Print Page | Close Window

Stuck in the '70's??

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: The HairTalk® Archives
Forum Name: Hair Talk Archive
Forum Description: All the old Hair Talk Messages...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13862
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 8:23am

Topic: Stuck in the '70's??
Posted By: Dick
Subject: Stuck in the '70's??
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
I'd like to get some opinions on something I'm considering: I'm a guy in my 40's with sandy blond hair mixed with gray. I'm very lucky that all my hair has remained on my head for all these years. Still thick and straight with good texture,etc. I have kept it longish on top (about 2-3 inches) and above my ears on the sides for the last 10 years or so.I don't use gel or mousse, but shampoo every day and sometimes use conditioner in the winter. I have a great barber/stylist, so if a suggestion sounds good, he could probably do it.I'm thinking I may want to grow it longer, over the ears and /or longer in back.... but, will this make me look like I'm stuck in the '70's??? I see bald and buzz cut young men everywhere these days - well, forget that - not my look! So the only alternative is to grow it longer if I want something different.What about longer on top (4-5 inches) and above the ears on the sides? I see this style frequently, but it appears to be losing out to the shaved head look!I'm 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, athletic build. At the risk of sounding immodest, I'm in pretty good shape and look younger than my age. I think I could wear longer hair, but don't want to look out of date. A ponytail would be a bit too much since I work in bank. Any opinions?? Is over-the-ears hair still out of style for men??

Replies:
Posted By: jj
Hi Dick,I'm a 58 year old graying male, short,overweight grandpa. My opinion is don't let others determine what you like, be your own man. If you like long hair (what ever length), just remember the codition and neatness is what determines if it looks good.If you care about you, you will care about your hair and no one will care if it is short or long.Long hair is fun Iv'e had it really long and really short I'm in the process of going pony tail long.Good Luck!!JJ

-------------

> Hi Dick,> I'm a 58 year old graying male, short,overweight> grandpa. My opinion is don't let others determine what> you like, be your own man. If you like long hair (what> ever length), just remember the codition and neatness> is what determines if it looks good.> If you care about you, you will care about your hair> and no one will care if it is short or long.> Long hair is fun Iv'e had it really long and really> short I'm in the process of going pony tail long.> Good Luck!!> JJThanks, JJ. I hear what you're saying, but I just want to get a feel for what's happening out there besides shaved heads! My kids would tease me no end if I grew a ponytail. They think I'm pretty conservative. Truth told, I just don't have the guts to do it! Thanks for your encouragement!Dick

-------------

Posted By: Dave
Hi Dick,One the one hand, you say want to grow your hair longer so it is more to yourliking. On the other hand, you say you want to avoid displeasing others (or atleast avoid potentially unfavorable comments, from your kids and/or colleagues),and you say you want to avoid looking like you're "stuck in the 70's."You are primarily responsible for ensuring your own happiness -- not others.You have to decide which is more important to you. Pleasing yourselfor trying to avoid displeasing others. In general, trying to avoid displeasingothers may be far more difficult to do, since you might find yourself constantlysecond-guessing your choices. You can't please all people all of the time.Regarding whether or not you feel you have the guts to grow your hair long......if you just do it, then you will know the answer -- that you did have the guts.I discovered that my decision to grow my own long hair was a very empowering one.I hope this helps,Dave

-------------
David M Squires

> Hi Dick,> One the one hand, you say want to grow your hair> longer so it is more to your> liking. On the other hand, you say you want to avoid> displeasing others (or at> least avoid potentially unfavorable comments, from> your kids and/or colleagues),> and you say you want to avoid looking like you're> "stuck in the 70's."> You are primarily responsible for ensuring your own> happiness -- not others.> You have to decide which is more important to you.> Pleasing yourself> or trying to avoid displeasing others. In general,> trying to avoid displeasing> others may be far more difficult to do, since you> might find yourself constantly> second-guessing your choices. You can't please all> people all of the time.> Regarding whether or not you feel you have the guts to> grow your hair long......> if you just do it, then you will know the answer --> that you did have the guts.> I discovered that my decision to grow my own long hair> was a very empowering one.> I hope this helps,> DaveThanks, Dave! Boy, I didn't think this would get to be a potential Oprah Winfrey show on "true hairstyle confessions"!! (LOL) But actually, it's why this board and site are so active, since hair is such a personal expression. I'd have to be honest and say I've always worn my hair to "fit in" - mostly because of peer group influence and the greater importance hairstyles played during the past decades. Except for military service, my "look" has been a littany of styles that were "in" for the times. Crew cuts, flat tops with and without duck tails, razor cuts, shags, and so on. Everything from "greasy kid stuff" to the dry look to today's conservative styles!And I'm the one who admires ladies who wear their hair long regardless of current fads! I'll take a dose of my own medicine and give this some more thought.......

-------------