Forum Name: Short Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10388
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 6:30pm

Topic: trying to get g/f to take the plunge
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: trying to get g/f to take the plunge
Date Posted: December 31 2003 at 5:37pm
HI, I guess you could say i have a hair fetish and i like long hair but i enjoy cutting it the most and my girlfriend has waist length blonde hair and i was wondering if there was anyway to try and convince her to get her hair cut shorter ( to chin length bob or shorter) and do you have any suggestions to helping me convince her to cut her hair? thanks in advance

Replies:
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: December 31 2003 at 9:53pm
Ask her. If shes dead against it, dont push it. Its just hair. If shes continplating, then make it a fun bet or trade off or give her a gift certificate to an upscale salon. Just dont press your luck, hair isn't worth it.

Posted By: Kuroneko
Date Posted: January 01 2004 at 3:28am
Definitely don't approach it in a way that could even remotely be seen as creepy or fetishy, at first. Just start off by maybe pointing out a short-haired celeb you find attractive, and saying you think her hair is really nice. If you can do it in a gentle, non-frightening way, you might even suggest your girlfriend might look good in a similar style. If nothing else, she'll know what you like and a dialogue can be opened about it, so you'll each know where the other stands on the topic. But if she's not interested, you really shouldn't try to pressure or force her. If she thinks you're trying to control her hairstyle she's likely to resent you.

-------------
More awesome than a manatee!

Posted By: pixie lady
Date Posted: January 01 2004 at 4:16am
Just show her a photo of Halle Berry or Alyssa Milano.
If she doesn't want to look like that there is something wrong with her.

Posted By: bronnie
Date Posted: January 01 2004 at 12:21pm
As someone that had long hair for a long time I can probably relate to your girlfriend. There are a lot of people who seem to think they have the right to tell you what you should and should not do with your hair. When your hair is short they tell you that you should grow it out. When it is really long they tell you that you should cut it, "get it styled" (implying that long hair has no style), "update your look" (implying long hair is out of date) etc. It gets really annoying. If her hair is really long then I'm certain she has heard plenty of these subtle and not so subtle hints before and resisted them. She will see through your subtle hints as well.

Our hair is a part of us and what we do with it is very personal. Respect that. First find out what she likes about long hair. Does she particularly like her hair long or just hate getting it cut? Has she ever had shorter hair and if so, what did she think of it then? Answers to these questions will tell you how you might approach the subject.

You might first try to appreciate her long hair before you try to lop it off. Try to understand her as she is before you try to change her. I'm guessing you don't because you are asking us (a bunch of strangers) instead of her.

I don't mean this to sound as harsh as it probably does. If you have a hair fetish so be it. We all have our things that turn us on. But don't let that overshadow getting to know her as a person and not a head of hair to fulfill your fantasies.

Bronnie

-------------