Print Page | Close Window

shrinkies with bohyme hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19988
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 1:41am

Topic: shrinkies with bohyme hair
Posted By: Amanda8beech
Subject: shrinkies with bohyme hair
Date Posted: January 18 2005 at 10:42am
Just to let you guys know that I did my first client with shrinkies on Saturday. I bought bohyme from ebonyline.com in colour 613 and bought dark pink and dark brown from Kirsten. It took me four hours to do her full head and in total I put in 170 strands, I'd say 80% thickish and 20% thinner around the part line and front. My client was very very pleased with the result and couldn't stop commenting how comfortable they felt to wear and that she couldn't hardly feel they were in, compared to the fusion that she has had done before. I used a 12mm mens straightening iron whilst waiting for my dr locks tool to come and although at first they seemed to stick out only very slightly around the top of her head, by the time I had finished cutting they had settled down and you couldn't see them anymore. My client is washing her hair for the first time tonight so I'll keep you posted. I tried to download the pictures but my files were too big for this board, e-mail me if you want to see the pictures on Amanda8Beechwood2003@Yahoo.co.uk xxx

Replies:
Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: January 18 2005 at 11:23am
Congratulations! I'd love to see the pics; I just emailed you at yahoo. :)

-------------
http://www.beautyaddictmag.com - www.beautyaddictmag.com

Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 3:36am
Hi there Jenny, didn't realise it was you but I've just e-mailed them to you xxx

Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 4:58am
Got 'em! The hair looks gorgeous, and your client looks thrilled. It's so seamless. Great work! :)

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 5:18am
Thank you very much, yes she was thrilled, she couldn't believe how brill shrinkies were xxxx

-------------

Posted By: sherrie215
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 6:19am
Amanda, I emailed you. I'd love to see the pictures!

-------------
www.hairextensions101.com - www.hairextensions101.com
www.mybeautyaddiction.com - www.mybeautyaddiction.com

Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 6:52am
Amanda those pictures look fantastic! Great job girl!

Keep us posted how the shrinkies hold up!

-------------

Posted By: clairey
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 7:15am
hey amanda email sent:)

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 8:26am
Thanks Sherrie, she's definitely washing it tonight so she's going to ring me to give me an update so I'll post tomorrow xx

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 3:49am
Update guys, my client washed her hair for the first time since Saturday last night, she said it washed beautifully, no tangles and the shrinkies didn't move and she conditioned it to the roots. Also it dried really straight she says, all she had to do was run the straightening irons on her hair, the shrinkies never budged after using the hair dryer either success!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 6:47am
Update on the shrinkies with bohyme hair, my first bohyme/shrinkie client washed her hair for the second time Saturday and she said it washed fantastic and she didn't have to put the straighteners on it at all still, the streaks from Kirsten are still fanastic too. The shrinkies haven't budged either and are still perfect, she's had the hair and the shrinkies in nearly two weeks now xx

Did my second shrinkie/bohyme client on Saturday and used 22inch colour 16 bohyme hair, unfortunately there wasn't quite enough hair on the 22inch weft for a whole head so its a good job I had some spare blonde and she didn't mind having that in, I'll have to remember to order two wefts in future if they want 22inch, I have the pictures again if you'd like to see the 22inch on Saturday that I did xxxxxx

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 7:44am
That's a good point about the amounts, Amanda. I find I always need more than one weft for my hair, too! :)

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 6:41am
Hi there folks, just an update on the shrinkies and bohyme hair. My first bohyme client has still got her hair in and shrinkies after nearly four weeks, not one shrinkie has come out and the hair is still washing fabulous. Here is the link to another shrinkie/bohyme installation picture I did on Saturday xx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/Amanda8Beechwood2003/Michelle00000.jpg - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/Amanda8Beechwood2003/Michelle00000.jpg

Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 6:42am
Oh yeah, her hair was in a shortish bob graduated into her neck before. Hi there is you're looking at this Michelle xx

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 6:42am
Looks gorgeous, Amanda! Great job! :)

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 6:44am
Thanks Jenny, I've got to say its the best I've done yet, even thinking of having the colours in my hair LOL xx

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 7:11am
It's very seamless and a great color match. You really can't tell where her real hair ends and the extensions begin. :)

-------------

Posted By: EmmaSkye
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 1:56pm
OK OK OK IM SOLD, its shrinkies for me. Im still going with synth but if that dosnt work out Ill order bohyme from ebonyline.

Thanks Amanda for all the great info.

-------------
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.

Posted By: amm
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 2:00pm
LOL! Haven't I been telling you guys for months and months that the shrinkies are fabulous!?

This is a great looking installation.

Curious what the color combo is on the hair? Is that a dark underlayer or does the blonde automatically color change on the ends?

-------------
http://shrinkies.net - Extension Supplies & Virgin Brazilian Hair

Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 2:20pm
You're certainly right AMM, all the credit for my work goes to you as you're the one that put me onto the shrinkies. The colours in her hair are number 6 brown, four rows of it, then colour 24 blonde for three rows, then for the rest of her head, colours 24 blonde and 613 lightest blonde xxxx

Date Posted: February 16 2005 at 6:05am
Update on shrinkies with bohyme hair, its nearly five weeks now since my first shrinkie/bohyme client had her hair done and these are her reports. She says that the shrinkies have only just started getting a little bit softer, she's had six come out in the last two weeks so she feels she will be ready for maintenance at about 2 1/2 months to 3 months. she says the hair is still washing fantastic although she has noticed she has to brush it a little more than at the beginning although she admits that she goes out clubbing every weekend and uses a lot of styling products on it and also backcombs and curls it.

