Print Page | Close Window

Growing it: How do your ends feel?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1136
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 12:22pm

Topic: Growing it: How do your ends feel?
Posted By: Susan W
Subject: Growing it: How do your ends feel?
Date Posted: November 18 2004 at 7:09am
When you run your fingers through your hair, or comb it, how is the last half inch? Is it dry? Does it catch on the comb or fingers? How often do you trim it and how much do you trim off?

My last half inch does knot and I'm just wondering if it's normal or if I'm mistreating my hair somehow. I used to dye it heavily and now it's natural. My Touch of Sun maltreatment has finally been grown out and cut off...I really expected all of these kinds of problems to go away when I stopped all the chemicals. I was told on another long hair forum to dust my hair...this does work and making that last half inch less knotty, but they suggest I do it once a week, and I just don't have the time to do it so much. So, I wind up chopping off a half an inch every couple of months, which is really slowing my down when I'm trying to grow it much much longer.

I've tried giving only 1/8" or 1/4" (3mm. to 1/2cm.) trims, it helps, but I still get those knotty ends if I don't cut the last half inch. I oil it with jojoba, I use natural shampoo and conditioner without silicones, I have a wide toothed seamless comb and a brush with no seams or catchy parts, and I wear it up most of the time in hair safe holders. I eat right, drink lots of water, get vitamins in my protein shake blah blah blah.

So let me know how it is with your hair everyone!

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Replies:
Posted By: Viktoria
Date Posted: November 19 2004 at 8:55am
I do get the same thing you do, but I really think I do it to myself by being less than supercareful when I comb my hair. I tend to start combing too far up, and get knots at the very ends. I seem to see a difference when I am more careful and treat the ends with jojoba. And the splits that will happen eventually, I also think will make the hair tangle more easily at the ends. I think regular dusting helps as well.

I think no matter how careful one is, some damage will always happen.

-------------
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Posted By: Layla
Date Posted: November 19 2004 at 10:17am
My ends do feel dry and it catches on the comb and my fingers. I trim mine like very 8-10 weeks.
I need help with that problem too. I just end up putting something on the ends when I get ready for bed.

-------------
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Date Posted: November 19 2004 at 1:07pm
Thanks you two! I feel better knowing it happens to other ladies, and that I'll manage to get it long and keep it there as you have! I will try to be more careful combing too.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Date Posted: November 19 2004 at 8:59pm
Well I'm only 16 and my hair is 1 inch above bsl. So it's not very long. Plus I'm about to cut it to about shoulder level. My goal was bsl.

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: November 19 2004 at 10:14pm
I second everything Viktoria said... the way I comb is a big factor, and my ends always feel better after a dusting. (But lately I've been considering going scissor-free, to grow 100% natural ends. I'll post a query on this)

But no matter what I do, there's that 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the ends that feels a little different from the rest of the hair. Lately it's been less so, because nowadays, every day, I wear a bun or log roll. I do this at work or uni, and take my hair down at home.... Minimizing friction on clothes makes SUCH a HUGE difference!

Anais

Date Posted: November 20 2004 at 6:39am
Layla: Do you feel you reached your goal, and that's why you're going back to shoulder length?

Anais: Thanks so much! I'm feeling better and better about my hair with each person that tells me theirs does this too! I probably could pay more attention to clothing friction. Can you give me instructions on how you did your hair like that in your avatar photo? I think it looks so elegant!

-------------

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: November 20 2004 at 9:58am
I've found damaged hair is much more likely to tangle than undamaged hair, and the ends are where the damage is likely to be found. After I cut off my damaged parts, I had much less tangling.

I suggest you have a small trim and start applying a couple of drops of jojoba to your ends after you wash.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Date Posted: November 20 2004 at 12:50pm
Thanks so much, Susan :) You gave me warm fuzzies in my stomach. If you search for "dressytresses long hair styles gallery" in Yahoo, it should turn up a page of long hair instructions from Dressy Tresses. My do is the Basic Bun held with hair sticks.

By the way, your hair-safe barette page is AWESOME!

Anais

Date Posted: November 21 2004 at 8:15am
Thanks eKatherine! That's exactly what I just did, (got a half inch removed).

Thanks Anais! I didn't realize it was a basic bun, it looks in the photos sort of like a french twist, but going upwards instead of vertical, and I wondered how you held that with just a hair stick! Now I see! Thanks for the site, too.

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2004 at 2:59pm
Yup.. that's because the bun is really REALLY lopsided!!! LOL I oughta redo that avatar.

Anais

Date Posted: November 21 2004 at 6:45pm
Susan: yes, i feel like I reached my goal length but that's not why I'm cutting it. I just switched from going to the hairdresser to get my hair relaxed to doing it at home with phytospecific and phytospecific works much better and you can really tell a difference between my roots and my ends. So I'm going to cut it shorter so you can't see it that much. Plus i just feel like getting my hair cut. But if my mom cant find a salon to go to she'll be doing it so I can't get the layered style i want. I'll probably just get a blunt cut.

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2004 at 6:52am
No Anais! It's elegant, not lopsided! (slams fist on table!)

-------------

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: November 22 2004 at 9:42pm
It's not lopsided, it's asymmetrical.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Date Posted: November 23 2004 at 12:11am
ROFLMAO!!

Hugs and thanks,
Anais

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: November 28 2004 at 9:52pm
I just assumed you were looking slightly to your right.

Layla, thank you for answering our curiosity (well, mine and Susan's). BTW Susan, I checked your hair page and you have great hair! Looks very healthy and beautiful. Is it still shoulder-length, and how long do you plan to grow it from there?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window