Print Page | Close Window

Your experience with Aveda Products?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Product Support
Forum Name: Product Reviews
Forum Description: Our readers do their own product reviews.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10119
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 7:43am

Topic: Your experience with Aveda Products?
Posted By: Amy
Subject: Your experience with Aveda Products?
Date Posted: May 21 2002 at 12:13am
I have been reading tons of fabulous reviews of various Aveda products - so I thought - try it - there`s no way I can lose. My hair is shoulder length with natural wave/curls and is course and sometimes dry. It also tends to get "poofy" if I don`t use the right products (though I am still searching for just exactly what those are). What I want more than anything is straight"ish", shiny, flat hair that hangs rather than floats around my head. I don`t use any heat styling products and wash my hair in cold water. After reading product reviews on Epinions for Aveda - I ordered the Sap Moss Shampoo and Conditioner, the Pure Fume Brilliant leave-in something something something, Styling Curessence and then some samples of the Elixir, and the conditioning Curessence - in hindsight I think maybe I went a little overboard and my wallet seems to agree. These products are all supposed to help dry hair and make it smooth and shiny. Not only did they not do that - but my hair was bigger and looked worse than it had in a long time. It was unmanagable and just all around blah. I haven`t taken the time to use them one at a time to see which product is the culprit - I am so disillusioned that I just want to chuck the whole lot in the garbage. I am wondering if anyone has any similar results with Aveda products - or any tips on how to use them to get the results I`m craving. Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Lyris
Date Posted: May 21 2002 at 8:24am
Hey there! I`m sorry you`re frustrated with your hair...believe me, I feel your pain! Our hair sounds very similar. I too go for the stick straight, shiny look, and I can DO it; it`s just taken a LOT of experimentation. That said, this is my advice:

1. Educate yourself on hair care ingredients. The brand of a product is not nearly as important as what`s actually in it. Those ingredient lists on the bottle are your best friend. Learn what all those funky words mean and you can quickly cut through the advertizing doublespeak. A good place to start:
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4266/gloss.html - http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4266/gloss.html
This is a GREAT list of common product ingredients. Not everything is there but I always take it with me when shopping. Find out what works for your hair. People with our hair type can often benefit from silicone derivatives, or words ending in "cone" (dimethicone, cyclomethicone, etc.) Some people don`t like using cones because they can build up. Solution: Deep cleanse with a gentle, effective shampoo once a week.

2. Use a gentle shampoo. Look for sodium laureth sulfate as the detergent ingredient, because it`s one of the mildest out there. Ammonium laureth/lauryl sulfates, the TEAs and sodium LAURYL sulfates are stronger and can dry out your hair with repeated use. Also, don`t wash your hair every day if you can help it.

3. Consider reading Paula Begoun`s book. She`s a consumer advocate author who done a lot of research into hair care. Her book reviews tons of products based upon what`s in them, and you`ll find more expensive doesn`t always mean better. (Although I wouldn`t use Suave on my hair for a million dollars. Well, maybe for a million, but no less....) You`ll also find that many of the products available are almost identical to one another based upon their ingredients. You`ll notice too that there really aren`t any shampoos/conditioners that can straighten your hair, since they don`t stay in your hair after your shower. They can, however, moisturize and smooth the hair cuticle, making your hair flatter and sleeker.

4. Deep condition one a week, if you have the patience. I put in a lot of conditioner, use a heating cap for 15 minutes, then sleep with the conditioner in (romantic, huh?) I REALLY like Aura Almond Cherry Bark conditioner from Sally`s.....very similar to the Aveda product but extremely helpful for my hair. John Frieda`s Frizz Ease Glistening conditioner is FAB on a daily basis....and it`s on sale at Walgreen`s this month :) Also, when you`re in the shower, leave the conditioner on as long as possible.

5. Heating styling is really the only way to really get your hair stick straight and smooth if it`s not naturally that way. Obviously it`s not healthy for your hair, but sometimes a girl`s gotta do what she`s gotta do. I use a paddle brush, some slick gel and a blower dryer on medium-low heat. Works like a charm and it`s straight for three days. No one believes me when I say my hair`s naturally wavy and a frizzball.....they just won`t believe it.

6. Look for a leave-in conditioner with silicone. This can make your hair very shiny (just don`t use too much.) I buy mine from Walmart and it`s called Jhirmack HeatCare. It`s really funky looking....pink and purple but I swear it`s magic. Just don`t overdo it.

7. Remember every reviewer has different hair and different results! :-) Like me. What I do may not work for your hair, and that can explain why others rave about Aveda but you had no luck. Anyway, I`m sorry this post was so long, but I hope it helps you a bit. Good luck! :-)

-------------
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Posted By: lgp82
Date Posted: May 22 2002 at 6:49pm
Return them!!!!!

-------------
~*~*Lisa*~*~

Posted By: waggingtail
Date Posted: May 27 2002 at 5:59pm
I like some Aveda (Sap Moss Shampoo, but diluted with water first), don`t like others.

It`s so true - that slick straight shiny stuff doesn`t happen unless that`s your hair or you use some kind of "setting" usually with heat...g

-------------
Be yourself - unless you suck...wags