Here is this Saturdays's happy client.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-------------

Date Posted: February 16 2005 at 7:07am
Wow--that blending is perfect. You cannot tell at all where her real hair ends and the extensions begin. Great work!!! :)

-------------

Posted By: Bridget
Date Posted: February 16 2005 at 7:45am
Amanda, your extension job looks great! Just curious, but do you normally trim up the ends a bit at the end of the install?

-------------
It is what it is...

Date Posted: February 16 2005 at 8:14am
Thanks a lot Jenny.

Hi there Bridget, sometimes I trim up the ends but most of the time my clients are that happy to have long hair that they don't want even a tiny bit of hair cut off LOL. This client had 18inch blonde and 19inch brown underneath and she wouldn't let me cut even a tiny bit off LOL xx

Posted By: Syren123
Date Posted: February 16 2005 at 10:52am
Fantastic! Really really pretty.

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 5:44am
Yes another shrinkie/bohyme update. My first ever shrinkie client that I did with bohyme and a very small straightening iron has had them in for 6 weeks now, in the last week she has noticed that her shrinkies have become soft and she has lost 20. There is no damage, the bohyme is still washing fantastic and her hair has grown about an inch. The client that I did the week after with shrinkies and bohyme and Dr Locks heat clamp, so she's had hers in 5 weeks, all her shrinkies are still in tact, rock hard and haven't budged, she's had a total of 9 come out in the full 5 weeks, also her hair is still fantastic and she had the 22inch bohyme. I couldn't believe how silky and shiney her hair still was. So my verdict on this is that if you use shrinkies with a straightening iron, they will not last the full three months maintenance whereas if they are applied with the Doc's heat clamp they will xxxxx

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:44am
Amanda, that says volumes about your install (which also looks fabulous, by the way.) Congratulations on a job well done! Your client must be thrilled.

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 8:18am
Thanks a lot Amm, I feel priviledged and proud to get a compliment from the shrinkie queen, I feel enlightened as if it wasn't for you, I would have never stumbled upon these little wonderful things that no-one seems to be doing at all in the UK, I can't wait to have my roots done this weekend and get them in myself ready for my wedding, I'll post pics as soon as I've done them x

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:24am
Hi there, another shrinkie/bohyme update. My first ever shrinkie client has had her hair in 8 weeks now. She's having her first maintenance on 24th March so that will be 10 weeks. She says she's lost a few more but I did put these ones in with the straightening iron. She says the bohyme is still washing great and she absolutely loves her hair still. My next shrinkie client who has now had hers in for 7 weeks says her hair is still fantastic and she hasn't lost anymore shrinkies, so that's only 9 that she's lost in 7 weeks. My only concern with the shrinkies is that I've had another girl with greasyish hair that keeps on loosing them. She's had 18 come out in two weeks. I just keep on putting them back in for her but I'm going to try extentubes on her on Saturday on the strands that have come out, to see if she gets on better with these. My last few clients have reported that they've had between 6 and 10 come out but I don't think that's bad going to stay they've had 6oz of hair in but sometimes it makes me feel incompetent xxx this is another happy client xx

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:41am
Wow Amanda! That looks super! I love the blonde streaks too! You do such a good job! Thanks for the updates on the shrinkies too... sounds very promising.
Do you see yourself ever using synthetic?

-------------
It is what it is...

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:43am
Amanda, that is an awesome color combination!! Really unusual and pretty!

Just so you don't feel bad, I had shrinkies slide out of my hair at a rate of 2-3 a day when I put them in. At first I thought it was my faulty installation, which may have played a part, but even now with fusion, I find at the 2 week mark, I have strands of fusion hair disintigrating and falling out! I have hair kinda similar to your clients' hair - straight and slick like that, although I seem to have more of it. I think it's the slickness of the hair that causes the slipping - I mean, if fusion won't hold it in, what's next - crazy glue?!

So your clients losing 10 to 20 in nearly 2 months sounds completely reasonable, at least to me. And like someone said, this is more of an art than a science. I think losing strands and regular maintenance is to be expected, don't you? Sounds to me like you're doing a fantastic job, and your installs look great.

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 11:27am
Thanks syren, I feel a lot more confident now. I hate it when clients phone up and say some have come out. I get really paranoid and think oh my god what if they all come out. I suppose it goes with the job, you want people to be pleased with what you've done not upset at spending their hard earned money. I've really been taking my time with my clients as well. I hold the doc's heat clamp on the shrinkie for at least 15 seconds (I only used to hold it for 10) until I see the glue start to bubble but like Jenny says, I still don't hear the sizzle, I only really heard that with my straightening iron. Bridget, I'm starting to warm to the idea of synth, my friend also does extensions and she only uses synth, she's trained in the Dome method. She seems to get more funky clients than I do. xxxxx

-------------

Posted By: kirsty1888maclennan
Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 12:13pm
i saw that piic of the hair u did looks soo nice
do u stay in uk amanda? i need sum1 to do me shrinkies i stay in scotland but im having no luck.

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 12:50pm
Do you mean do I live in the UK, or would I travel to Scotland. Yes I live in the UK, I wouldn't go as far as Scotland though LOL, I would be happy for you to come to me though LOL xxxx

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:13pm
It looks great, Amanda! I love your work.

