Print Page | Close Window

Dry hair...should I cone?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1218
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 10:37am

Topic: Dry hair...should I cone?
Posted By: GoldieLocks92
Subject: Dry hair...should I cone?
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 11:56am
My hair seems kind of dry although I haven't been exposing it to heat or anything. Is this normal? and should I try pantene or will that just make it worse?

-------------
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Replies:
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 12:28pm
...Another question.
I was just looking at the HairBoutique.com shop and I saw a hair growth vitamin called MSM Powder in tablet form.
Is this a good formula to try? Heres a link:
http://www.mp.hairboutique.com/product.asp?prodID=101296&ctgID= - http://www.mp.hairboutique.com/product.asp?prodID=101296&ctgID=

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 2:26pm
Probably not.
I wouldn't use Pantene if I were you.

Cones are more likely to do damage to dry hair, whereas they are more likely to benefit hair that naturally has a good amount of moisture... mainly because cones act as a seal on the hair shaft. If the hair is already healthy to begin with, cones can help keep the moisture in.

As for MSM, it works really well for most people-- many people see a 50-100% increase in growth (i.e. instead of 1/2 inch per month, maybe 3/4 inch or 1 inch per month)

HTH :)
Anais

Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 4:51pm
I would say try something other than cones for awhile and see if it works for you. You can always go back to cones.

As for MSM, I've only been taking it for 2 days so I can't say yes or no.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 5:08pm
Thanks anais.

Bubba, is your MSM in tablet form of powder?

-------------

Posted By: Alyssa_
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 5:35pm
Does anyone know what is the potency of those MSM pills? I'm not too hot on buying a supplement with so little information given.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 5:53pm
I'm taking the following

Sundown brand
Biotin - 1000 mcg tablets (like aspirin)

Sundown brand
MSM - 500 mg capsules (the kind that look like plastic and it looks like white powder inside)

Vitamin Shoppe brand
Silica aka Horsetail - 500 mg - tablets (the herbal looking kind. Looks like they took plants and mashed them into a pill)

Natrol brand
Skin Hair Nails - (Capsules like the MSM)
This pill contains each of the above plus other stuff.

As of right now my regimen is

1 - Biotin pill of 1000 mcg
1 - MSM pill of 500 mg
1 - Silica pill of 500 mg
2 - S.H.N pills which contains 500 mcg of Biotin, 250 mg of MSM, and Silica (amount not shown)

That's
Biotin - 1500 mcg (1.5 mg) per day
MSM - 750 mg per day
Silica - 500 mg + what's in the SHN per day.

That may or may not be too much to start out with. The thing with MSM and Silica is there is no Daily Value established yet. So no matter what you see others doing I recommend that you do not do more than I am doing until you see how your body reacts. It might take 2 or mor months before anything happens. Be careful.

If you are taking any other meds or pills or have any health problems you might want to ask a doctor first.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 6:16pm
Thanks so much Purplebubba :)

I just recently destroyed my hair so I'm going to shave it all off and swear off haircolor/bleach forever, lol... I definitely want to help the growth process along as much as possible!

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:00pm
Thanks bubba, I think I might try the MSM pills. Did it say anything about how long untill you see results? I completely forgot about that.

-------------

Posted By: AnaisSatin
Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:26pm
Allyssa_

I just wanted to say hi :) and I recognize you from an email.

Hugs,
Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:48pm
Hi Anais!

Hugs to you too!

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:49pm
The only thing I can say about any of those is that they are "supposedly" good for the hair. Everyone that I've seen talking to other people about pills usually says don't expect results with anything for at least 2 months. Just keep in mind that you may not see results.

I would advise not taking too much MSM at once because some people have had problems when they took too much.

This bottle says to take 1 pill - 4 to 6 times per day. I'm not gonna take that much. I'm taking 1.5 per day. That's 1 MSM pill + what's in the SHN pills.

I'm trying to play it safe.
You have to be careful with these things.

Also make sure you take these pills with a meal. They all say with a meal.

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2005 at 12:45pm
Thanks bubba, I'm going to shop around a little more for other supplements. I think all I might need is a multi-vitamin or something.
Also, I was just on another sites board and they said that as long as your conditionar is silicone and plastic free, its ok to apply to the scalp...I'm a bit skeptical...What do you guys think??

-------------

Date Posted: January 31 2005 at 1:40pm
I think that's just one opinion.

Remember there is no one size fits all. Even if that statement is true for 2 million people it might not be that way for you and your scalp.

I personally rarely use cones, but I'm not opposed to them. I will use some this year.

Remember, as long as you clarify at least once a month you should be ok unless you need more or less.

It's up to you whether or not you want to use something in a certain spot. As long as you're going slow you should be ok.
I think you've got a handle on the situation. You don't sound like you're trying to rush into things. You'll be fine.

If you like a product, whether cone or not, don't get talked out of it.

Date Posted: February 01 2005 at 5:04pm
Thanks again bubba!
I don't think I'm going to cone for a while because my hair seems fine without it, although it can be tougher to comb out!
I measured my hair last night, 13inches from root to tip...I need about 13 more inches untill my hair is waist length. I've already noticed a difference in the health of my hair though since I used the boards and I think its going to play a big role in how fast my hair grows.

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 4:40pm
Hi Alyssa, sorry to hear about your bleaching disaster. Best of good luck with the re-growth of healthy hair!

Hi Goldielocks, you say your hair seems dry. You might want to wash with a clarifying shampoo (in case there is a buildup of drying -cones) and then follow-up with your favorite conditioner (cool/cold water rinse, followed by diluted vinegar rinse). Your hair will be fab after it dries.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window