Print Page | Close Window

Long Hair Over 40

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: The HairTalk® Archives
Forum Name: Hair Talk Archive
Forum Description: All the old Hair Talk Messages...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13049
Printed Date: April 20 2024 at 10:35am

Topic: Long Hair Over 40
Posted By: Mary
Subject: Long Hair Over 40
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:31am
I was reading with intrest in a previous post that many people feel that fine hair should be kept short.My hair is also fine, but my beautician has siad that I have alot of it. I remember when I was young I had long hair down to my waist, and eventually had it cut off into a pixie cut. I have always missed having long hair, and through the years I was always told that fine hair should be kept short in order to give it more body and appear thicker so I have kept it shorter cut in layer. I have never felt comfortable with my hair sty;le. I am more of a non-fuss person, and I think I would really be so much happier if I just left my hair grow as long as it wants to and keep the style simple, but now I am thinking....and am being told.... that becuase of my age ( 41 ) that I should keep my hair shorter and styled...long hair is for young girls...From finding this site and reading messages I think I am getting the courage to grow my hair and not worry about what is thought of me.... a lady my age trying to wear long hair...I sure could use advise and encouragment in addition to tips on how to care for my hair while it is growing and once I get it long. Thanks to everyone !!! Mary

Replies:
Posted By: Dawn
> Welcome Mary! I am one of the people who firmly believes that fine or thin hair is actually much better looking when long. When short it can tend to be flyaway and hard to deal with, but long it looks and feels fantastic, lots more volume and very soft. Don't listen to those people who tell you to cut your hair. The older you get, the more unique long hair is because everyone falls for that prejudice that only the young are allowed to enjoy long hair. I can sympathize totally, I'm 39 and my hair is to my knees. Frankly I think it makes me look a good ten years younger. If I could just lose my extra weight you couldn't tell the difference between me now and when I was 25! I'm sure Cheryl will be here too to encourage you about women over 40 with long hair. You go for it! And by the way, go read Karen's incredible tips and articles section, you'll find a world of good ideas about caring for your hair while it's growing and when it does get long. Best of luck! Dawn Dawn

-------------

Posted By: Noreen
Hi Mary,Don't let other people try to tell you that long hair is only for "young" girls. I am 43 and have knee length hair. I am lucky, I guess, that no one ever tells me to cut my hair because of my age. Maybe that is because they don't realize just how old I am (thank you, long hair). My hair makes me look and feel younger. Whenever I am asked if I will ever cut my hair I always respond with "Never willingly!!!". My hair is still growing, and with luck, it may reach my ankles before I am too old to enjoy it. Maybe someday I will be known as that crazy old lady with the long hair (you know what I mean, the town "character") but I don't mind. I, at least, will be able to say that I was able to do something for myself that I not only enjoyed but could take great pride in. So if you want long hair, then keep growing it. Good luck, and keep us all posted. We "older" girls have to stick together:-)

-------------