And I agree: 10 to 20 in nearly 2 months isn't a big deal. I lost 20 in about a week with one method (that shall remain nameless....).

As long as you inform the clients that some will probably slip eventually, I'm sure they won't be too alarmed. You can also add an additional 10 or so during the install, so that way, they feel like they have 10 more than are required to make up for any they might lose--sort of like insurance, if that makes any sense.

:)

-------------

Posted By: marie87
Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:43pm
So did you pre tip the hair your self and if so with what

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 4:25am
Thanks a lot Jenny. I always text people to find out how they are getting on with their hair and I hate it when they say some have come out. I've had a girl that's had 9 come out now in nearly two weeks, but she's washing her hair everyday which can't help, plus she's never had them in before but it still makes me feel bad. I don't like to say to make people feel like its something they are doing wrong. I'm thinking of not only offering shrinkies and micro-rings but offering the glue method that Kristen does as well and saying to clients that if they don't feel they are getting on with a particular method that they can have their extensions re-fitted without charge with another method. Then hopefully I will get one out of the three that they are happy with and also keep them as regular clients. What do you think?

In answer to your question Marie, I tip all my hair with latex and nail glue x

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 5:23am
Amanda that sounds like some awesome customer service, and shows that you stand behind your work as a stylist!

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 5:35am
Ditto--you obviously really care about your clients, Amanda. Offering a selection of methods is key. That way, you can work with your clients to find the one that's best for them. That's all you can do, really--sometimes it takes a few tries to know what will work and what won't.

You might eventually want to think about offering the pinchbraiding technique. It takes a little while to learn, but I've found them to be very secure--more so than fusion--and it's also good for clients who don't respond well to glue. :)

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 5:54am
Is there a tutorial for pinchbraiding on Kristen's site and how long would you say it takes to do a full head and also does it work well with human hair xx Thanks ladies. I just hate unhappy clients, it makes me unhappy and I know what I would feel like if I paid that amount of money and they started to fall out and the only thing I could do was pay again and have a different method. Hopefully I won't have to do this for everybody LOL xxx

-------------

Posted By: kirsty1888maclennan
Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:43am
where in uk do u stay amanda

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 12:15pm
Amanda, did you buy hair allready tipped or did you tip it your self If so what did you tip with .It looks great buy the way

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 1:09pm
I'm in Nottinghamshire in the UK xx

I tip all my hair with latex and nail glue xx

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 1:09pm
I'm in Nottinghamshire in the UK xx

I tip all my hair with latex and nail glue xx

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:02am
Here's another shrinkie/bohyme update. I took the shrinkies out of my first shrinkie client last night. She had washed her hair just before she came so that she could have it back in. It took me 3 hours to take them all out and work out the residue with vegetable oil. I didn't need to use one bit of acetone at all so as far as I'm concerned it was a total success. Her hair had grown about an inch and a half in ten weeks. I then washed her hair once in fairy liquid and then washed again in normal shampoo and then put her some leave in conditioner and she went home with it wet. She is having her hair back in next week, she is giving her hair a break and having her roots done. She was very very pleased that no acetone was used and there was no damage to her hair whatsoever. She has text me this morning to say that she has done her hair today and her own hair is great, it doesn't feel any thinner than before xxxx

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:42am
Yeay for shrinkies and Amanda!! Amanda, you must be thrilled! Good for you girl!

-------------
It is what it is...

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:45am
Cheers Bridget but I don't like to take all the credit, thanks to Amm xx

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 12:51pm
Amanda, the success is all yours, girl. Whole head shrinkie removals ARE time consuming. You never fully realize it until the entire head comes out. I'll gladly take 3 hour removals over hair loss and breakage.

My bathroom counter looks like a salad bar when it comes time to take them out but my hair is getting longer and longer because of it.

Congrats! Your installs are always so awesome.

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 1:04pm
Thanks a lot Amm, I couldn't believe how easy the residue came out, it made me reconsider offering a third option of the fusion to my clients as it reminded me of the painstaking process of getting the fusion glue out of the client's hair without damaging it. Shrinkies rule!!! Can't wait to get them little things in my hair, it should be here this week xx

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 1:16pm
Amanda, that just reminded me of something I thought of this weekend regarding the shrinkies falling out so fast...

You know if you get conditioner on fusion bonds, they get weak right away and can slide right out (I know; I've done it alot), and I bet maybe that's the culprit with shrinkies as well! It must have been in my case, because I could slide (or tug) shrinkies out for two days following a good hair washing. I was never really careful to keep conditioner away from the shrinkies. You may want to suggest that to your clients, or suggest they use an oil-free conditioner on their scalp area, their usual conditioner on the extension hair.

Just a suggestion which I should follow myself.

