Print Page | Close Window

PurpleBubba's Progress & Trim Update

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1198
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 10:34am

Topic: PurpleBubba's Progress & Trim Update
Posted By: PurpleBubba
Subject: PurpleBubba's Progress & Trim Update
Date Posted: January 15 2005 at 4:28am
These are some recent Journal Entries.

January 2005 New Year, New Plan - Posted Jan 1

It is now officially the New Year in Michigan. Until yesterday I really didn't have a plan or resolutions. But after seeing so many people who have gone ahead and made changes for the better I've decided to make some changes towards healthy hair.

I have really been struggling the past 6 months with my routine. I have started to fall back into my rut of tangles and breaking during combing. Who am I kidding? I didn't start falling I fell in. In the past few months I have worn my sleep tail maybe 3 times. That sleep tail is my routine. Without that I might as well forget the rest. I cannot sleep with loose hair. It does not work for me. Maybe a satin pillowcase would help? Duh, it will.

My goal was set at 36" which is about waist on me. In September I did a trim and measured about 33". I have not measured since then. Here's the thing. I'm probably at least 34"-35" right now. I don't want to be getting to waist length yet. I have not earned that right. And I have not Learned that length. So as of now my goal is still 36" but I am not allowed to get there until the end of this year. Yeah, how do I not grow my hair? For starters I don't care what my hair measures right now. It could be 37 inches. I am cutting my hair back to 33 inches. That's step 1. I don't care if that's 1/2 inch or 4 inches. I have way too many broken ends, shorter pieces, and "undesigned layers" to keep growing without getting them under control.
That means that my goals for the year are

1. Start at 33"
2. Do Search and Snips on splits and breaks. Often.
3. Keep hair growing towards 36" but do not pass it early. Hitting 36" early means a required immediate trim of 1 inch minimum. No exceptions to this rule. I don't care if some miracle happens and splits go away. The waist is off limits before 2006.
4. Do trims regularly to maintain hem ends. Work out trim frequency to take 1/2 inch at least every trim to maintain good hem.
5. Learn how to do something other than a gosh darn ponytail. What the heck do I have this long hair for? I better be doing braids by summer. At least to try sleeping in them.
6. Denman Brush - Must Have Now!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 Inch Trim From 34" Back To 31" - Posted Jan 7

Before at 34" (Also a fresh washed, unmessed with picture to show me as 2a)

It's at least 3"

After with my now 31" hair. I did smooth it down a tiny bit for this picture by applying some diluted White Rain EB. So don't judge my type using this.

Here's the same side by side

I am satisfied so far. My Mom hasn't seen it yet so I'll have to wait and see if she'll notice. I hope it's even enough that she won't notice that. But since I wear my hair in a ponytail in public most of the time it won't matter if it's a tiny bit uneven otherwise.

I think & feel that I made the right decision. Already it's a bit easier to get the brush and comb through the ends. First thing I noticed after the large snip was how thick those ends felt. It sorta felt that way in March when I trimmed but now it feels twice as thick. I still have a ton of splits everywhere to search for. But now that I got this out of the way that won't be a problem. This is the first trim of over 2 inches I've had since the one in late 97. That one took at least 3 inches off because of my 3 year grow out of the 3.5" long cut with no trims. The one in March 04 took between 1/2" and 2" because of the V tip. That was the second time I went 3 years without.

For those who missed my previous entries, I did this because I'm getting too close to waist length before I'm ready for it. I just purposely set myself back from that length by about a year. I still need to learn how to have long hair before I have longer hair. So I didn't need 2 weeks to think about it. I'm Happy.

For the wash yesterday I used V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze CO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's my old signature

Journal ~ http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9422 - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9422
Articles ~ http://angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Articles.html - http://angelfire.com/mi/bbubba/LHC/Articles.html
Forums ~ http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family - http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Signature Picture As Of Today 1/7/05 (the rest stayed the same)

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Replies:
Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: January 17 2005 at 3:21pm
Hey Robert,

Re: having waist-length hair, you wrote, "I have not earned that right." Hmm... can't say I understand that notion. If you've grown it, you have that right. But I do conceptually understand what you mean when you next wrote that you "have not learned that length."

