Print Page | Close Window

How much conditioning?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1210
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 10:30am

Topic: How much conditioning?
Posted By: GoldieLocks92
Subject: How much conditioning?
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 6:12pm
As from my other posts, you might know that I am trying to grow my hair long. In this, I want to know the correct way to condition and how much to condition.
I heard to only condition below your ears as not to clog hair follicles.
I also heard to condition, shampoo, condition to prevent breakage. Isn't this harsh on the hair (I use a natural shampoo with no sulfates in them if it makes a difference).

thanx, A.

-------------
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Replies:
Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 6:23pm
Hi GoldieLocks,

As the days pass since your last shampooing, the sebum from the scalp tends to work its way down your hair shafts. That's why it's generally recommended to condition your hair from from the ears downward -- since the length above the ears (first several inches) will be "naturally" conditioned from the scalp's sebum.

I used to occasionally use the CWC (condition, wash, conditon) method and it worked well for me. I would glob on an inexpensive conditioner and leave it on overnight, then Wash-Condition in the morning, to excellent effect. Lately, I haven't been taking the time for the initial "C" but I think it would help me.

-------------

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 6:51pm
The main thing to understand is, this is all about what your hair likes. No matter what anyone else does it only matters how it works for you.

I personally do a Conditioner Only wash.

I enjoy my CO routine.

I apply conditioner.

Since my hair is already kinda long I then grab my hair in a tail and kinda put it on top of my head like a horsehoe or upside down U shape.
I put a plastic bag / cap on. I then scrunch the bag down to make it close to my head. I then put a claw clip on the outside to hold it down. The reason for the cap is it lets your body heat stay inside and acts like a heat cap a bit.

I then sit for about 20 minutes, with a radio on and drinking my coffee.

I then rinse off conditioner.

I then apply the same conditioner and then rinse right away.

Sometimes I will turn the last rinse water from warm to cool to finish.

The only time I don't enjoy it is when the hot water runs out too soon. I don't mind cold water rinses, but I at least like to go from warm to cold rather than jump into the cold.

That's just how I do mine. You might like some other way?

Your hair might like silicones or cones? Or maybe it will like them sometimes but not all the time?

It's all about experimenting.

I have also at times done a quick wash where I applied the conditioner and rinsed it off, then applied and rinsed off. The same way you would do a regular S&C. I did those using V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Conditioner. It's a clarifying conditioner so I pretend it's a shampoo sometimes. Be careful though because some people don't like it. It can be drying or irritating to some. If you aren't sure about it only use it once in awhile.

Do you like the products you have?

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 10:43pm
What are silicones/cones?
I am sort of experimenting right now. I went from Pantene (I heard it was really bad) to a natural shampoo and conditionar (I think it was 'Nourishing Spa' shampoo and some citrus conditionar by Trader Joes). My hair felt softer and stayed softer before (when using Pantene) but now it gets tangly easier- is this normal when switiching, especially from such a highly chemical shampoo?
Tonight I tried the CSC routine and I guess I'll see how it turned out in the morning

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 12:13am
You can find a list of silicones on this page if you scroll down to them

http://naturallycurly2.com/curlscene/entry.php?id=326&entrytype=articles - http://naturallycurly2.com/curlscene/entry.php?id=326&entrytype=articles

Keep in mind that even if you do use them it's ok. Just be sure to clarify your hair once in awhile.
That means wash with something that will remove them and give you a fresh start.

Some people like to use Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

When you do this for the first time it is important that you use a tiny bit of vinegar and lots of water.
I'd say try a few spoonfuls of V in a large cup or bottle of water. The next time you can try more V but for the first time you want to be careful. Vinegar does burn some people and some can't use it. Watch out for your eyes too.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 4:06pm
I think I actually have some of that, too. When I do this, is it aside from a CSC routine (by the way, it worked out!) or do I use it as a shampoo or conditionar?
Also, I know its a stupid question, but how do you know when your ends are split? lol. And how long does it take for them to develope (on average) so I know when to look for them. Its been about 3 months since I trimmed my edges I think.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 5:54pm
For splits, which is not a stupid question because I've seen it hundreds of times, open up a page on your computer with a white background. Like a blank text file or something.

