Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10295
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 5:51pm

Topic: Age Limits For Pixies?
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Subject: Age Limits For Pixies?
Date Posted: April 01 2003 at 6:04pm
Hi Hairguy00 & all,

Mia Farrow and Twiggy were pioneers in the Pixie world but over the years since the 60s the Pixie has been called the Crop and the Chop but basically is a super super short layered scalp hugging cut.

While I think this style looks great on people with wonderful cheekbones and pretty faces, I think the Pixie can negatively enhance large noses or other facial features. I also think that a Pixie doesn't look as good on older people since it accentuates the neck and chin.

What do you all think? If you think Pixies are OK on older women can you think of some examples?

Thanks in advance.
Karen Shelton

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Replies:
Date Posted: April 01 2003 at 6:17pm
PS. Some people confuse a Pixie with a short bob.
Halle Berry with her short boy cut is definitely in Pixieland while Sharon Stone with her longer featured look is more like a short Bob.

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: hairguy00
Date Posted: April 01 2003 at 6:32pm
I really dont see any age limit on the cut, i think if you have the face to show it off, then more power to you

-HG

-------------

Posted By: Lady Maria
Date Posted: April 01 2003 at 8:47pm
I agree with Hairguy.

I see both younger women and middle age and older women wearing pixies.

Either the look is for you or it isn't.

-------------
Lady Maria

Date Posted: April 01 2003 at 9:34pm
Hi Hairguy & Lady Maria,

Well I agree that if you have the face and the style works for you age shouldn't be a factor but I am still wondering if you can think of some great celebrities with pixies that would be good hair role models for the style. I would love to see a good list started. I already mentioned Halle Berry but I guess Reba McEntire could be classified as a pixie wearer as could Selma Blair. Renee Zelleweger has had pixies before but she seems to be growing her hair into a longer pixie/short bob (and I think she looks fabulous in her current style IMHO).

So who else is on the Famous Pixie List?

Best wishes,
Karen

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2003 at 10:32pm
I can name a few Karen that I would like on my list of women that look great in pixies.

Remember Janine Turner from the T.V. show set in Alaska called NORTHERN EXPOSURE? She had a great brunette pixie that suited her perfectly!

I also liked Sharon Stone and Winona Ryder when they wore their hair at it's shortest, pixie-like.

You already mentioned Halle Berry, what can you say, she is beautiful in short hair!

I like the actress Connie Neilsen's new short pixie too. She looks great wearing it!

Dolores O'Riordian the lady who is the lead singer of the Irish rock group THE CRANBERRIES, has had many styles from baldheaded to shoulder length hair but usually wears her hair in a short pixie . She looks wonderful in a pixie and they are a great rock group and she is quite a singer!

The Latin American actress Celeste Cid looks really great in a short brunette pixie! Nice to see more Latina women in Latin America and the U.S. wearing short pixies! I love the look and I love wearing my hair this way!

-------------
Lady Maria

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: April 02 2003 at 6:48am
Well I guess the new Celine Dion super short style is definitely a pixie. It is longer on top but very short on the sides so I think it would fall into pixie category. Also, Cameron Diaz had very short pixie hair for awhile and even Gwenyth Paltrow right after she broke up with Brad Pitt. Remember? Her hair was super short although it has been long for some time now.

Posted By: sher122381
Date Posted: April 02 2003 at 12:27pm
I'm not a pixie person but I think Judi Dench(sp) looks beautiful with it and she's over 60

-------------
20/32/38.5
2C
Whatever you are, you are. Be
proud of it.

Posted By: Elissa
Date Posted: April 03 2003 at 5:00am
I think I remember Glenn Close having it pixie-ish at one point, and it looked very sexy.

-------------
[/url]
http://lilypie.com">

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: April 04 2003 at 11:18pm
Jamie Lee Curtis and Miss Perky (a few years back) Katie Couric. And the beautiful South African bombshell (I can never remember her name) who had a short pixie in The Astronauts Wife. Oh yea, the brunette on Baywatch (sorry, I am bad with names) had a pixie for some of the run.

Date Posted: April 05 2003 at 12:01am
A yes, Charlize Theron. Her hair was stunning in the Astronaut''s Wife. They used wax to give it that super piecy look. I think that is one of the best film hairstyles I have ever seen her in.

Date Posted: April 06 2003 at 8:32pm
I actually think that Charlize looks better in short hair than shoulder length hair because of the shape of her face. Actually I think she looks stunning in either a short pixie like in the Astronaut's Wife or in much longer locks, below her shoulder. I think she could do long/short but not so much in between.

