Print Page | Close Window

growing my hair out

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1231
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 10:38am

Topic: growing my hair out
Posted By: Elesha
Subject: growing my hair out
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 11:47pm
I have had my hair VERY short for almost 4 years and almost a year I decided to grow it out. My hair was at my waist, I got a perm and it literally broke off up to my chin, so I had kept it short. Since it has been so long since I had hair passed my chin I almost had to learn even how to wash it all over again! What are some things I can do to ensure that it will be healthy with no split ends? What are some good products to use that are not salon expensive? I want my hair to be healthy, but I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on it every month. My hair is in between thick and thin but I have alot of it. It is medium brown. (is brilliant brunette any good?)

Replies:
Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: February 09 2005 at 7:07am
The best things to do to grow it long and avoid getting it damaged are:
-Don't brush it when it's wet.
-Don't use relaxers, perms or hair coloring (though some do get away with a little coloring).
-Don't use heat on it, hair dryers, hot rollers, curling irons.
-Get a wide toothed comb with no seams on it (you can get one for about 5 bucks at tenderheaded.com) and use that to detangle, starting from the bottom and working your way up to remove knots gently.
--Avoid brushes, combs or hair accessories with seams or jagged parts that tear hair.
-Once it gets longer, wear it up a lot to avoid knots that cause damage to hair.
-Get trims on occasion to remove splits, but be aware that salons tend to take off much more than you need, so if you have your trims done at a salon, be specific with them exactly how much you want or don't want taken off. (Many of us trim our own hair).
-People who grow very long hair also do something called "dusting", or going through the hair cutting off only the hairs that are split, right above the split.
-Pay attention to everything you do to your hair, and what's in your hair care products.

As for products, everyone I've ever talked to likes different products for long hair. I prefer things without many chemicals in them, so I like Avalon shampoo and conditioner (You can get it at a GNC store for about 7 bucks a bottle, or online). They don't have sulfates or silicones in them, which can damage hair.

However, I find the conditioner a little light, and find it doesn't quite meet my detangling needs, so I use it (because it has good jojoba oil in it), then rinse it out, then put pantene conditioner on the last inch of my hair for a minute. My reason for this is that pantene is full of silicones (anything in the ingredients ending in "cone") and these make your hair very detangled, but they can build up over time causing breakage and splits. The two ways to avoid that are only putting it on the last inch, so the buildup area gets cut off when you get trims, or to use a clarifying shampoo (I use the Lemon verbena clarifying shampoo from avalon once every 2 weeks).

This is just what I do, you'll find everyone else does something different, and has their own favorite products. Everyone's hair is different, so you may find the routines of others work better for you.

Please just ask if I am unclear on anything, or you need more info.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Elesha
Date Posted: February 09 2005 at 7:22pm
I had no idea there was so much to watch for to ensure healthy hair! Thank you very much, all of the info will help me.

Posted By: GoldieLocks92
Date Posted: February 10 2005 at 6:03pm
Susan made some great points and that is most of the stuff I do.
Also, when your hair gets longer, put it up when you go to bed to avoid tangles and so your hair wont snag unless you have a satin pillow case (but this is so much easier and wont cost you anything!)
Stay away from cones and laurel/laureth sulfates (I heard they put those in dishwashing detergants!).
If you have been using cones. I recomend an apple vinegar/water rinse. (a TINY TINY bit of apple vinegar and a LOT of water in a water bottle applied to the scalp. You may be sensitive to this so be careful. Use about once a month or less).
Try a Condition/Wash/Condition routine and see how it works for you. On me it worked great and reduced tangles but you have to experiment to see what it good for you.
Sally Beauty Supplies has some pretty good prices combs and brushes as Susan mentioned. I had a field day in there with all of the tools they have.
Good Luck!

-------------
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 13 2005 at 6:15pm
Hi Elesha,

Sorry to hear your hair got mega-damaged by the perm. Susan and GoldieLocks have offered some very practical advice. I'm sure you will once again have gorgeous waist-length hair.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window