You wrapped by saying that you are happy with where you are at in this endeavor. Well, I am happy for you -- thumbs up!

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2005 at 3:37pm
Thanks Dave.

What I mean by that is I still have a lot of bad habits. Until recently I was starting to fall back into them. So until I stop doing those bad habits completely I'm not going to let myself get to my goal. I don't want waistlength or longer and still be ripping through my hair. I may have had this long hair for years, but I've only been caring for it for about 6 months.

It's kinda like the "anyone can have a kid but it takes more to be a parent."

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 11:20am
Originally posted by PurpleBubba PurpleBubba wrote:

It's kinda like the "anyone can have a kid but it takes more to be a parent."

Okay, I get it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 5:12pm
Jan 22 Wet - Dry Pics - From Journal

Warning: Bubba could break out into a pondering at any moment. Be prepared to be taken on a ride. Please keep your hands inside the car at all times and your safety belts fastened. We are not responsible for injury or loss of property while reading this entry.
Thank You,
Management of BubbaLand

I CO washed today with V05 Strawberries & Cream.
Note: The one I used says Moisture Milks on the bottle and is a different formula than the ones that don't say Moisture Milks. Same with the Creamy Peaches one. If you tried them before and didn't like them they might be worth another try. Also if you liked the old one and suddenly it seems different this might be why. Also an update on the last wash. I liked my results from the Creamy Peaches and did not use anything else on my hair from then till today when I washed. So that one is a keeper so far.

Anyway, I decided to do a progression type thing with pictures from wet to dry so here goes.

Wow, lots of waves ~~~~~~~~ this time. :)
Here's today compared to my before trim picture which was also dried and left alone. I think the difference is that I didn't squeeze my hair at all this time. It took longer to dry but it's less messed with.

I'm also amazed at how I know I took at least 3 inches off yet it hardly looks like it. Even with the extra waves pulling up.

-------------

Posted By: Innamorata594
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 10:21am
bubba. if i may give you a slight suggestions... With hair your length, you may want to invest in a shampoo/conditioner set a step up from VO5...while it's not as bad as some others, you can still do better. Think of your hair as a t-shirt...A tshirt that you put in the washer and dryer almost every single day..assuming that youve been growing your hair for several years...This tshirt youve been throwing in and out of the dryer for several years on end, pulling at it, yanking it every which way...tying it all up with tight little elastics...Its bound to rip and tear a bit! luckily, from what I see, this looks like your virgin haircolor. and Lucky for you, your hair is stronger then a tshirt, and isnt going to hole up any time soon im sure...but you could atleast wash the shirt in some good detergent! ya know! wash your hair with some nice shampoo and conditioner from a salon... deep condition it once and a while... trust me-your hair deserves it.

-------------
Sara

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 10:48am
Purplebubba doesn't use shampoo anymore. Neither do I. CO wash is washing your hair with a light conditioner, which dissolves the oils and leaves your hair in better condition than shampoo would. I follow this with one or more other conditioners for moisturizing and shine. My hair has never been in better condition.

You should keep this process in mind for your clients, when you finish school and start working in a salon. Very few stylists have any idea how to best cater to long-haired clients, and so people with long hair often end up cutting their own hair rather than risking having a stranger do something weird and unexpected to their hair.

Some salon products are better than some retail products, but many are very similar in composition to cheap products sold in the drugstore. Price is not directly related to quality.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 11:49am
Thanks to both Sara and eKatherine.

I appreciate both posts equally.

As for what I'm doing, I'm simply on a journey. I started out with cheaper products because I'm of the belief that it's not about price or where you get it as much as it's about finding the products that work on your individual hair.