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 2:25pm
Well to be honest I thought you could get conditioner near the roots because it was plastic tubing and it wouldn't affect it but maybe that's the mistake I've been making. I might just to be sure tell my clients to not get conditioner near the roots, thanks a lot for the advice, anything is worth a try x

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 2:33pm
Perhaps AMM could chime in here x

Date Posted: March 14 2005 at 6:32pm
Amanda and AMM: When you remove the shrinkies, do you leave the oil on the hair for a while to penetrate first, and then go through, removing the shrinkies from the individual strands? I'm just wondering which approach works best. :)

-------------

Posted By: Amanda8Beechwoo
Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 5:48am

Hi there Jenny, I sectioned the hair into each row that I had put in starting from the bottom of course.  Then I removed all the shrinkies from that row and then saturated that row with the veggie oil, then I rubbed each strand for a little bit and then worked out the residue with a comb.  I thought that if I put the oil on first then it would cause the heat clamp to slip off the shrinkie when I was trying to remove it and I didn't want to slip and burn the client's head xxxx

Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:19am

Hi Amanda,

What do you charge for the take down

Date Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:59am
I charge £20.00 an hour chick which is about $36.00 xxxx

Posted By: michelitapolo
Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:52am
Hi Amanda, how cool to see my own hair on the board!! To be honest I've had a few escapees but only about 15 over nearly 8 weeks and all while brushing damp hair after using conditioner. Now I don't know if thats what causes the fallout, but I've recently started to dry the roots first with cold air and that seems to have worked for the last week or so, I wonder if a combination of wet shrunken hair, too silky from conditioner and heat from the hairdryer coming into contact with the shrinkies has been my problem??!! I say problem but losing a small amount like that over 8 weeks when the shrinkie system is causing my hair zero damage.. well it's a small price to pay to look like a goddess!!

Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 12:18pm

Hi there Michelle, yes I can say, yours is one of the best I've done, I love those colours in your hair, you're in my portfolio at home and everybody comments on your hair.  That's a good point about the brushing damp hair after using conditioner.  Another of my clients, her shrinkies only seem to escape when she's brushing her wet hair, that's a really good idea about cool drying the roots first, I shall have to put that in my aftercare instructions.  Hey you are the ultimate goddess chick xxxxx

Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 1:18pm

Welcome Michelle!!

Amanda, how cool is that to have your client/friend come to the boards!!  Nothing like a 'live' testimonial chick! 

Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 2:04pm
I know I'm chuffed to bits he he xx

Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 4:08pm

Michelle, your hair is beautiful. Welcome to the boards! :)

Posted By: michelitapolo
Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 6:23pm
Hello every one, thanks for the welcome!! I've been watching this site with interest ever since I first came into contact with Amanda via ebay, and way before I had my extensions. Reading what was posted here helped me make up my mind about shrinkies and because Amanda knew which way was up I did an 8 hour round trip to see her instead of bite the bullet and have some crap done in London, thank God!! To be honest I feel slightly star struck talking to you guys!!

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:39pm
Right now this is doing my fricking head in.  I've just had a client e-mail me and she's had her hair in 1 1/2 weeks.  She says she's had 20 come out.  She said that she had washed her hair with fairy liquid before she came to me.  She had really bad bleached hair.  I'm feeling incompetent again.  I'm thinking that shrinkies don't suit everybody.  She said that she had the glued in extensions and none came out!!! Help, is it me or what ?

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:53pm
Amanda, calm down, chick! It is not you. You are not incompetent. Remember: you are a hair ARTISTE!!
You are right: shrinkies don't suit everybody. They just don't. They are a great method for lots of people, but not all people - and I'm one of them. And I WANTED to love them, but for some reason they just don't work well for me either. So the client with the overprocessed bleached hair needs to chill. There's a more appropriate method for her, and maybe with the weak hair, she should do clips for a while and stay off the bleach.

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:57pm
Oh, Amanda--it's not you at all. You've had great success with this method several times, and your installations are beautiful. But it's true: No one method is for everyone. I have extremely overprocessed hair, and for me, braiding works best, and glues are a nightmare; for others, braids don't work, and they're better off with glues. Weaves, tubes, and shrinks stay in some hair, and not in others. My boyfriend's shrinkies didn't stay in long, but he uses a lot of pomades and gunk.

I'm sure if the client has an oily scalp, it affects things, as well as their daily styling regimen and the porosity and "smoothness" of their hair. Hell, it could have to do with the PH level of the water where they live. And sometimes, it's not anything a client is doing or your application; it's just a mystery--it works for some and not for others. As far as incompetance, that's ridiculous--you and AMM have had more success with this system than anyone, so obviously you're doing something right.

I think that as a stylist, all you can really do is try to offer more methods. If I understand it, you're already offering extendtubes too, correct? So you may want to add a braiding method to that. I'm not a fan of glues, but maybe you could add that to the mix as well. At that point--if you're offering several methods, and nothing works for someone--well, what can anyone do really?

Please don't get discouraged or beat yourself up about this. You've done so much good work, and your clients have been raving about you. It's only natural that it's not going to work for someone eventually, and that's nobody's fault: It's just the reality of the product combined with that client's specific hair.

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:14pm
Thanks guys, I e-mailed her and asked her if they came out when she was washing them, thinking that could be it, her reply was "I've had them before, I know how to treat them, they just seem to be slipping out".  I can't understand how they can just slip out, they were rock hard when they went in.  When I get back from my wedding I think I'm going to start practising the pinch braiding as well as the shrinkies and extentubes and I'm also going to buy a gun from Kristen and offer the glue method as a last resort.  The only thing is people where I live don't like you to know they are wearing extensions so with the pinch braiding, can you cover up the braids if you don't work high up the head and can you see them when you pull your hair up in a pony x Do you think I should offer the glue in wefts as well.  I've also started offering the micro ring wefts as well but people are concerned with putting their hair up.  Again thanks guys, I'm so glad I've got this board, nobody else seems to understand.  We strive for the perfect extension method.  I think I'm more upset for her than she is LOL xx

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:52pm
Amanda, maybe she's getting her conditioner, and or smoothing sprays too close to the shrinkie bonds? Just a thought.  Or maybe her natural hair and scalp is just too oily for this method.  Don't get down on yourself though... You know you do a good job!!  

