Print Page | Close Window

Do I have to do it???

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1145
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 12:27pm

Topic: Do I have to do it???
Posted By: noangel555
Subject: Do I have to do it???
Date Posted: November 24 2004 at 1:59pm
Hey guys, well, my colortreated hair is 23 inches long, and the last 4 or 5 inches are heavily damaged... my hair does not seem to grow any longer anymore- do i need to have those inches chopped? I just really love the length and want it longer, but if it's damaged at the ends that much it wont really grow good right? Can anyone give me tips or know of a *good* long hair loving salon in Arizona. Thank you guys!

Replies:
Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: November 24 2004 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by noangel555 noangel555 wrote:

Hey guys, well, my colortreated hair is 23 inches long, and the last 4 or 5 inches are heavily damaged... my hair does not seem to grow any longer anymore- do i need to have those inches chopped? I just really love the length and want it longer, but if it's damaged at the ends that much it wont really grow good right?

The problem is not with your roots and growth, it is that your hair is breaking off at the ends from long-term damage that has happened to it.

I used to have this same problem. A couple of times a year I'd go and get a trim, but the next week my ends were thinning out again.

Only after I realized that I needed to take better care of my hair did I start to make progress on growing healthy hair. So you need to figure out how to improve the health of your hair so it can grow longer. Then you can trim a little bit at a time, or take off the damaged section all at once.

You say you color...how often do you color-treat the ends? What do you wash and condition with? Do you oil your hair?

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: noangel555
Date Posted: November 24 2004 at 2:41pm
thank you for the reply, i used to dye my hair permanent red for 3 years-before that blonde. i am pretty sure this is the last part of it, but yes it just keeps breaking off at the ends, i wash with pantene volumizing shampoo and infusium, is this bad? i just switched to the viviscal shampoo and conditioner, i'm also taking the supplement. I do oil my hair once in a while, jojoba, coconut and castor. I think my hair has always been trimmed with bad scissors too, any recommendations on where to get a nice pair? dont have the money to blow at the salon... thanks again

-------------

Posted By: alista
Date Posted: November 24 2004 at 3:56pm
sounds funny but check www.petedge.com for some shears. I'm a dog groomer and our shears are as good as the ones they use in people salons. You can get a pair of 5" or 7" shears for under $50. Sounds like a lot to pay up front but that's the cost of just 2 trims at the salon.

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: November 24 2004 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by noangel555 noangel555 wrote:

thank you for the reply, i used to dye my hair permanent red for 3 years-before that blonde. i am pretty sure this is the last part of it, but yes it just keeps breaking off at the ends, i wash with pantene volumizing shampoo and infusium, is this bad? i just switched to the viviscal shampoo and conditioner, i'm also taking the supplement. I do oil my hair once in a while, jojoba, coconut and castor.

From what you say it sounds like you just started using a conditioner, and until now have been shampooing only and using infusium. It's possible that part of your problem is silicone buildup, which comes from using conditioning products that contain silicones (ingredients which end in -cone). Infusium contains a heavy dose of silicones, and you let them dry on your hair, so they tend to bond there. The best thing to do is clarify your hair with a vinegar rinse. Dilute 1/2 cup of vinegar in 1 quart of warm water and wet your hair with this before washing. I would leave it on for a few minutes before washing. This is harmless and cheap, so if buildup wasn't a problem, there's nothing lost.

I looked up Viviscal conditioner ingredients, and it looks like there aren't any silicones in it.

You really should put two or three drops of oil in your hair after every wash. It'll make a big difference. Just rub the oil across your fingertips and work it into your ends. Brush lightly to distribute.

Of course, when I had this problem, I gave up shampooing and just wash with conditioners. My hair is in great condition right now. I've trimmed 3-3/4 inches since April. Not only is it longer than it was when I started (which it should be), but the ends look great, and there's very little new damage.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Print Page | Close Window