Product companies are changing their product lines all the time because you can't just say a product is for normal hair or curly hair or thin hair and have that be a one size fits all.

Hair is as unique as a fingerprint and even if 2 million people have a very similar hair type to mine and all use the same product, that won't mean that it will work for me.

You have to also factor in weather, water type, mixing products. Meaning using Shampoo A and Conditioner A one day and then next time using Shampoo A with Conditioner X.

Those two may or may not mix well, and then when you factor in water type and temperature who knows what will happen? You might do the same exact thing for 10 straight washes and not get the same results 2 times. There's always a factor you don't see.

So what does this mean?
It means my hair might like the stuff that costs $1 or it might like the stuff that costs $20.

Then factor in which products have silicones and which don't. Which have this sulfate or that one.

The main point is, you have to look at hair care as based on individuals and not as certain types or certain races. You can't just say someone has Asian or African or Caucasian hair anymore.

I'm not saying either of you are wrong. Just want to give my perspective.

It's good to recommend quality, but be careful about pushing the more expensive stuff. Some clients just don't like to be sold stuff. But some do. :)

I really liked your T shirt analogy. You remind me of me. :)

Eventually I will try some salon stuff.

-------------

Posted By: Innamorata594
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 3:01pm
Ive done a lot of research on this. And if your shampoo/conditioner is working good for you, great! ekath and purplebubba--the result you get with any shampoo has to do with it's PH level... Most quality brands take special care in selecting a perfect medium for their product..It actually has nothing to do with your hairtype, so you are absolutely right. You said neither of you use shampoo, Thats probably a good thing given that your hair wont get greasy...Shampoo strips your hair of all natural oils while it cleanses, and
conditioner is to replace those oils. eKath-- you said that I should keep in mind how to care for long hair--the picture you see on the left, my hair is clipped under into a bun with tendrils hanging in the back..My hair is actually about 1/2 a foot above my butt, so yes, I do take many of these things into consideration for long haired clients...As a long haired person myself. No- Price is not always directly associated with quality, but quality products have quality ingredients (i can list some of these for you if you disagree)--which tend to be a bit more costly...Proteins in a conditioner are the only thing that you can actually buy the the market that literally will REPAIR your hair...Most of the drugstore products do temporary relief, and they do a great job sometimes...but products with protein with give your split ends, dry spots, etc. a much healthier, noticable difference in the long run. The only reason I say that is because long hair is much more prone to split ends and damage then, say, short hair...So you need to do for the hair now as much as you can for it to be healthy a 2 years from now. I hope you understand what Im trying to say. Products really do make all the difference.

-------------
Sara

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 3:23pm
I think you explained that very well. I know exactly where you are coming from.

That's much better than saying "Buy a salon product because drug store products don't work"

You mean quality not necessarily Salon.

That's good advice. Have you tried any that you like?

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Very few stylists have any idea how to best cater to long-haired clients, and so people with long hair often end up cutting their own hair rather than risking having a stranger do something weird and unexpected to their hair.

On the general topic last discussed, I fully believe in people feeling empowered to use the products and routine which they have discovered to work best for their own hair's needs.

I want to add to eKatherine's (quoted) comment. To me, her general advice to stylists seems to indicate an excellent opportunity for stylists who want to distinguish their range of services to truly include "long hair care" (and in this context, by "long" I mean about waist-length or longer). I still hear about and read personal vignettes wherein stylists (even those who profess to be skilled in handling long hair) botch the job. Principally, I think, because they don't truly know how to handle long hair (mostly, they seem to just make that claim in order to get the client to their chair). Long hair needs to be washed differently than short hair. Long hair needs to detangled differently than short hair. Almost all stylists have no clue to this basic truth. Their formal education does not adequately teach them all they need to know. This is why so many long-haired people avoid salons -- because they have learned (through others experiences, or) the "hard way" that most all stylists just don't know how to handle long hair. I do wonder when stylists -- and the schools that train them -- wake up to the fact that people with long hair want their hair to be long and maintained well, and won't patronize salons until stylists learn how to avoid damaging or wrecking their customer's long hair.