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:14pm
It's totally mystifying. But when you think about it, there are lots of us here, and between us, we have every different preferred method imaginable.

As far as pinchbraids, they're somewhat more visible than the shrinks and tubes, but they have the advantage of supereasy removal, no fancy equipment or supplies, no pretipping, and minimal to no damage. They've certainly been the easiest method on the hair that I've tried, and that includes shrinkies and extendtubes. But it's a trade-off, which is why it wouldn't be best for everyone either. Mine never slip at all, but that's just my experience wtih my stylist: Everyone's is different. I remember Rose saying that hers slipped right out. Mine aren't undetectable when I put my hair up, but no method has  been for me--I think that's just a reality of having very thin, very blonde hair and adding a lot of hair to that. I have seen pinchbraid jobs that look very undetectable, though.

Cheer up, Amanda--and remember, this isn't your fault. We all know that you try incredibly hard to make your clients happy.

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:28pm

Thanks a lot chicks, I've changed my advert to basically say all what you guys have said, I've said that not every method is suitable to every person but that hair extensions isn't just about making money to me its about happy clients and that if they save their hair and find that the method I've installed isn't suitable to them that I will refit them with a different method free of charge until we find the method that they are suitable to.

Then I'm covered aren't I and people will feel that they can come back to me if things aren't working out, well hopefully anyway. 

Just one question about the pinch braids.  Can you use human hair with them xxxx

"

Posted By: mochachip
Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:38pm
human hair plus pinch braids = yup

you need it to be a little longer ~2"  than you want the final result because of the folding over...

or so I hear

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:38pm
Oh, yeah--you can use either. I've had pinchbraided Bohyme (which is what you usually use, right?), and it worked fine. :)

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:39pm
Yup--that's a good point, Mocha--the overlap will eat up about 1 1/2 inches of the length. :)

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:42pm

Is Kristen's pinch braid the one I should follow if I'm using bohyme xxx Thanks a lot guys, I can see I've got lots of practising to do.  Are the pinch braids less detectable if I do lots of small ones or is it better if I do 100 bigger ones like Kristen says xx

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 3:15pm
I didn't think Kristin did pinchbraiding, actually, but let me check her site.....checking....oh, that's Rae's tutorial from Hairalchemy. Yeah, the technique is the same no matter what hair you use. And I think what Rae was saying is that you'd want to do at least 100 pinchbraids for a head and probably more. That said, they're not extendtubes or shrinkies, so I think it'd be hard to do more than 150 or 175 on a head. How thick or thin you make em would really depend on the look you want. I think the visibility will be more determined by how far they are from the part and hairlines. Most of the reason they're more visible than shrinks or links, imo, is because they're longer, not thicker, than those methods. But yeah, basically the pattern you use for an install would be the same as it would for other methods. :)

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:49pm
Mmm I'm intrigued.  I've just been practising on my manniquin with a strand of pre-tipped hair.  I'm thinking that if the hair wasn't pre-tipped and it was bulk that I would have got it everywhere, is there a nack to this or is it just practice xxx

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:57pm
Amanda, I just want to add one thing about your advert. You don't have to promise to retrofit a client's head until you find the right system for them...that seems extremely generous and I'm just afraid someone, or someones, will take advantage of that to get their hair done free. In fact, I'll bet money that eventually you'll get someone like that. Just offer to help the client find the right system, and when you meet with the client, you can sort of go over the various methods, etc and get a feel if the person is a possible rip-off artist or not, know what i mean?
You do great work, have plenty of great pictures to show, happy clients to refer to - that's all you need.

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 6:02pm
Well that crossed my mind but obviously there will be a time limit on it, I'm not going to do a full head extensions of some other method if they've had their hair in over 3 weeks or something and not told me if any have fallen out or anything and then just ring me up one day and expect me to change their method, I suppose I'm going to have to be careful but I really don't know what else to do.  I feel like giving it up as a bad job every time somebody's hair doesn't go right.  I suppose that's me all over though, I'm a bit soft in the head LOL xx

Posted By: zapevaj
Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 6:02pm
It's just patience; learning how to work with bulk hair is IMO very useful for a stylist, as you can't always get the hair you need in weft/pre-tip. It's not so hard, it's just about going slowly, pinching off how much hair you need with one hand and separating it out with the other hand, and always keeping the loop (for doubled-over hair, like synth) or tips of the hair (for most human) aligned and in the same place.

And yeah, about 100 pinchbraids. The smaller and more plentiful they are, the less noticeable. You can do them really any size- the smallest I've seen were some done by Boogiemama on my friend Carmen. They were itty bitty streaks of synth, and the braid was no more than an eighth of an inch wide. If you had the patience to do a whole head of those, ain't nobody could see them. :)

The 100 number is just an estimate, btw- I've never actually remembered to count how many braids I've done. It's about 100, I think, but I'll try to get a more accurate number next time.

-Rae

-------------
http://www.hairalchemy.net - Hair Alchemy

Posted By: purrmachine
Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 6:14pm

Pinchbraids can be any size- the less hair you put into each braid, the smaller the braid.  Lots of small braids are a lot less noticeable than a smaller number of big ones.