Posted By: tony9999
Date Posted: April 06 2003 at 11:12pm
Although I may be in the minority I loved Liv Tyler's pixie a few years ago..

Josie Davis formerly of "Charles in Charge" wares her hair in a pixie that looks wonderful

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=josie+davis&btnG=Google+Search - http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=josie+davis&btnG=Google+Search

Always like Shirley Jones in a pixie and she wore it into her 60's or later...

http://www.lifetimetv.com/images/shows/ip/portraits/ip_bio2_shjones.jpg - http://www.lifetimetv.com/images/shows/ip/portraits/ip_bio2_shjones.jpg

I agree with most of the posts If you have the face for it a pixie is ageless and beautiful at any age.

-------------
Change is good for the soul and fun to talk about!

Date Posted: April 07 2003 at 2:41am
I agree about Josie. Definitely looked good short.

I saw Pat Benatar tonite on Charmed and although she doesn't exactly have a pixie, she has a short bob w/ very long bangs. What is that style called? It looks good on her. I like her with lighter hair too.

Posted By: SuperGrover
Date Posted: April 07 2003 at 10:11am
Wonder Woman jst got a pixie, and she's like 60 or 70!

-------------
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Date Posted: April 07 2003 at 10:30am
There is that Wonder Woman again. They were writin plenty 'bout her on the celebrity board.
If Wonder woman is 70, how come she looks like a 35 year old?! They don't age much in the comic books do they!!!!!
Glad she went to a short hair look even if she is just a fictionial character.
Ya notice too how they give her bigger too. She's gettin ed up ain't she!!!!!

Posted By: demodoll
Date Posted: April 10 2003 at 8:33am
I don't know if it is so much face shape or body shape that makes a pixie look good. I don't think they look good on very large women. Makes them look sort of like a pin head. There is something sort of waifish about a small girl with a pixie that is very attractive. Somehow I can't picture Cameron Manheim (who looks very good with her long hair) wearing one.

-------------
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Posted By: hairalways
Date Posted: April 10 2003 at 9:28pm
Well...Strangely enough... I think the name says it all. Pixie....if you can imagine the person flittering about in a little outfit like tinkerbell (halle, winona, charlize - yes), then I guess they are themselves pixieish and therefore, befitting of the trademark hairstyle!!

jacqui

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2003 at 9:41pm
I'm not a very big woman and I wear a pixie but a "tinkerbell outfit"? I don't think so.

-------------
Lady Maria

Date Posted: April 11 2003 at 12:14am
Well if Lara Flynn Boyle (who often has short cuts even though she is longer now) can wear a ballerina outfit to the Golden Globes don't be surprised to see a Celeb in a Tinkerbell outfit. It just could happen. LOL.

Posted By: hairalways
Date Posted: April 12 2003 at 3:18pm
Maria - My depiction was figurative - NOT Literal.
That would be silly.

jacqui

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2003 at 5:50pm
I know Jacqui. I was just being a little silly too.

-------------
Lady Maria

Date Posted: April 14 2003 at 1:30pm
OK I think we all agreed that Pixie cuts are not limited by age or other factors and that bottom line they can look good on anyone. However, I have an auntie that has a pixie and it makes her nose look a lot more prominent and accentuates her double chin. So I definitely think that people who aren't good Pixie candidates should wear different styles. Just my opinion but thought I would share.

Date Posted: April 15 2003 at 9:55am
Hi Jazzy,

Yeah...well in theory it is a good idea that people select styles that enhance rather than detract from flaws but in reality people always don't. Why? Bad advice from a stylist or well meaning friend, lack of awareness of how to enhance w/ hairstyles or possibly even a lack of concern. Some people will opt for short and easy regardless of how it looks on them because of the convenience factor. So yes, I agree with you. However, life doesn't always work that way. :-)

Karen

-------------

Posted By: tina m
Date Posted: May 25 2003 at 11:48pm
Age is irrelevant.
How you look in short hair is the ONLY thing that matters.
People should know if they can wear their hair short, and how short they can wear it.

-------------
tina

Posted By: Jennifer
Date Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:36pm
Obviously, people should wear their hair how they like it best. After all, we're the ones who have to look in the mirror each day!

However, more than age, I say that the more overweight a person is, the worse super short hair can look. Short hair *can* (I'm not saying it always does) make an average-size person look heavier than she really is. A longer pixie might work for an obese woman, but real short hair just makes the entire body look bigger.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window