Print Page | Close Window

SHOULD I CUT IT SHORT?!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: The HairTalk® Archives
Forum Name: Hair Talk Archive
Forum Description: All the old Hair Talk Messages...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16521
Printed Date: May 10 2024 at 10:13am

Topic: SHOULD I CUT IT SHORT?!
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: SHOULD I CUT IT SHORT?!
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:10am
I am desparate for hairstyle advice. I'm in my 20s and Ihave an oval face, maybe a tad long, I'm not sure. My hairis blunt cut to my shoulders and it is thick, wavy and heavy. I don't look good with bangs straight across myforehead and it's too thick for a short blunt cut. I wanta manageable, low-maintenance 'do that will look good. I'venever had short hair before and think it would be fun to dosomething really different, but on the other hand, I'm scared too. I wouldn't even have the first clue on what kind of short hair to choose: pixie, bob (BTW does a bob always have to be buzzed in the back?), pageboy, etc, etc. I am also interested in medium length cuts but nothing past my shoulders. Should I go for any bangs, layers, closely cropped or just remain the same? I want to know more about what a bob actually entails; is it blunt (my hair's too thick) are there bangs involved? I'm going to get a haircut in a week or so and I'm afraid I'll chicken out and get the same ol' blunt cut. PLease HELP!

Replies:
Posted By: Laurie
You're lucky! With an oval face you would look great with any cut! As you may be able to tell from my previous posts, I like to change my style often.Here's an idea: why don't you get a chin-length bob, then proceed with gradual shorter cuts each time you visit the salon. That way, you're not shocked by a sudden change and you don't have too far to grow out if you should decide you liked it longer.Personally, I love my short hair! I think a young person should get a chin-length bob or an ultra "boy short" haircut (think Halle Berry or Winona Ryder). The lengths between those styles look less "cutting edge." I think young people carry-off the "cutting edge" styles best. The in-between styles can age a young person. My husband calls the lengths between bob and "boy short" styles "Mommy short." It's not a slam to mothers, it's just a reference to those semi-short (think Ms. Jayne on the Beverly hillbillies) hairdos worn by our mothers when we were growing up.I hope this helps your decide the fate of your 'do. Please report back on what you decide and how it comes out. You may E-mail me if you wish (lauriesk@hotmail.com).

-------------

Posted By: Laurie
You'll probably get a response from a guy named "Gord," who thinks that all women should have long hair. Of course, he's entitled to his opinion. (How boring would it be if all women had long hair and all men had short hair? Yuk!)Remember, change is the spice of life. Long hair made me wish for short hair. Short hair makes me look forward to growing it out. I would never have known how I felt (or how my husband felt) about different hair lengths on me until I tried them. I've had a blast with all my styles, from bra-length to boy short! My husband has enjoyed my changes, also.Whatever you decide . . . have fun with it. It's only hair.

-------------