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 3:24am

Thanks a lot zap.  Do you do your sectioning exactly the same as with the other methods x

Jenny, Amm, shrinkie gals, help again!  I did my friend's hair with shrinkies on Saturday and she's had 7 come out already, she text me this morning.  She says that the shrinkies are still in her hair but the tip has come out.  I'm thinking that the shrinkie isn't sticking/adhering to the tip.  My friend has oily hair but she washed 3 times in dish soap.  Its obviously not the fact that her hair is oily otherwise surely the shrinkie wouldn't still be in her hair, I'm baffled now.  I thought maybe its cos I've changed nail glue recently but I've just phoned up my supplier and checked the ingredients of my previous nail glue and its the exact same as the present one I'm using .  I so want to perfect this but things seem to be getting worse.

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:13am
Hmm...just for curiosity, what percentage of your clients have had no slippage or minimal slippage, and what percentage have had too much slippage? Your application has been basically the same from client to client, and you've been using the same tools and supplies, so I think this just goes to show that some methods stay in some people's hair and don't in others. Maybe you'll have more success with Kristin's shrinkies, too. It would still seem, based on the success you've had so far, that it's a very good method for a lot of people, though.

Maybe AMM has some thoughts on the shrinkies adhering to the hair but the tip falling out. She has a lot of experience with shrinkies, and she may be able to do some trouble-shooting here.

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:31am

Here's goes.

1st shrinkie client Kirsty - applied with flat iron, lasted 8 weeks before they started to come out, only had one come out in first 6 weeks, re-fit on Sunday - happy client

Alex - applied with doc's heat clamp, just rebooked for refit 14th May, has had about 20 come out in 9 weeks - happy client

Carly - applied with doc's heat clamp, not suitable to shrinkies at all, kept sliding out as has greasy hair, re-fitted with extentubes, no slippage or movement with extentubes - happy client

Michelle - applied with doc's heat clamp, still in, had about 15 come out in 8 weeks - happy client

Laura - had no contact with this client, deleted her e-mail address without thinking so don't know whether happy or not

Emily - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in three weeks, none come out - happy client

Sharon - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in two weeks, had 10 come out - happy client

Sonia - applied with doc's heat clamp, not suitable to shrinkies at all, total slippage because of greasy hair, re-fitting Friday with extentubes - still happy client

Dee - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in two weeks, had 20 come out, don't know why as hair was over bleached so can't imagine it being greasy, being refitted after I come back from my wedding with glue - unhappy client

Lisa - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in two weeks, had about 15 come out with her hair in them, advised client she must be tugging and if continues will refit with different method - not happy or unhappy client, somewhere in the middle, loves the hair but she's obviously worried about hers coming out with the shrinkies.

Dawn (my mate) - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in since Saturday, 7 come out already, already knew she had greasy hair but she washed it with dish soap 3 times and insisted I try them, seeing how things go and then possibly re-fitting with extentubes - obviously happy cos she's my mate LOL

So that's 6 definitely happy clients, 1 I don't know, 1 definitely unhappy and 3 not suited but being re-fitted xxxx

Its still baffling me that if the client has greasy hair then surely it should be the shrinkie that slips out of the hair as well as the tip, not just the tip

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:36pm
Hmm...honestly, I think there's more going on here than just a few clients having greasy hair. You've obviously bent over backward to provide great service and alternatives when the system doesn't work, and it's obvious that most of your clients are happy, but I'm counting a total of 11 clients here, 5 of whom the shrinkies seem to work well for, 5 of whom have had major slippage, and 1 you don't know what the status is. So let's just say the shrinkies are working 50% of the time, so they're a good method for 50% of the people. You've been using the same supplies and techniques, so it can't possibly be you. At the same time, if it were maybe one client in 11 who was having difficulties, you could assume that it's maybe something that client is doing or something very unusual about their hair, but if 5 are having major slippage, I think it indicates a limitation of the method, frankly. Again, no one's fault--just the reality, imo.

I think you're doing everything you can possibly do here to provide the best possible service, but at this point, I just wouldn't expect shrinkies to work 100% of the time, or even 90% of the time. A 50% success rate is still good, as long as you can provide some other options if the shrinkies don't work out. Maybe someone else has some thoughts on this. I believe Kristin once said that when she has a consultation with a potential client, she'll put a few shrinkies, a few tubes, and a few fusion bonds in their hair, and then they can decide which they want depending on how they perform over the next week or so (hopefully I got this right--you might want to check with Kristin), but this may be a helpful approach. Of course, this isn't always possible if you're having phone consultations or the person doesn't live nearby.

Anyway, Amanda, you're doing an excellent job, and I'm sure you'll figure out how best to proceed. You're clearly doing something right because you have a lot of happy clients, and they keep coming back!

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:58pm
Amanda I have been playing with these shrinkys on my manikin some I rolled some not like save a stray said to do with MB.I found that when I rolled it ,It didnt seem to seal as well every time so I had them put in my hair by a friend and I had her heat and leave alone. They all feel very sealed but of course time will tell and I will let you know how it goes .I also made the tips flat like sas said. I have had trouble with all my oily cliens with exten tube and short to long. but I find If they shampoo wiht Nioxin shampoo it will realy cut down on the oil. I also tell them to not go longer than every other with the shampooing

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:14pm
well I put 5 testers in on Sunday night with a flat iron on hair that hadn't been washed since Saturday morning.

