Print Page | Close Window

Lead Poisoning in Hair Dye

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: The HairTalk® Archives
Forum Name: Hair Talk Archive
Forum Description: All the old Hair Talk Messages...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13852
Printed Date: September 28 2024 at 7:20pm

Topic: Lead Poisoning in Hair Dye
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Lead Poisoning in Hair Dye
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:32am
I saw an advertisment through the Life Extension company for a haircolor product that is not a dye. They say the product replaces themelanin in the hair shaft. They sent me a list of ingredients and thedirections, which includes applying the product daily for 3 weeks to dryhair, and then 2-3 times a week thereafter to keep the color. One ofthe ingredients listed is pb acetate, which is a lead ingredient. Doyou know about this, or using any other similar product like "Just forMen" on my hair? I have had permanent highlights added to my long,chestnut/brown hair, and have some grey. Will such a product work ontreated hair, or could it be dangerous because of the lead ingredient?Thank you to anyone who knows about this. Attached is a copy of the ingredient list they sent me:"The active ingredients in PG-168 are: (Glycerine, Lanolin, Sulfur,Cheteareth 20, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Vitamin E, pb Acetate, DIwater, and Allantoin)The formula works only as a result of the exact balance of ALL theseingredients. They do not ‘create hair color’ they simply fill a hollowhair shaft with a pigment like substitute.Additional information on this may be found on the web athttp://www.lifex.com/appear.htmlPG-168 is hypoallergenic. In Double blind tests there has yet to beuncovered any ill side effects or allergic reactions. It will not harmhair. It is used as a conditioner to make hair thicker. It does noteffect the color of your hair, if indeed your hair does have color. Ifyour hair is dyed or if it still has its natural color, applying PG-168will not change this color. However, on hair that has no color (itappears gray or while but in fact is an empty shaft without melanin) itwill slowly replace the melanin until your natural color is restored."

Replies: