Forum Name: Short Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10368
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 3:22am

Topic: going from long to short..... scared
Posted By: nwhorselady
Subject: going from long to short..... scared
Date Posted: August 19 2003 at 2:28pm
OK, I have had long, wavy hair, passed the small of my back for year, 20+, I am 39 years old, well almost and I am ready for a change.
Here are my reasons:
1. I am involved with horses and have to wash my hair almost daily, at least every other day, drying time is about 2-3 hours, don't like blow drying, takes forever and dries out my scalp.
2. I have my hair in a pony tail pretty much 24 hours a day, including when I go to sleep. Rarely, if ever, do I wear my hair open, so therefore I look like I have short hair anyway from the front at least.
3. I am ready for a change, kind of tired of the old look.
I am scared of the change however. I know it's only hair and it'll grow back, but to get it back this long from short hair could take 4-6 years.
I went to thehairstyler.com and aquired a membership to see what kind of hairstyles are out there, uploaded my picture and got an idea on what I would like to have my new style look like.
So now I need to find a hairstyles and muster up the guts to cut my hair off.
Any suggestions???? Is there anyone on here that went from long to short??? Any things to consider???
I really appreciate any suggestions!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
Dee

Replies:
Posted By: enfys
Date Posted: August 19 2003 at 3:50pm
Before you cut your hair, you should try some different styles and things. You could find a new one you love or have never worn before. You should also talk to some of your friends and family to get their opinions. Rather than going from long to short, why don't you only have a few inches cut off at a time, so you can get used to it being short gradually. If you cut it in one go, then find out you hate it, you're stuck with it. Also, short hair needs to be washed daily and blow-dried, and many people find it takes much more time and effort to keep it looking nice throughout the day. Just a few points there, but good luck in whatever you choose and I hope you like it!

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea - http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some

Posted By: Rod
Date Posted: August 19 2003 at 6:12pm
If you're nervous, it is a good idea to cut a few inches, see if you like it, and if you want to go shorter. If you do, then cut it again.

There are a few of problems with that. It is more expensive, takes awhile, and doesn't really give you what you want. You want a short style you can wear down that looks good with minimal work. Medium length styles may be more work than your long hair and more time consuming to style. And that's your goal.

You have a tough call. Go for the style you want now, and maybe regret it, or take it a little at a time.

As for styles, try here:

http://gallery.hairboutique.com/default.asp - http://gallery.hairboutique.com/default.asp

-------------

Posted By: tina m
Date Posted: August 19 2003 at 8:23pm
Yes Dee, I went from very long hair,-(past my waist)- to an above the shoulders bob cut. I was scared too, but I loved the look of the bob cut so I ended up really liking my new hairstyle, and it was much easier to take care of.

That was nearly seven years ago when I was a 20 year old. I gradually went shorter. I now wear my hair in a very short pixie like Alyssa Milano, Jamie Lee Curtis,Marley Shelton,etc.

Once you get used to a short style I am sure you will love it, and you get just as much attention from the guys when you have short hair as when you have long hair. Some will even like a short hairstyle on you better!

Good luck, let us know what style you choose for yourself!

-------------
tina

Posted By: HeadBoy
Date Posted: August 20 2003 at 11:03am
I had hair to my elbows for a while and I liked it a great deal. I've also had a shaved head (not a good look for me). Currently, I have a number 1 on the sides number 2 on top buzzcut. Getting long hiar cut short can be traumatic initially.

However, the day to day upkeep is much simpler and less expensive. I don't regret it for a minute.

When I first cut my hair it was for a job, but I wasn't forced to do it. If I wanted the job, which I did, I had to make consolations.

Point of all this blather is, I went from very long hair to a typical bussinessman's haircut and the change was both dramatic and liberating.

The suggestion to change your hair gradually is a good one. The important thing is to be happy with who you are and how you look. I'm turning 40 in November and can't imagine having my hair that long again.

