Forum Name: Short Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10310
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 4:22am

Topic: Want short hair but...
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Want short hair but...
Date Posted: April 13 2003 at 6:55pm
My hair is below my shoulders. I have a very busy life and would love to a "wash and wear" hairstylye and believe I have the features to pull it off.

However, I have a phobia of getting it cut short because my mother used to make me cut it short when I was a kid (up till around 12 or 13) and I hated it.

Has anyone else had a background like this? How did you deal with it?

TL

Replies:
Posted By: Lady Maria
Date Posted: April 13 2003 at 9:15pm
I had the opposite problem. My traditional Mexican-American family wanted me to keep my hair long and I really wanted to go with a short crop.

You have to decide for yourself you can't let your folks or how you were raised determine how you do things today as a grownup.

Get a hairstyle that you look good in and enjoy. If that is a short style, all the better!

-------------
Lady Maria

Posted By: hairalways
Date Posted: April 14 2003 at 11:46am
TL - I had the same sort of thing too. My mom used to cut mine short. It wasn't until hight school that i grew it out (finally) and have had a tough time with the issue of my hair since. I grow it out, cut it short - feel insecure with it that way and grow it out again.

You need to decide how much of "you" is identified by your hair. If you feel that you can feel good with it that way. Tahn go for it! Let go of the past. You are no longer that 12 year old. You are a grown up with completely different facial structure and style.

If you do identify a lot of yourself with your hair, then you may need to work through why that is before making any drastic hair changes. That is wherem I am. I am currently on the grow.....but trying to find out what my reasons are.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

jacqui

-------------

Posted By: Isla Q.
Date Posted: April 14 2003 at 1:19pm
That's good advice, you guys!
Isn't it strange how things you're dealing with now often take you back to your childhood when you think about it.
Like Jacqui said, TL, you're no longer that 12 year old, you're an adult now, who can make her own decisions.

Hope you work it out, and that whatever you decide makes you happy. Good luck!

-------------

Posted By: hairguy00
Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:50am
jennifer...
I find that remark about wash and wear hair offensive. You can still have wash and wear hair and look like a female. Please keep you rude comments to your self. We have many women on this board who have wash and wear styles and im sure they still look like a woman. Oh yea, by the way not all wash and wear styles are "absolutely short " , it really depends on the way your hair is and how you want to style it...

-------------

Posted By: tina m
Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 5:56am
Hairguy, Thank you.

Almost everything Jennifer says about short hair is condescending. She is obviously looking to pick fights with people. She claims she is just being "honest" but she really is just looking to be a "spoiler" on this board.

I have noticed she is doing the same thing on other boards with other people. Monica was attempting to give advice about breast implants for those interested in such a thing on another board, and Jennifer picked a fight with her about it and wouldn't drop the subject once Monica explained her point of view, she continued to give her a bad time.
Jennifer has done this sort of thing on other boards too.
She is a bitter person and a "know-it-all" who is very rude to nice people on this website. She justifies her rude manners and her condescending attitude toward others by saying she is just being "honest" about how she feels. But obviously she is a troublemaker looking to cause fights. It wouldn't surprise me if she is a "troll" looking to cause trouble. A person can make their points without being rude and condescending to others who are sincere people trying to get along with others.

-------------
tina

Posted By: Jennifer
Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 6:58am
Thanks for the valuable gossip, Tina. You're committing the same offense for which you accuse me! You can interpret my posts any way you choose, but you're putting words in my mouth that were not uttered by me.

You may want to look in the mirror before you start personal attacks.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:11am
Hairguy said you were rude to people and you are.

It isn't necessary to be brutally honest at all times.

Obviously, unless you are stupid or rude, you don't go on a short hair board where women and men enjoy short hair and are attempting to discuss different short haired styles, and then insult women with short hair styles and refer to those styles as "unfeminine". Some women, as pointed out, look very feminine in "wash and wear" short styles.

I agree with Hairguy, you don't need to be as rude to people as you are.

And lay off Monica on the other board. She is a sweetheart. We have already gotten your point that you don't agree with breast implants.

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:19am
Tina, I suggest you take a reading comprehension course. You even changed hairguy's words around!

Kindly keep the personal attacks to yourself. Unless you're a troll, that is.

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:25am
I quote.
Hairguy said to you, "Jennifer I find your remarks offensive" and"Please keep your rude comments to yourself".
That's pretty clear, and I agree with him.

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:30am
Actually he said "your remarks about wash and wear hair" that he found offensive.

But what's up with you girl. Why do you feel the constant need to lecture everyone? What makes you think you know everything? What makes you think you know so much more than everyone else?

Most of us are trying to enjoy ourselves a little here. Lighten up a little.

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:33am
You always have to have to last word, I've noticed. It will be yours.

Kindly stop with the personal attacks and gossip. They have no place on these forums.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:44am
You are right I get the last word.
Relax girl, lighten up a little!

