Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19229
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 6:37am

Topic: colorfix damaging?
Posted By: amymusic
Subject: colorfix damaging?
Date Posted: January 14 2005 at 3:42pm
I was just curious, is colorfix as damaging as bleach?
Does it remove semi-permanent and demi-permanent color?

Replies:
Posted By: MoNiCaxOC
Date Posted: January 14 2005 at 4:17pm
Yes and yes. It turns your hair orange.

-------------
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"

Date Posted: January 14 2005 at 5:17pm
then what is the purpose of it? why don't people just use bleach?

-------------

Posted By: Alyssa_
Date Posted: January 14 2005 at 6:08pm
Colorfix doesn't have any bleach in it, and it is less damaging than most other color removers, and definitely easier on your hair than bleach. The funky color you get afterwards is from the peroxide lifting your own haircolor in whatever color you used, not from the colorfix itself.

-------------

Posted By: SummerM
Date Posted: January 15 2005 at 11:31am
Alyssa is right, Color Fix does not contain bleach and its not damaging. It removes processed color only( it doesn't remove natural color), but it does't take your hair back to your natural color- thats gone. You remove the processed color with CF and then you recolor.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2005 at 12:30pm
i had bleached blonde hair in pretty good condition and then I started coloring it with semi and demi permanent colors to get a deep dark brown color. I have done it about 5 times within the 6 months since it was blonde. would the colorfix take all the brown out so it is at least almost blonde again?
or does it always come out orange? would the colorfix totally fry my hair?

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2005 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by amymusic amymusic wrote:

i had bleached blonde hair in pretty good condition and then I started coloring it with semi and demi permanent colors to get a deep dark brown color. I have done it about 5 times within the 6 months since it was blonde. would the colorfix take all the brown out so it is at least almost blonde again?
or does it always come out orange? would the colorfix totally fry my hair?

Color Fix shouldn't damage your hair. I don't know if it will get the semi out, semi's are different than demi's. Get a box and do a strand test and see, the color should come out.

It may take you back to blonde or you might have some brass you have to retint over. The only way to know is a strand test.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 4:34pm
Pulling any color out of your hair is damaging!! You're stripping the hair!

-------------
It's hard to like it

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by MoNiCaxOC MoNiCaxOC wrote:

Pulling any color out of your hair is damaging!! You're stripping the hair!

Its not stripping natural color, just removing processed color. It reduces the processed color molecules so they can be rinsed out of the hair.

Other color remover- Clairol UnColor, Effesol contain bleach, they are damaging.

-------------

Posted By: baker46
Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:55pm
Don't mean to be unkind, but MoNiCaxOC doesn't have a clue! There are several posts in this forum regarding CF, it's properties, and end results. Obviously, she has never read them or tried CF. I can personally tell you, Amymusic, that my hair was a bleached mess (from a salon!) about 3 months ago. I didn't know how to fix it, but I found this web and started reading ALL the advice posted here. A couple of the posts are from beauticians and they were very helpful and knowledgeable. I got some CF and, yes, it does turn your hair either orange or yellow, but it DID NOT damage my hair! I have fine hair and it would have broken off with all the bleach from the salon and the CF, but it didn't. I was able to get the horrible black out of my hair (from the salon trying to "cover" the bleached out hair!) and re-color to my "normal" golden brown. Color Fix is NOT a bleach. It lifts oxidative dyes. It is mainly for removing permanent hair color. Follow the directions on the box and you will be very pleased with the results. I was!

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2005 at 9:31am
Yes actually I have used ColorFix many times and even my hairdresser told me that it 'strips' your hair. My sister-in-law color-fixed her black hair and not only did it turn orange but she said she started getting a lot of split ends and that her hair was all dry from it. So that led me to belive it is in fact damaging.

-------------
It's hard to like it

Date Posted: January 27 2005 at 9:47am
Originally posted by MoNiCaxOC MoNiCaxOC wrote:

Yes actually I have used ColorFix many times and even my hairdresser told me that it 'strips' your hair. My sister-in-law color-fixed her black hair and not only did it turn orange but she said she started getting a lot of split ends and that her hair was all dry from it. So that led me to belive it is in fact damaging.

Color Fix is a color remover so when using it it removes the processed color. Your hair goes red, orange, gold etc because the processed color is removed , you then have to put color back in.
CF doesn't put color in hair, its removes it hence brassy hair.

What condition was your sil's hair when she used CF. If she used the black on virgin hair and did root touch ups only and didn't pull the color through- no problem.