Yes, it's a change, yes it can be scary, but if you want to do it (and your reasons seem very valid) don't let anything friends or strangers tell you sway you. It's a decision you have to make for yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-------------
Peace to all

Posted By: Twanda
Date Posted: August 20 2003 at 12:58pm
If you're ready for a change, then you're in the right frame of mind to get a different cut. Everyone has offered many very good suggestions such as going in stages and trying different looks. Since you are with horses all day and want your hair out of the way, make sure that the cut is either short enough to stay out of your eyes, mouth, etc or long enough to still put in a pony tail. Tell your stylist what you want to be able to do with your hair. If you don't already have a steady stylist you like and tust, talk to others and see who they recommend.

-------------

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: August 22 2003 at 7:17pm
I went from fairly long hair to medium short hair a number of years ago. My wife went from mid-back length long hair to super short hair a year ago.
It was a transition for both of us but neither of us regret it.

I don't think you will regret it either. I'm sure you can look sensational with a short hairdo.
It may be true that I am partial to women with short hair, but if people are objective there are many women who just look terrific in short hair styles. I find my wife incredibly attractive with her hair so very short.

Posted By: ballet dancer
Date Posted: August 25 2003 at 9:10pm
Hi, just be sure its what you want.

I myself went from wavy waist length to shoulder length last fall. It a exciting but scary experince but glad I did it. I now have my hair in a layered jaw length bob style no regreats at all.

Posted By: Kuroneko
Date Posted: August 26 2003 at 8:12am
If I could make a list of questions women should ask themselves to be sure they're ready for a drastic style change, those would definitely top the list. Women meant for long hair enjoy taking care of it and experimenting with different styles, so if you're feeling like yours is a burden to take care of and find yourself pulling it back the same way all the time, you're definitely ready for a change.
The part about being scared, I used to not understand when women said that, but now I think I do. For a while I used to have a buzzcut, but then I spent close to four years working on the very specific style of a fictional character I love. Part of her style involves a very long ponytail, so I spent those years growing mine to as long as it would go before it stopped by itself. When I got tired of attempting that style and wanted to change, I just kept thinking how long I'd been working on that pony, so when the time came to be rid of it, I was really nervous. I gathered the pony and picked up the scissors, and was just about to do it, when I got scared and put them down again :-P . That happened like three times in a row, and I got angry with myself for being such a coward. *laughs* But I knew if I didn't do it that day I'd never do it, so I took a deep breath and just started cutting. Once the pony was free, I felt all excited and optimistic, and was able to get the rest over easily.
From time to time I feel mildly disappointed I can't use my ponytail holders or some of my bigger hair clips anymore, but overall, I can't say I've regretted it yet.

Originally posted by nwhorselady nwhorselady wrote:

OK, I have had long, wavy hair, passed the small of my back for year, 20+, I am 39 years old, well almost and I am ready for a change.
Here are my reasons:
1. I am involved with horses and have to wash my hair almost daily, at least every other day, drying time is about 2-3 hours, don't like blow drying, takes forever and dries out my scalp.
2. I have my hair in a pony tail pretty much 24 hours a day, including when I go to sleep. Rarely, if ever, do I wear my hair open, so therefore I look like I have short hair anyway from the front at least.
3. I am ready for a change, kind of tired of the old look.
I am scared of the change however. I know it's only hair and it'll grow back, but to get it back this long from short hair could take 4-6 years.
I went to thehairstyler.com and aquired a membership to see what kind of hairstyles are out there, uploaded my picture and got an idea on what I would like to have my new style look like.
So now I need to find a hairstyles and muster up the guts to cut my hair off.
Any suggestions???? Is there anyone on here that went from long to short??? Any things to consider???
I really appreciate any suggestions!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
Dee

Posted By: ~QueenzBalla~
Date Posted: January 28 2004 at 8:48pm
I was going 2 cut my hair short like my girl T-Boz had hers back in '94,even tho my hair isn't all that long anyway its medium like just above my shoulders.I really like short hair 2 and i know ima love my hair even more once its cut and is so much easier 2 take care of than what i have 2 go through with it how it is now.

-------------
---------->I love<3 this game!

Print Page | Close Window