Print Page | Close Window

coconut oil

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: The HairTalk® Archives
Forum Name: Hair Talk Archive
Forum Description: All the old Hair Talk Messages...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14852
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 2:34am

Topic: coconut oil
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: coconut oil
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
Hi, I've been hearing good things about using coconut oil on the hair. How does this work? Does it make the hair greasy like jojoba oil does? Do you use it lightly as a leave-in, or do you wash it out? How is it, compared to jojoba oil? Thanks, PD.

Replies:
Posted By: anita
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
> Hi, I've been hearing good things about using coconut> oil on the hair. How does this work? Does it make the> hair greasy like jojoba oil does? Do you use it> lightly as a leave-in, or do you wash it out? How is> it, compared to jojoba oil? Thanks, PD.I can't tell you what specifically coconut oil does for your hair except making it softer, shinier, and smelling good. However, I have heard the oils that contain Amla or Brahmi can maintain the color of black/dark hair. If you found jojoba to be too oily on your hair, coconut oil will be more so. Coconut oil is a "heavier" type of oil. The trick to any oil is to experiment w/ various amounts to find what's the right balance for you...ie will not be greasy on your head. Maybe w/ any oil, you shouldn't put any on your scalp but only on the dry areas of your hair.A note about coconut oil, look for it in Indo/Pakistani grocery stores. It can be nicely perfumed (Jasmine or Amla) and cheap. Also search "monoi" on the web. These are Tahitian coconut oils that come in a variety of scents and are extremely wonderful for the hair. I recommend the Tiki or Reva brands. Maybe you should try using the oil as a message to your scalp only before washing your hair and then put a small amount on the dry areas when you style your hair for the day.Anita

-------------
hi