Print Page | Close Window

Hair Shedding ?s for Jade and others

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: The HairTalk® Archives
Forum Name: Hair Talk Archive
Forum Description: All the old Hair Talk Messages...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15694
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 4:48pm

Topic: Hair Shedding ?s for Jade and others
Posted By: mel
Subject: Hair Shedding ?s for Jade and others
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:01am
Hi,I was wondering if Jade or anyone else could offer any advise on my situation. I had a relaxer put in my hair a month ago. I hadn't had my hair relaxed in almost two years because I braid my hair (yep, I do it myself). I take my hair out every three months or so and let it breath for a week or two. In a moment of desperation I called my stylist and set up an appointment for a perm. We had talked about applying a relaxer on my hair to soften it and loosen the curl (I didn't want to go straight, I just wanted a texturizer). I had been going to her for about four years and when I used to get my hair relaxed she used Affirm (at my request). When I went in to see her she didn't use Affirm and I didn't notice what she was using until after she had applied it to my hair. (The relaxer was applied, but not smoothed out and combed so my hair did not get straightened) Well, needless to say the stuff she used was very harsh on my hair. Instead of my hair feeling like silk (which it usually did with the Affirm) it felt like straw. I noticed my hair shedding shortly after that. I deep conditioned my hair and used hot oil treatments 2-3x in the next week then I rebraided my hair (I am a very loose braider). I try to keep my braids moisturized by using hot oil and leave in conditioners daily, but everytime I refresh a braid (redo it) I get tons of hair in my comb from each 3/4" section. I have very thick, course hair so its not like I'm balding... yet.I started taking 2500 to 5000 mcg of Biotin, B100 Complex, and Oceanic Silica after reading Jade's advise to others (that was about a month ago) and I've also been taking the Hair Formula 37 (3-6 pills a day of the Step 2) for the last month. Is there anything else anyone can advise to try to combat the hair shedding. The shedding is pretty bad. I know its normal to shed after taking out braids and after getting a relaxer on your hair, but it has never even come close to this.Thanks,--Mel

Replies:
Posted By: Melanie
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
to stop the shedding. By the way, Hello.I have also used affirm for years because everything else was too strong and either broke my hair off or burned my scalp. Several topical treatments may work for you.1. Use Panthenol. I found some at Mother's Market (I live in Southern California). It is in a small jar (labeled D-Panthenol). It is sold by Now Foods and it was $5.95. You mix half of the jar in a 16 ounce bottle of conditioner. Panthenol temporarily seals split ends. (Others may have more information on panthenol and it's benefits). Mind you, this is a temporary solution.2. Try Artec's Moisture Pak. It is about $10 for a four ounce bottle. This stuff is wonderful. Also Aubrey Organics GPB may help. I've never used the GPB but, according to Jade21 it was tested on black women with relaxed hair. The Artec is great for moisture and detangling.I hate to say it but, your hair may be damaged to the point where it cannot be saved. Remember, I'm no expert but, I've been where you are. I am a long time affirm user and I know how my hair reacts when the Normal strength affirm is used instead of the dry hair and sensitive scalp formula. I have also had stylists lie to me and tell me that they were using affirm when, they used other perms (my hair fell out). For me, the above combination helped lessen the lost hair. The panthenol is especially helpful. Feel free to e-mail me with any other questions.I really hope that this works for you,Melanie> Hi,> I was wondering if Jade or anyone else could offer any> advise on my situation. I had a relaxer put in my hair> a month ago. I hadn't had my hair relaxed in almost> two years because I braid my hair (yep, I do it> myself). I take my hair out every three months or so> and let it breath for a week or two. In a moment of> desperation I called my stylist and set up an> appointment for a perm. We had talked about applying a> relaxer on my hair to soften it and loosen the curl (I> didn't want to go straight, I just wanted a> texturizer). I had been going to her for about four> years and when I used to get my hair relaxed she used> Affirm (at my request). When I went in to see her she> didn't use Affirm and I didn't notice what she was> using until after she had applied it to my hair. (The> relaxer was applied, but not smoothed out and combed> so my hair did not get straightened) Well, needless to> say the stuff she used was very harsh on my hair.> Instead of my hair feeling like silk (which it usually> did with the Affirm) it felt like straw. I noticed my> hair shedding shortly after that. I deep conditioned> my hair and used hot oil treatments 2-3x in the next> week then I rebraided my hair (I am a very loose> braider). I try to keep my braids moisturized by using> hot oil and leave in conditioners daily, but everytime> I refresh a braid (redo it) I get tons of hair in my> comb from each 3/4" section. I have very thick,> course hair so its not like I'm balding... yet.> I started taking 2500 to 5000 mcg of Biotin, B100> Complex, and Oceanic Silica after reading Jade's> advise to others (that was about a month ago) and I've> also been taking the Hair Formula 37 (3-6 pills a day> of the Step 2) for the last month. Is there anything> else anyone can advise to try to combat the hair> shedding. The shedding is pretty bad. I know its> normal to shed after taking out braids and after> getting a relaxer on your hair, but it has never even> come close to this.> Thanks,> --Mel

-------------