Last night I was abusing the crap out my head.  I bleached some parts and oclored others and first used color remover everywhere and dishsoap and clarifying shampoo and a hot oil treatment and yeesh everything.

now clearly they haven't been in long enough to really tell but they did get the craap kicked out of them last night and they are still hard and in place.  I pretipped with LG and nail glue...

I'm sure you're doing a bang up job and that it's a question a hair greasiness and this client possibly trying to exploit you.

Maybe extendtubes are the way to go for her.

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:45pm
You know what? Maybe it's the shrinkies. Maybe they're just irregular - some good, some bad. Amanda, you aught to give Kristin's a try and see if they behave more predictably. And if somehow you could get hold of Mark Barrington's or a sample of them, that would be good, too, for comparison. They may just be really different.

Posted By: metalgirl
Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:43pm

Amanda,

I don't think the problem is with you at all, I think that Doc's shrinkies are inconsistant and therefore produce inconsistant results.

Try Kristen's shrinkies.

In the meantime, I'll tell MB that you're a stylist in England who is interested in his system but certainly can't come to the USA for a class and see if he's  willing to work something out with you.

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:05pm

I wonder the same thing about the Doc shrinkies being inconsistant. So many of us have done tests with them, different pretips, different tools, different temps, with very different results. I have yet to master the shrinkies, as much as Ive practiced with them. Some shrink down really good others just dont seem to shrink down enough. So Im not sure if its me, my technique, my tools or the shrinkies themself. I question it being my technique or my tools based on the fact that Amm has such amazing results, and not much slippage or lost strands. Although loosing a few over the duration of the extensions isnt a big deal. On my current set of extensions I have in 30 shrinkies for testing. I have lost 4 I think, which isnt bad, but makes me wonder how many I would have lost if the other 200 fusion bonds were shrinkies...kinda scarey! I have lost 2 fusion bonds over 9 weeks out of 200 and 4 shrinkies out of 30.....Shrinkies have been in 3 or 4 weeks but lost or 4 shrinkies in the first week or so and havent lost any since, but I can feel that a few are starting to 'soften'.

Im thinking about giving Kristens shrink tubes a try to compare them.

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:12pm
Ditto what Sherrie said. I installed test shrinkies (Doc's) on myself with a flatiron and others on my boyfriend with Doc's wand, and the results--both the hold and the ease of removal (or lack therof)--were not consistent enough for me to feel confident installing an entire head, as much as I wanted to.

Hell, Metalgirl has been using the MB shrinks for a long time--so obviously she has a lot of expertise in this--and if she says Doc's shrinkies aren't consistent, I think it's safe to say there's an issue there. In that context, yours and AMM's success is pretty damned impressive!

Date Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:45pm

Hey Jenn do you think there is anything to be said about flatter pretips with the shrinkies, rather than the rounded tips? I've noticed a few of the members have been starting to talk about making the pretips flat.

This might be a good question for Amm.......heyyyyyy Ammmm.....where are ya!

Posted By: shel221
Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:02am

I know what your going through Amanda.  At one point i was sold a certain glue stick of my supplier at the time and they worked out at £10 and were advertised as being brilliant so i used them on all of my clients (and this was at my busy time too) and one by one they were all coming back to me but for what?? Well these so called fabulous sticks were only fabulous until water touched them and made them all fall out peoples hair and of course i had to re- do with new hair at my expense.  What a complete carry on and fortune.  I know this isnt the same cituation as yours but i worked hard will all they clients and it made me feal incompetent.  I now stick to the same keratin wax sticks and will do forever from my current supplier £3 each as they don't budge in peoples hair.  Maybe for these clients that are causing you problems, you could use one of the sticks i use and if they have a problem then they can phone me as ive used them for years and never had any problems.  Occasionally i have had a customer say they have had some fall out but its turned out its due to them picking at them, left them in over 12 weeks (so it would be expected then) or are just plain chancers who have decieded they dont suit extensions and just want there money back.  Watch for these type of customers.

x

Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:22am

Hey there guys, as I've said before, I'm so glad I've found this board otherwise I think I'd have given up doing extensions by now and have felt a failure.  I've got another couple of bookings for this weekend for shrinkie clients but I've made it quite clear on the telephone that if they aren't suited with this method that I will re-fit them.  I want to prepare them for the fact that everybody isn't suited to them.  That's a brill idea about putting a few in of each method in their hair to see which they like.  I'm definitely going to offer that to people when they come for their consultation if they live nearby, thanks Jenny. 

Marie - I'm intrigued with this flat tipping business.  Can you post a picture of what your flat tips look like, its got to be worth a try.  I've always rolled my shrinkies because it says to roll them on the doc's site.

Syren - I ordered some of Kristen's shrinkies, a glue gun and some glue sticks yesterday so when they come I'm going to test them on a friend to see if they are any different.  I'm thinking that the Doc's shrinkies are becoming inconsistent.  I found one the other day where the Keratin coating was hanging out of the shrinkie, well at least that proves they are coated with keratin but then I thought, well maybe the keratin just melts onto the client's hair and comes away from the shrinkie or something and then doesn't readhere back onto the shrinkie when its shank.