Then hold up strands of hair in front of it and look to see if you see any "Y" shapes. Sometimes they aren't right by the ends.

For ACV rinses, you can do them whenever you want really. Don't do them too often though.

When I do mine, I usually do them at the end of a wash. Like in my instructions above it would go after the second conditioner is rinsed out.

But you can do it in the middle, or before, or just hop in the shower and do just vinegar. Whatever you like.

I think a good routine to start is maybe once or twice every month. It doesn;t have to be a lot unless you use a lot of other stuff that would build up. I don't do them very often myself. I did 3 last year for the whole year. But I might try more often. I think once a month is a good average.
If you'd rather use a shampoo for that you can buy one that says clarifying. Just remember to not use it often. 1-2 times a month is plenty.

Please don't be afraid to ask questions. These boards work because people are asking these questions. Everytime we answer your question there might be 10, 100, 1000 people who didn't know the answer who now do. Or at least a possible answer.

I didn't know stuff until I learned. I got a little bit of both. I went to some school and also visited boards. Before that I didn't know. Thank you for asking. I'm glad you are. :)

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 6:14pm
Thanks purplebubba. I will definetly keep posting questions because I have a ton!
You said the ACV burns some people, can you test this on your hand before or is it different on your scalp? Do you apply to just scalp or just hair or both?
Thanx!

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 7:14pm
For applying you can try one of these

1. An old ketchup bottle.
2. An old Hair product bottle. I used a V05 bottle.
3. You can get one of those hair color application bottles from a beauty supply store.
4. A honey bottle.

I think you get the idea there.

You can use it on the scalp or the length or both. I used the V05 bottle so I could put some on different spots.

You can also just get a pitcher or large bottle and just kinda dump it on but that's when it gets tricky because it could get in your eyes.

It wouldn't hurt to test on your hand first, but I don't know for sure if that's the same as the scalp. It might depend on whether or not you've scratched your scalp at all. Sometimes things will irritate the scalp if you have scratches.

The key thing to remember is more water, less vinegar. Until you know what you can handle.

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 6:25pm
Just tried the vinegar thing, and it worked! No irretation. thanx purplebubba

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 7:21pm
cool, glad it worked ok.

was it Apple or regular / white vinegar?

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 7:54pm
Now that I think about it, I hope I used the right kind because it was 'Apple Cider Vinegar' lol!

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 8:02pm
I've tried both.
Some like the apple cider better cuz it doesn't smell as bad for them. But my first ever was with White. Then I bought some ACV.
I did 1 white rinse and 2 apple

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:56pm
Why can't you do this very often? You'd think you'd need to!

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:13pm
Because the point is to remove build up and not to strip your hair every day.

Or at least that's what I think.

Too much is like shampooing every day. It's just too much washing and not enough oiling or conditioning.

If you want to do it once a week that might be ok but try not to do more than that. At least not until you get a routine going and know for sure that vinegar works for you. Some things end up not working after a while.

I don't remember the exact reasons but I don't think it's good.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2005 at 5:54pm
How much is too much when it comes to shampooing? I do my CSC routine every other day.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2005 at 6:27pm
every other day is good. Most recommend shampoo no more often than that.

If that works for you then I'd say stick with it unless you want to try less often.

CSC I assume is Condition Shampoo Condition and the same as CWC / Con Wash Con?

You only put the shampoo on your scalp right?

I'd say try doing what you're doing now and do vinegar once a week or once every 2 weeks.

I mean see if that works for you.
Play around and experiment. Just try not to do too much at one time.

I've seen people doing so much in one day to their hair it was like they were living in the shower and couldn't figure out why their hair was still messed up.

Hair is like a cranky child if you don't let it sleep.

So take baby steps, and see what works.

Date Posted: January 27 2005 at 10:49pm
Yes, CSC is Condition Shampoo Condition.
I only use shampoo on my scalp.
How often is it ok to do a leave in conditionar. As you said, too much on your hair is bad and I wanted to try the leave in conditionar some time soon but I don't want it to be too harsh on my hair, after the vinegar.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2005 at 12:51am
Its ok to use one as often as your hair needs it.

If you are using one with silicones in it then you just need to clarify once in awhile to get a fresh start. Such as the vinegar.
Get used to touching your hair. Maybe take notes.

example:

Day 2 - day after such and such type wash - hair still feels clean.

Day 3 - used leave in but hair feels ok still.

Day 4 - used leave in starting to feel slick.

If you wash every other day you might not get to the slick feel? Depends what you use.

Just remember, no matter what any of us say, it's up to you to do the experiments with your hair.

Date Posted: January 29 2005 at 7:49pm
Thanks bubba. Is there a "minimum" time you should leave the conditionar in? I know it differs but I left mine in for about half an hour and it doesnt feel much different.

-------------

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: January 29 2005 at 8:15pm
I would look at the label instructions for guidance. If it does not say to leave it in for a few minutes, then there's no point. If it recommends leaving it in, try it and see if it helps.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Date Posted: January 29 2005 at 10:44pm
As far as leaving them in for CO washing, someone said that after 20 minutes it won't soak any further into the hair if it is soaking in.

When I started out I was doing 10 minutes, although I was actually counting the songs on the radio. At times they would have the commercial break so it got hard to estimate. So I started using a watch and eventually I stretched out to 20 minutes.

I know some people leave conditioners in overnight. But I don't think you need to do that.

So I'd say stick with 20 minutes or less. If it's longer, no big deal. Just know that it's probably not doing anything after that.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 11:52am
And I do this with my normal, every day conditionar?

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 3:00pm
Depends on your routine.. sounds like you're doing the CWC, right? I've tried most routines (WC, WCC, CWC, and recently switched to Conditioner Only).

Sometimes it's simply practical to keep the final conditioner in the hair for a long time...while you attend to other showerly duties, then rinse everything out at the very end. I C/O, and I don't let the conditioner "sit" very long. It doesn't make a difference if I do, but maybe your hair type will like it. As PB said, the trick is to keep track and take lots of notes. Start a hair blog if you need to.

(What I do see a time difference is in the ACV rinse: dunking/soaking vs. rinsing. The vinegar dunk/soak leaves hair softer and more clarified than just the rinse)

Conditioner doesn't actually penetrate the hair shaft, so I don't see how letting it "sit" will help any. Just my 2 cents.

Anais

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 3:32pm
I agree that it doesn't penetrate unless it's made for it. Not sure if regular ones are?

But that's why I use the bag / cap. Heat opens the cuticle so by using the bag I'm keeping my body heat from escaping. I don't know if this actually is hot enough to open the cuticles but it's what I do.

What I do know is that when I take that bag off after 20 minutes my hair feels like it absorbed the conditioner. In other words my hair is not as slimey with conditioner as it was before I put the bag on.

Again, try things yourself and see what you like. There is no one way to do things with hair.

If you want to wash your hair with Grape Jelly by all means do it. Keep in mind that someone else might have already tried it but maybe their jar said Jam? So you might not get their results.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:08pm
Thanks anais and purplebubba.
I think I'm getting a better idea of what my hair specifically needs.
But purplebubba, you often mention cold rinses for the hair cuticle and opening the hair cutical with heat but I don't understand what the cuticle has to do with anything??

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:20pm
If you click on my siggy page, and go to the Cleansing Methods page in Medusa's Lair, there are photos of the cuticle scales. They're like shingles on your roof. Cold rinses or acidic rinses will make the scales close up.

When they're open, they are like burrs... catching on each other, on clothing, etc... and definitely increasing tangling. The more open the scales are on an everyday basis, the more likely the scales are to break off... which exposes the inner shaft. It's the biggest reason we always finish with an acidic or cold rinse after a hairwash. It "sets" the hair cuticle like the Batmobile security system.

HTH
Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:45pm
And also go to my articles link below and read each article I have called General Information

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 4:18pm
I go 5-7 days between washes and endeavor to use the diluted vinegar rinse every time (I don't always remember to prep the rinse, but my hair always seems to like the effect -- in other words, the diluted vinegar rinse cannot be overused). In addition to the cool/cold water rinse, I think the acidic base of the diluted vinegar rinse helps to close the cuticles, making the hair softer, shinier and easier to comb & detangle. Plus, the diluted-vinegar has the added benefit of helping to retard the growth of bacteria that attacks the sebum.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window