Print Page | Close Window

Hard water

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1242
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 10:30am

Topic: Hard water
Posted By: Amazing Grace
Subject: Hard water
Date Posted: February 19 2005 at 7:32pm
Hi All,

First an introduction - I've always liked long hair, but only in the past few months have I been really committed to growing mine long. Currently, it's just below my shoulders with layers and an old perm growing out. It's kind of interesting looking...

My question relates to the water in my area. We have "hard water" with lots of minerals. I've noticed when I visit friends in other areas that my hair is much softer and more managable after two shampoos because of the difference in water. Does any one have suggestions about what I can do to have healthy co-operative hair without moving twenty miles away?

Thanks,
Grace

Replies:
Posted By: GoldieLocks92
Date Posted: February 19 2005 at 8:52pm
I have that problem too so I'll be interested in some of the other answers, but because of that, my responce is going to be a little different.
I'd say just make sure you're doing everything else right. Some shampoos actually help remove moneral deposites which might help. Remember, regular trims, healthy diet, no cones or laurel/laureths in your shampoos, and keep tangles to a minimum.

-------------
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: February 20 2005 at 10:46am
how do you know if you have hard water?

-------------

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: February 20 2005 at 12:19pm
Hello "Amazing Grace," and welcome to the Long Hair support board!

Yes, I do have a suggestion on how to combat the hard water problem. Purchase gallon plastic jugs of distilled or purified water. Into a clean and empty jug, I pour about 1/4 of a gallon of the distilled/purified water, and about 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Swish around a bit, and keep it nearby to where you are washing your hair. When you have finished washing & conditioning, and have rinsed out the conditioner (and squeezed out the excess water), carefully and slowly pour the vinegar-laced water onto your head, until your hair is soaked with it. Let it sit for 30 seconds, then squeeze out the excess water. Your hair may smell slightly of vinegar until it dries, but after it dries, your hair will be cleaner and softer.

The water where I used to live was fairly hard. Now, the water is only somewhat hard, but I still use this trick. Another plus is that it seems to keep my hair & scalp cleaner for longer.

Renee, your water is soft if you use just a little bit of soap on your hands, and you rinse and rinse and rinse and it still feels slippery. It typically requires an in-home water softener to get this effect. The upside (aside from having softer hair) is that you can cut way back on the amount of soap, shampoo and detergents that you use in your home.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window