Most salons don't know about or use CF, they use Effesol or color removers that contain bleach, and yes those are very damaging.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2005 at 11:00pm
Thanks for your responses, however I am still unsure as to if it will work on me. I have colored it several times. Does that matter? And before I colored it, it was bleached platinum blonde. It was not virgin hair. Also the colors I used on it were demi and semi permanent. Not permanent. Aren't the oxidents different in those? Would the colorfix still work? And then would I be able to bleach it after?

Here is a picture of my hair now, to show you how dark it is. I want to get a blonde highlight.

Date Posted: January 27 2005 at 11:02pm
Thanks for your responses, however I am still unsure as to if it will work on me. I have colored it several times. Does that matter? And before I colored it, it was bleached platinum blonde. It was not virgin hair. Also the colors I used on it were demi and semi permanent. Not permanent. Aren't the oxidents different in those? Would the colorfix still work? And then would I be able to bleach it after?

Here is a picture of my hair now, to show you how dark it is. I want to get a blonde highlight.

Date Posted: January 28 2005 at 7:06am

The CF should still work but do a strand test first. Because it was already bleached and then demi's and semis were used, make sure it doesn't add any damage.

If your highlights come out well, I wouldn't do anything more to your hair, except highlight the roots when they come in.

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2005 at 7:08am

The CF should still work but do a strand test first. Because it was already bleached and then demi's and semis were used, make sure it doesn't add any damage.

If your highlights come out well, I wouldn't do anything more to your hair, except highlight the roots when they come in.

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2005 at 1:42pm
thanks. sorry for some reason my post went up a zillion times because my computer kept freezing. What comes with CF? Does it come in one solution or do I have to buy different formulas for it? Because I saw somewhere that it comes in like 3 bottles or something? Do they carry it at Sally's?

Also, I have virgin roots, will it hurt my roots if some of the CF were to touch that part of my hair?

-------------

Posted By: Kris408
Date Posted: January 29 2005 at 12:57am
your hair is hot. I wouldnt do it all by yourself.. your to pretty to have messed up hair.. color fix can be bought at sallys however i use one from goldwell that stuff works,,... and leaves the hair feelen better than u would think takes forever to do..

-------------
Kris

Posted By: ames
Date Posted: February 02 2005 at 5:09am
edited post- that was an unneccesary and non sensical comment- i was having a bad day.....my lovely new bob has disintegrated into a complete mess after washing; uneven and shapeless.....not good...apologies to you amymusic...

-------------
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....

Date Posted: February 02 2005 at 6:59pm
huh?

-------------

Posted By: ames
Date Posted: February 03 2005 at 7:34am
amymusic..what products and styling do you use to get your hairlooking like that?im about to have my hair sorted out and am clueless about what to do to change it from a lifeless mop....

-------------
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....

Date Posted: February 03 2005 at 4:35pm
ummm ok.......
I use bed head hair products

-------------

Posted By: sunrise
Date Posted: February 03 2005 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by ames ames wrote:

i was having a bad day.....my lovely new bob has disintegrated into a complete mess after washing; uneven and shapeless.....not good...

Ames! Really?! I was following your thread on whether or not to get a haircut! I was rooting for you and looking forward to a pic of your new 'do!!!

What hair magic do the stylists have that have us walking out looking and feeling like princesses, only to feel like frogs after the first shampoo?! I cut my hair from long to short the day BEFORE my wedding. Never advised, right? I thought I was ready for a change, and felt great about the decision as I walked out of the salon. My wedding morning was a different matter altogether, as I styled, re-washed, and re-styled it, all for naught! I *hate* how I look in my wedding pictures!!!!

Back on topic...right after the salon, I went over to a beauty supply store to ask them how to cover up my latest self dye job. I use Clairol Natural Instincts. Normally I go for a medium auburn, and my grey hairs show thru in lighter tones, giving me that highlighted look. For a summer wedding, I was aiming for more golden highlights. Too light for my greys!

The girl at the shop asked me if I dye more than the roots (yes, but only as directed...roots first, then rest of hair for 5 mins), and then really read me the shame and riot act for the black ends of my hair. Black?? I thought it was my natural dark brown coming thru, not buildup!!! She yelled that it doesn't matter if it's a semi-permanent color, it doesn't really wash out, it damages and builds up on the hair. Now the only thing I could do would be to either go to a salon and have them strip out all the black and re-color. Or, the quick fix, she sold me a bottle of mahoghany pigment shampoo.

So my questions are: If I do indeed have color buildup, is there a product out there that would remove the semi-permanent color black?? Is this something I should really leave to a professional? Is it true that semi-permanent color is just as damaging and permanent color?

Print Page | Close Window