-------------

Posted By: Gormlaith
Date Posted: February 08 2005 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

I still hear about and read personal vignettes wherein stylists (even those who profess to be skilled in handling long hair) botch the job. Principally, I think, because they don't truly know how to handle long hair (mostly, they seem to just make that claim in order to get the client to their chair). Long hair needs to be washed differently than short hair. Long hair needs to detangled differently than short hair. Almost all stylists have no clue to this basic truth. Their formal education does not adequately teach them all they need to know. This is why so many long-haired people avoid salons -- because they have learned (through others experiences, or) the "hard way" that most all stylists just don't know how to handle long hair. I do wonder when stylists -- and the schools that train them -- wake up to the fact that people with long hair want their hair to be long and maintained well, and won't patronize salons until stylists learn how to avoid damaging or wrecking their customer's long hair.

Not that I have any stylist experience, even as a customer, but one thing may be the lack of broad hair knowledge. My own experience is that I just assumed everybody had hair as easy as mine. Having long hair would not have saved me from making some of those very same mistakes in washing or detangling another.

Certainly someone in a hair business should have vast knowledge but there just are not many long haired people willing to be practiced on. Bet most long haired people would never set foot in a hairdressing school if they intend to walk out of there longhaired. Kind of a circular problem then, no practice until trusted, no trust until they have practiced.

Gormlaith

-------------

Posted By: ames
Date Posted: February 09 2005 at 5:44am
i have to agree- you don't need the expensive products, i buy a huge bottle of johnsons baby shampoo for about £1 which works amazingly well...i do pay more for condiioner, but i use so little that it doesnt really matter. same goes for shower gel, body lotion etc- all baby products- as a have slightly sensitive skin and they are very kind and softening..

-------------
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....

Date Posted: February 13 2005 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Gormlaith Gormlaith wrote:

Certainly someone in a hair business should have vast knowledge but there just are not many long haired people willing to be practiced on. Bet most long haired people would never set foot in a hairdressing school if they intend to walk out of there longhaired. Kind of a circular problem then, no practice until trusted, no trust until they have practiced.

Hi Gormlaith,

I completely agree with you on the nature of the "circular" problem. I don't know that there is any more than one way this problem can be solved, and that is for stylists (and the schools that teach them) to begin to learn (and teach) the basics of how to handle long hair so that they don't mangle it into a snarly ball of tangles when they wash it, and so that they learn to comb from the ends and gradually work their way up the hair shaft, and when necessary to employ their fingers to pull apart knots.

That's the high-level summary.

Just indicating an opportunity for anybody to whom it may concern and who may be interested in considering the path. Will there ever be any takers?

-------------

Posted By: Imani
Date Posted: February 21 2005 at 3:03pm
Hi PurpleBubba,
I'm new on this site and although i dont have long hair yet i am trying to grow it down to at least bra length. I am african american so my hair needs are somewhat different from yours (hair texture is 4b i think). The main question i wanted to ask was, on average how many inches does your hair grow in a month by using the vitamins that you are on now. And how fast did it grow before you started taking the vitamins?

---Imani

Date Posted: February 21 2005 at 5:24pm
Hi Imani, unfortunately I don't have the answer to that yet. Other than the Biotin which I've been taking since November the other stuff has been being used for just under a month. It usually takes a few months to kick in if it's going to. I'm trying to take lower doses too. Some of the bottles say to take 2 and I'm only taking 1 because I have the other stuff.

The main thing is I tried to do a safer routine. There are some people who might be taking 4 times as much stuff as me. Not necessarily here at HB though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I do want to wish you good luck with your progress. The main thing is to take it slow and try not to add too many things to a routine at one time. That makes it harder to figure out what worked or didn't. So baby steps are good if you're new.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window