an over-the-counter product? I think I'am going to try a semi and wait until I get more silver/grey on the sides and then hopefully I will stop the semi and start to sport the Lilly Munster look. I would give ANYTHING for a silver/grey bold streak like she had

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 8:05am
hiiiiiiiiiiiiii kaylee08...I just emailed them to you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 8:03am
JENNA...I need your email addy! Please contact me first through my email...hope to hear from you soon
kaylee08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaylee08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:10pm
i would like a copy of those recipes too.... please
Cynthia Cooper
recovering from a bad haircut
goal is 24" or longer......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic