Print Page | Close Window

Razor cuts...ow and ew!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1146
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 12:22pm

Topic: Razor cuts...ow and ew!
Posted By: Harvy
Subject: Razor cuts...ow and ew!
Date Posted: November 27 2004 at 1:16pm
When i went to get my hair cut a few weeks ago, the hairdresser didnt use a razor (as they always have done for my hair......i go to a different salon each time) and he used scissors instead. Then when i asked to get it thinnned out, again he didnt use a razor, he used scissors and took sections of my hair and snipped at them to produce thinner ends. I really like it this way, now i dont feel like i have split ends as soon as i get out of the salon.

I dont really like the razor cut look becauuse it makes it look as though you are in need of a cut again (especially with long hair that has layers).

Furthermore, there is no pain associated with getting it thinned out anymore, i hated the tuggiing while getting it thinned out with the razor before.

Anyway else say no to razor cuts?

Replies:
Posted By: korsakovhatt3
Date Posted: November 27 2004 at 2:16pm
Razor cuts actually work really well for me. My stylist is awesome. My layers are razored (painlessly). Everyone's hair is different, though. I know lots of people who hate how their hair looks after a razor cut. My hair is thick but it's a very fine texture. I like the precision my stylist gets with the razor. My layers blend very well and I don't have to style my hair -- the layers just fall into place.

I did have a cut a few years ago, though, by a different stylist. She used a razor and my ends looked fly-away. I had to use a styling product to smooth them. I think she was just a bad stylist, though. Or maybe the razor was dull.

-------------
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: November 28 2004 at 9:03pm
How long is your hair, Harvy?

If it isn't long, it probably doesn't matter much whether your hair is cut with a razor or scissors.

But if it's long, you should know that cutting hair with a razor leaves the ends of the hair strands in a very fragile state. Instead of being cut straight across the shaft (perpendicular to the direction of the strand), a razor cuts at an angle, leaving the ends in a weakened state. If you plan to keep the current length and visit the salon frequently to freshen up the style, razoring can work for you. But if you're trying (now, or sometime later) to grow out the layers, you'll first need to get them shaped with scissors, because otherwise in time you'll have a head full of split ends.

-------------

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: March 02 2005 at 11:49pm
So how long does your hair have to be before you can get it thinned out?

Posted By: Grace912
Date Posted: March 04 2005 at 9:13am
Another question is: What texture is your hair? Because if you have straight hair, razors can work well. But on curly hair, all they do is produce frizz.

-------------
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?

Print Page | Close Window