Forum Name: Asian Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special hair needs of people of Asian descent
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18160
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 2:24am

Topic: Asian hair as a whole
Posted By: AnaisSatin
Subject: Asian hair as a whole
Date Posted: June 28 2004 at 4:51pm
A general trend exists among most of past topics. I hope to address some of them

"I am unhappy with the coarseness of my hair"
"My hair is too stiff to stay down"
"My hair strands are a strange shape (flat, wiry, kinky, etc)"
"I have too much frizz"
"It won't hold a curl"

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to change the actual structure or coarseness of your hair. But making hair manageable and making hair feel "right" is a billion dollar industry you can take advantage of.

I see that many of you are Asian guys not actively growing your hair out to any extreme length. Lucky you... your hair will replace itself entirely, in very short time, and will take lots of abuse before you can see any damage. With this in mind, those with short hair can pretty much relax, perm, blow, straighten, curl, etc.. all you want--given that you're comfortable with the heat and chemical you're putting on yourself.

I am an Asian female going for hip-length. By the time I reach my hair goal, my tresses will be 4-5 years old. It will have gone through about 600 washes, 150 or so vinegar rinses, roughly 1600 scalp-to-tip combings and an equal amount of boar bristle polishing. Ribbonlike strands are a big problem for me, but they're perfectly normal for most Asians . I have vowed never to use any heat or chemical on my hair besides shampoo, vinegar, and conditioner. I stay away from blow dryers, flat/curl/crimp irons, hot combs, warm/hot water, rubber bands, metal clips, thin elastics, plastic combs with seams.

Aaanyway, when you are maintaining short hair, lucky you, there are many many products and tools available for your experimentation. Making your hair behave takes a lot of product hunting. Somewhere out there is a perfect routine your hair will like and appreciate-- Go find it. We're here to help.

Your hair goddess,
Anais Satin

Replies:
Posted By: Rzwen
Date Posted: June 28 2004 at 5:37pm
That's nice.

You didn't help much...

I don't understand the complaints about asian hair. Seems the same as any other type of hair. There are plenty of asians with beautiful, silky hair... so I doubt it's an endemic problem.

Date Posted: June 28 2004 at 6:51pm
It makes sense what you mean by some Asians having "beautiful silky hair", I'd say all of us! and I don''t understand other people''s complaints either. I love my Asian hair, it's just that others don't. and I am only responding to others' issues. Perhaps we can at least agree there?

I think you''re unhappy with my post because I didn''t give a one-sentence one-size-fits-all solution. There is no "cure" for what Asians don't like about their hair (mainly because it's NOT a disease) and there is no one answer to any person's hair issues. Or if there is, it involves a lot of time, effort, heat, and chemical (along with the entailing consequences). Every Asian woman/man I know has a different routine. Every person regardless of ethnicity, for that matter. And how did they find it? They did a heck of a lot of experimentation.

I think I''d better understand your comments if you gave me a little context and described your hair: length, thickness, coarseness, routine, straightness/waviness/curliness, manageability in general, gender, and whether or not you've reached Hair Nirvana.

I''ll help you if you help me.
Anais

Posted By: CrazyGirl
Date Posted: July 15 2004 at 5:26pm
I don't have silky hair, but I do love my hair. Specially now that it's longer.

What I like about it is that I have a choice to wear it really straight (help of products) or leave it wavy, with tons of body.

It's a lot of work, I have long, thick, medium coarse hair so drying takes a lot of time. My hair tends to get really frizzy if I just let it air dry but with a little anti-frizz serum... it comes out with a wave and if I decide to have it straightened, I can do that also.

I think I am blessed to have a mom with really thick, really coarse hair and a dad that has fine, thinning head... LoL.

-------------
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1016946 - http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1016946

Date Posted: August 07 2004 at 8:23pm
Hey CrazyGirl

I bet you have great sleek "second day hair"... That's how it is with me.

Anais

-------------
http://anaissatin.livejournal.com"> my LJ , 40 inches long

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: November 27 2004 at 10:45pm
What exactly is vinegar rinse?

Posted By: black&white
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 6:51am
1 & 4 descriptions fit my hair, coarse and does not hold a perm.   I have conquered my problem as follows:
I use a hair repair system - shampoo, conditioner, hair mask (brilliant product, just learned how to use it properly) and finally Argan oil and the combination has made my hair silky, stronger and whilst it has not made it less coarse it has definitely made it more manageable.   I do not bother with perming and use a curling iron every morning to put a curl in my hair that lasts the whole day!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window