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 10:03am
its funny how hypocritical people can be, calling other people gossips when they themselves are the true gossips. Tina M, thank you for pointing out to me, i want you to know i had you in mind when i first replied to this post. Jennifer, im going to give you a little advice my kindergarden teacher offered me many years ago...if you have nothing nice to say then dont say it at all...

-HG

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:21am
It's unfortunate that you're overly sensitive and took offense on my comments.

However, what on earth type of gossip did I perpetuate?

It's too bad that endorsed Tina's personal attack on me at the same time you called me hypocritical. If that's the way you plan to moderate the forum, I'll step out of your way.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:28am
You are doing a great job Hairguy at monitoring this board, and keeping it respectful and enjoyable for those of us that enjoy short hair for women and consider it feminine. Thank you.

Don't let Jennifer get to you, we know by now her agenda.

Thanks again Hairguy!.

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:29am
the attack was started by you against short hair in general...

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:32am
You are right Hairguy, obviously she was attacking short hair, you had a right to do what you did.

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:38am
I didn't start an attack on anyone (although one was certainly started on me).

But since you deleted my comments, no one can see that.

Sorry to disappoint you, Tina, but I have no agenda. You may give your opinion, but your opinion is not fact (nor are anyone else's opinions).

I've been registered here for years (and posted even when another forum software was used) and notice that both hairguy and Tina are new posters. I sincerely hope you both don't take so much of what is written personally.

An interesting slogan is "Attack the idea, not the person or personality."

I think it's wise.

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:49am
jennifer,
i may not have posted as much as you but i too remember the old software, though i was not registered then. i choose not to post much because i think if i would the board would seemed a little forced. Jennifer, i do not endorse any attacks on any members nor would i attack a member myself but when somebody comes onto my board and starts to trash and talk bad about the hairstyles people on this board wear i find it hard not to act against this person. I am going to ask you to please refrain from posting on this board any longer unless your comments will be helpful to the board and its wonderful members.

-HG

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:53am
I have chatted with numerous people on this board Jennifer since I have started writing here. You are the only one I have had a problem with. I've enjoyed my chats on Hair Talk.

I still think Hairguy had a right to delete you.
Refering to short haired women as not looking "female" isn't necessary to make your point that you like long hair better on women, and this IS a short haired board. And then you continue to argue with us and call Hairguy oversensitive, which I don't think is true.
Many of us short haired ladies ARE very feminine.

Use your common sense, don't go on a board where people who like short hair on women post, and then insult them by insinuating they don't look feminine! That's not necessary. Of course people would take offense to that just as they would if someone went on the long hair board and said that short haired women look feminine but longer haired women don't, or they found some other reason to insult long haired women.

The purpose of the Short Hair board is for people to enjoy and discuss Short hairstyles, obviously. On the long hair board they enjoy Long hairstyles.
That's why I don't go over to that board and insinuate directly or indirectly that they should cut their hair to look better. They know I have short hair but I don't try to make them feel bad or make them change their opinion about long hair. Obviously they WANT to have long hair and enjoy talking about long hairstyles, so I try and be sensitive to that.

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:57am
I'm not speaking about the number of posts -- the date of when you registered for the forums. It looks like you've been registered for only a few months, but perhaps you were lurking before that.

A piece of advice, however -- I'd be a little more cautious with the trigger finger on censorship. My words were sincere and not intended to offend, but you removed my words, so no one can see what I wrote. I did not "trash" short hair. Those who wish to find offense in life will probably find it wherever they wish.

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:00pm
Read what we said Jennifer.
.....and Hairguy's doing a great job.

-------------
tina

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:01pm
Offesive:
"you can still get a good style and look female"
that may not be a direct quote but its basically what you said

please leave this board and dont come back unless you have something positive to add to the conversation...

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:05pm
I can read what you read but you can't read what I read because of censorship. You're writing what you "think" I wrote.

Thus, the point of arguing against what I wrote is mute because the evidence is no longer there. That's the problem of censorship.

I don't attack people personally, Tina. I hope you learn not to do it, either.

Attack the idea, not the person or personality. Don't you think that's a good idea?

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:13pm
jennifer,
I deleted what you wrote so the poor girl who started this thread would not think that if she got that style she would look like a boy! its maybe be censorship, but im damn proud that i stopped you before you could damage this board any further, this is ridiculous. You seem to be one of those people that always has to argue with some one about something, be it wash and wear hair or breat implants, its all the same. Please just leave this board alone and let us be...

-HG

-------------

Date Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:14pm
I give up.
Thankfully Hairguy is monitoring this board. We are suppose to ENJOY short hairstyles here not slam them as being unfeminine, that defeats the whole purpose of the board, which is to discuss and enjoy various short hairstyles.

I noticed Dave Decker over on the long hair board deleted a couple of posts by a guy who was doing with the long haired board what you are doing with this board Jennifer.

Good for Dave and good for Hairguy.

Eventually no one would post on either board if people kept writing in insulting either short or long hair.

-------------
tina

Print Page | Close Window