Print Page | Close Window

What do you like, cut or natural ends?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1002
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 4:33am

Topic: What do you like, cut or natural ends?
Posted By: Gollan
Subject: What do you like, cut or natural ends?
Date Posted: June 11 2004 at 12:28pm
What do you like, cut or natural ends? Do you prefer one on females and the other on males? Please explain your preference.

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about... there are two 'schools of thought' about how to care for the ends of your hair. The 'cut ends' folks get regular trims and keep the end of their length in some regular pattern (blunt, 'U', 'V', etc). The hair stops in one of these patterns and generally appears the same thickness over on the entire length. The 'natural ends' folks don't go for regular trims but instead cut out individual split ends and knots. Natural ends just 'fade out' and get thinner at the bottom of the length and there is less of a pattern.

I prefer natural ends as long as the hair is well-maintained. Unfortunately I see hair with natural ends that has been allowed to 'go to seed' and that is not cool (I call that 'hobo hair').

Replies:
Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: June 12 2004 at 10:30am
"Hobo" hair, yes, very good term. I know short haired people with that!

Personally, I like a u-shape. Most people lean forward a little, and I think it looks really awful when itīs longer in front than in back. But thatīs me. V-shape makes me think of an american-indian native kind of look. Nice, but not for me. And, I like a bit of fade-out, but just so. I would go with a little of each. And, itīs more practical to be a bit faded out if you like to bun it, the blunt cut ends can be tricky to control if you like a polished looking bun, like me.

I cut it about a month ago (and I really miss those extra four inches!) and I guess I will have the "right" fade out about two years from now! How to maintain it? I havenīt a clue!

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: June 12 2004 at 12:16pm
My favorite look is hair that hasn't been trimmed for 3-18 months. After a year and a half, I think most hair needs an inch or two trimmed. (I hope your hair grows fast, Victoria. Did you have a "stylist" who took "liberties" with your locks last time? Happy re-growing.) Bob

-------------

Posted By: duke
Date Posted: June 13 2004 at 9:12am
From an aesthetic point of view, I don't have a real preference. Untrimmed, u-shaped and cut straight can all look nice, each in its own way.

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: June 13 2004 at 12:19pm
Hi Gollan... interesting question.

On women I prefer blunt ends (straight across for longer than hip-length, and U-shape for hip-length or shorter).

On other men, I don't care. For myself I would prefer to have blunt, but presently it is a "natural" taper to nothing. Yes, I occasionally trim split ends, but since the ends are so old, there is some oxidation damage. So I try to keep it from looking like it has "gone to seed," but I'm not sure that I've been entirely successful.

-------------

Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: June 14 2004 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Did you have a "stylist" who took "liberties" with your locks last time? Happy re-growing.) Bob

Actually, I cut it off myself, I had remnants of bangs that irritated me, so I went the radical way. Itīs better looking than before, I guess Iīve just gotten used to the way that longer hair behaved... And it does grow pretty fast. I am happy and re-growing!

Posted By: Benji the Sausage
Date Posted: June 15 2004 at 7:15pm
on women i think a cut looks better, men look better with the naturally tapered ends.

-------------
BSL/Blonde/Chemically Treated (abused)
1b/cMii
I swear by Redken Extreme and Shea Butter.

Posted By: earthtones
Date Posted: June 16 2004 at 12:51pm
I personally like a blunt trimmed look. My hair would be alot longer if I didn't;) I trim every four months between 1/2 to an inch, I like my ends to be as thick on the bottom as toward the top. I also like the same blunt look on other LH women and men.

Posted By: enfys
Date Posted: June 24 2004 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Benji the Sausage Benji the Sausage wrote:

on women i think a cut looks better, men look better with the naturally tapered ends.

ditto.

I like blunt ends on women, and a more natual finish on men.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea - http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some

Posted By: miss brenda
Date Posted: June 24 2004 at 5:52pm
I like cut blunt ends on both men and women with long hair.

-------------

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 2:40pm
I like blunt cuts on women and men. Let your hair grow, but when t starts getting wispy at the ends FOR (insert deity of choice) SAKE CUT IT!!!!!!!!!! Hair looks terrible when it's all wispy and straggly!

Posted By: shiverpale
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 3:03pm

forgive me for being duhhh about this, but is blunt like, straight across? horizontal cut? if so, yeah, i like my hair to be blunt. and i cannot stand to see split ends at the end of my mane so i do trim it regulary, but only a few cm's to get rid of the split.

i also love seeing long hair with the v shape...viktoria hit the nail on the head when she described it as native american. very pocohontas indeedy! i like it so much that im considering on getting in cut like that.

i just need to learn how to do it. or find a salon that will take instructions not to cut no more than 2 inches off to create that look!

and im not going off the topic here...but

ladyfrog, stop following me

-------------
"The hair is the richest ornament of women."

Posted By: Katja
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 5:37pm
natural, as long as it looks healthy.  i have cut ends right now (U-shaped) but i've decided to "search & destroy" my own splits from now on, so hopefully they'll go natural after awhile.

-------------
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 5:49pm

I think wavies and curlies look better with V or natural ends. Straight IMHO looks better with a blunt or a U.

That's my take.

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:44pm
Blunt is like when it's cut, not allowed to keep on wisping and getting all straggly at the ends.

You're the one following me! I posted here before you so na na neee na na!

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: May 07 2005 at 2:56pm

I prefer natural looking ends to a point. My favorite "look" for long hair ends occurs from about four to twelve months *after* a trim.  Bob

Stright across is usually my favorite style, all one length and blunt.

Posted By: GoldieLocks92
Date Posted: May 07 2005 at 5:58pm
I think that each look good with different styles. Natural is well, natural and I like something about that freshly trimmed look as well. I think long haired men would look better with natural and I think both look fine on women.

-------------
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Date Posted: May 08 2005 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

I like blunt cuts on women and men. Let your hair grow, but when t starts getting wispy at the ends FOR (insert deity of choice) SAKE CUT IT!!!!!!!!!! Hair looks terrible when it's all wispy and straggly!

Looks like I'm due for a big trim, then.  Probably 12-15 inches would do.  (Of course, there is so little hair there... even after such a trim, the thickness would be only about the width of a pencil).  I have been thinking about doing this for years, but for now I'm on a quest for terminal length.

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2005 at 2:41pm
If you want it to terminal length then just don't cut it then. 

Date Posted: May 08 2005 at 2:42pm
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. 

Date Posted: May 19 2005 at 7:19pm
I don't believe anybody is offended by your comment, LadyFrog. No problem... (relax).  

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 12:52pm
well that's ok then. 

Print Page | Close Window