Print Page | Close Window

Is silicone really bad for your hair??

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: The HairTalk® Archives
Forum Name: Hair Talk Archive
Forum Description: All the old Hair Talk Messages...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16648
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 8:07pm

Topic: Is silicone really bad for your hair??
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Is silicone really bad for your hair??
Date Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:21am
I was reading some of the past posts and read that silocone was bad for your hair. Is this true?? What does it do exaclty?? I have been using a conditioner that has a -cone in it and I would really appreciate for someone to let me know if this would damage my hair cause I am trying to grow it!Thanks for any information in advance!

Replies:
Posted By: Holly
Hi,I can tell you that although silicone is a derivitive of SILICA, a natural substance, it also is a kind of plastic.It builds up and from what I have read here is hard to remove even with clarifying shampoo. The build up doesn't allow natural oils and conditioners to penetrate. So although they feel like they are doing a great job of making your hair silky and look shiny, over time (or in some cases right away-I don't know how often that is, though)they can make the hair dry and/or brittle.Hope this helps you,Holly

-------------

Posted By: Jennifer
> I posted one of those previous questions about silicone. Since I found out the bad things that happen to your hair when you use it, I stopped using my previous favorite, Finesse Conditioner, which has silicone in it. Now I'm using no silicone products at all-and the results are amazing. My hair is thicker, fuller and seems to have more natural curl in it, which I think the silicone was plastering and weighing down. I don't think silicone is really harmful to the hair, but over time, it sure doesn't make it look its best.

-------------