Metal girl - If you could do that for me with MB it would be brilliant, if you were at the side of me I'd have kissed you for even suggesting it.  Maybe he could give some pity to this poor being xxx

Shel - thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on that if Kristen's sticks don't work out xxxx

Again, thanks guys

Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:50am
Originally posted by sherrie215 sherrie215 wrote:

Hey Jenn do you think there is anything to be said about flatter pretips with the shrinkies, rather than the rounded tips?

Yeah, that sounds quite plausible to me. I know the conventional wisdom is that they should be "rolled," but if the shrinkie isn't heating uniformly or doesn't contain enough glue, maybe that creates more problems. And quite frankly, I don't think these things should need to be rolled. If the shrinkie is shrinking around the tip as it should, and there's a glue coating, but you still have to roll 'em, it sort of makes me wonder what the advantage is over fusion frankly. Plus, maybe the "rolling" can actually dislodge the glue bond that's been melted into the hair/tip, rather than reinforcing it. It sounds counterintuitive, but I think it's a possibility at least.

Yeah, I think further testing with Kristin's shrinks is in order here. Amanda's done 11 heads and obviously knows what she's doing, and many others with lots of extension experience, including yourself, have been having the same difficulties, so there's an issue, imo.

Posted By: Rapunzelwannabe
Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 11:15am
I'm with these ladies on the idea the shrinkies they might do better without rolling--maybe just cook 'em and then let the inner coating penetrate where it will and let it set.

Perhaps rolling is ruining the benefit of the interior coating.

Seems like someone (mochachip?) was experimenting with what shampoos/conditioners made these soft.  That seems to be my biggest problem--the shrinkies getting all squishy and soft after a few weeks. 

What a conundrum!  When they're good, they're really good, and when they're bad, they're...

Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:28pm
Maybe the glue coating inside heat shrink tubing isn't consistent. Maybe the glue is getting too hot or not hot enough or maybe there's too much build up on an individual's hair on installation. Maybe there's too much rolling. Maybe you shouldn't roll. Maybe hair texture plays a large part in shrinkie success/failure. Maybe the water's too soft or too hard that you're washing your hair with.

We could go on and on and on here.

My approach is direct - instead of pondering what will work and what might not - just do it. If you think flat tips would be better - do it. Come back and post the findings. If you think not rolling will be better - do it. Come back and tell us if it worked or not.

I had 5 shrinkies come out last night at the nape because I had too much conditioner in there. They were all synth so the expand/contract theory can't really be used. I have some that are spongy feeling, too. Most aren't.

This goes any type of extension method - if you've tried it every which way 'til Tuesday and it won't work - dump the method and move on.     

Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:29pm
Rapunzel - I'm not so much experiemnting with what screws them up as I was testng out my application skills and needed to get my hair prepped for the full installation (this weekend!) however.  I have about 20 different shampoos and 10 different conditioners sitting around for various purposes.  And I'd be more than willing to report back on how each one does and what the major ingredients in each are.

I actually have a conundrum to work out about when to do my Aphogee deep conditioning treatment.  My hair is pretty cooked but when I do these every so often it reall helps and since I just took about 1/4 of my natural hair from ~#4 to a light buttery yellow with bleach its really time to give it a go again.  So I either need to treat before shrinkies (like tonight with  saturday application in mind) but that stuff makes your hair super smooth.  Or do it after the shrinkies go in but then its an hour or so treatment with deep conditioner under heat which could soften up t he shrinkies...  I could only put in on away from my scalp but thats very difficult, cause all the hair needs to fit into my soft bonnet so I pile it on my head.  But even so theres the heat...

Should make an interesting experiment to share with y'll and the softening of the shrinkies.

Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:07pm
Well I don't know whether to make the tips flat or not cos I mean the clients that I've done where the shrinkies haven't come out, the tips then were rolled, I suppose it can't hurt.  I'm due to tip some hair ready for Friday's client tonight so I'm going to do it flat and then see if she has any come out.  I'm not going to roll them either so we'll see what happens.  Hopefully they won't come out otherwise I'm going to have to try and squeeze the client in before I fly to get married on 4th April to have a re-fit yikes!!! xx I'll keep you posted with the unrolled shrinkies with flat tips xx

Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:00pm

Amanda I dont know how to do phots yet but if you look at save a strays pre tiping thred what the look like befor the roll is what they look like. Also  I'm going to play with somy epoxy. Some of them can with stand tempetures up to 160 wich means it would with stand the heat.I feel looking at the MB tips SAS showed the plastic bond is just at the tip of the hair wich would alow the shrinkys adhesive to also come in contack with the hair . Dose this make any senceand if we can find the plastic to use it would just be one step instead of latex and glue.By the way my shrinkys which none were rolled after heat are all the same shape and size .When doing this you must be carefull for a few seconds not to pull the hair out before it cools.I hope ths helps.

Date Posted: March 24 2005 at 4:27am
Yes that has helped Marie, thank you very much.  I tipped a whole 4oz weft last night with flat tips and small like you've said and then I tipped my nail glue into a little pot that I found and just dipped the tip into that and wow it was a lot easier and quicker.  I've got a really good feelin about this.  I actually like the look of the tips a lot more as well.  They look a lot more professional like this.  Fingers crossed it will work.  The client's due tomorrow so I'll keep you lot posted xxx What's somy epoxy? xx

Date Posted: March 24 2005 at 6:53am
Good luck You will find them easyer they dont slip out whe puting them in!!

Print Page | Close Window