Print Page | Close Window

whats your thoughts on pantene

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1269
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 8:32am

Topic: whats your thoughts on pantene
Posted By: laststar
Subject: whats your thoughts on pantene
Date Posted: March 12 2005 at 6:56pm
I am looking for a good alternate shampoo. Someone said its good to alternate shampoos every now and then. What do you think about pantene and the conditioner?

Thanks TLSF

-------------
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist

Replies:
Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: March 12 2005 at 7:33pm
I like the conditioner, but I haven't used the shampoo. It's a silicone based conditioner, which means it can build up on your hair and make it crunchy if you don't clarify, which I do by rinsing with a vinegar solution. The shampoo is designed to remove buildup, but it does this by being so harsh that it makes your hair porous, causing the silicones to stick more and more tightly. Eventually the hair gets visibly damaged.

The conditioner is good for detangling and shine, but it isn't really a moisturizing conditioner. I like Suave Humectant or Hollywood Beauty Carrot Cholesterol for moisturizing, then I use Pantene. After the hair starts to dry I use jojoba, too.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: leia1979
Date Posted: March 12 2005 at 8:25pm
I read this book about hair products (called "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me"), and it said the belief that one should change shampoos comes from the fact that many shampoos have emollients in them that the shampoo is designed NOT to remove. Over time, these emollients build up in your hair, which makes you think you need to change shampoo. You can either change shampoos, use a clarifying shampoo every once in awhile to get rid of the buildup, or use one that doesn't leave much behind to build up in the first place.

The author recommended Tresemme's daily clarifying shampoo. I haven't used it myself, but I'm going to try it when I run out of Matrix Amplify (which cleans well, but is a little too harsh).

As to Pantene, it has a lot of silicone in it which can build up on your hair over time. If you go with it, alternate with something else to remove the build up. Plus they're owned by the evil Proctor & Gamble empire, but that's an ethical, not a hair-related, choice.

-------------

Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: March 13 2005 at 10:31am
I had a buildup from pantene. Virtually destroyed my hair. But that was when i didnt know about clarifying.

-------------

Posted By: rosebud
Date Posted: March 13 2005 at 10:15pm
I hate it its H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E its Ph is so bad its very basic. Dries my hair so bad. I dont know how its on shelves its so horrible for me. Some people like it though

-------------

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:03am
I do like it, but since it's so chock full'O cones I try to only use it on the last inch of my hair (after I've used a lighter jojoba conditioner on all my hair and rinsed it out already).  It does help with detangling that last inch, and that way, any damage that doesn't get removed by clarifying will get removed eventually in normal trims anyway.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Print Page | Close Window