Print Page | Close Window

Wants to get extensions

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20403
Printed Date: October 05 2024 at 5:29am

Topic: Wants to get extensions
Posted By: Camille83
Subject: Wants to get extensions
Date Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:07pm
Hi everybody

I want to get extensions but I don't know how to get started so can anybody on here help out a first timer for extensions

Right now my hair is about 5" past jaw length and it's all one length with no layers so I hope somebody can really help me out about getting extensions and I've seen some great looking pictures of extensions on CaliforniaKristin, RoseRose and Jenny_RR who have gorgeous long hair extensions

THANKS
Camille

Replies:
Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: February 24 2005 at 10:24pm
Hi Camille, and welcome!

Extensions can be very overwhelming for beginners. Hell, it's overwhelming for me, and I chat about them every day. Point being, the best place to start would be with the Extensions 101 thread at the top of the board page; there's also another one called Bridget, Your Questions Is Here, which you might find helpful.

Those will give you a basic overview of the methods, the kinds of hair available, and so forth. I would suggest you take a little time to check those out, and then repost with any questions you have (and there are always lots of questions because it's quite confusing, really). Also, you might want to post a picture of your real hair (or an Internet photo that looks like your real hair), along with a photo of what you would like it to look like. Seeing the photos is often helpful in figuring out what the different options are.

Again, welcome, and good luck! :)

-------------
http://www.beautyaddictmag.com - www.beautyaddictmag.com

Posted By: tonilee07
Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 2:43pm
I am in the same boat and I have now been reading on this site since 7:30 am = ) needless to say I am on complete over load.

basically looking for a way to add length and fullness on my wedding day and through honeymoon.

my hair is down to my bra strap BUT is layered so when up I barely have any fullness.

natural hair is mixed fine and coarse medium in thickness and dries wavy. I blow out and straighten with a round iron and leaves hair silky and full of volume. looming for length and same texture hair?

sidebar: is I have tricotilamania (sp) a hair pulling disorder. I am wondering if extensions would stop me from pulling?

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:16pm
Hi, ToniLee, and welcome!

I think it's great that you're looking into ways to enhance your hair for your wedding. But if you have trichotillomania, I would seriously urge you to use the utmost caution. I'm not an expert in this by any means, but I do not think that extensions will prevent you from pulling your hair out; in fact, they could make matters worse. I do know that there are salons that install extensions on trich clients, but I'm not sure that it's advisable, and if I were you, I'd wait until after your wedding to try it. And of course, you should consult with a doctor first.

Perhaps a better idea (and I think this is an especially good option for weddings and events) might be clip-in extensions, which you can apply and remove with no committment. These would work well if you're wearing your hair down or swept back in the front. If you want a more amped-up dramatic style, a 3/4 or drawstring fall might be ideal. And if you're wearing your hair up, you can't go wrong with a clip-on ponytail, bun, or updo. Some of these pieces are really exquisite and can look much better for a dressy event, imo, than actual permanent extensions; plus, they require virtually no upkeep.

Whatever you decide to do, again, I would urge you to use caution. I also think it would be good to test-drive some of these removable options first. That way, you can better gauge whether or not you'll be comfortable with a headful of extensions.

Good luck! :)

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 7:32pm
thanks jenny I really appreciate your honesty. Now I will check this site for the best place to get these clip-in extensions. If you have any sources I would be so greatful if you could forward them.

-------------

Date Posted: February 26 2005 at 12:30am
Well, generally you'll get better quality for less money if you make the clip-ins yourself, but of course, not everyone wants to do that, so there are several places you can buy from. You may want to create a separate post explaining what you're looking for and others can advise you where to buy (I would, but I don't wear clip-ins, actually). If you are interested in making them yourself, Metalgirl has posted lots of instructions and helpful hints. Just search the site a little for clip-in extensions, and you should find them.

As far as clip-on ponytails or 3/4 wigs, which I do wear, there are lots of places to buy. I've gotten some really nice ones from ebay actually, as well as from InternationalWig.com.

The biggest challenge with these sorts of pieces, imo, is finding the perfect color match. I generally buy synthetic and can match my color fairly well with those, but if your hair is highlighted or an otherwise difficult-to-match color, it can be a challenge if you're buying online. Human hair can be helpful in this regard, because you can dye it to match, unlike with synth. With the clip-ins (as opposed to the 3/4 falls and ponytails, it's also important that the texture matches well; with the clip-on ponytails and 3/4 falls, it's not really an issue.

Good luck! :)

-------------

Date Posted: February 27 2005 at 6:20pm
thanks for your help jenny....

-------------

Posted By: MERGUTHRIE
Date Posted: February 28 2005 at 10:13am
Tonilee...

I am thinking about getting something like this for my own wedding and having my hair colored to match the week b4 the wedding.

http://hisandher.com/store/shop_product.asp?main=MAIN_004&sub=SUB_005&pro=1 - http://hisandher.com/store/shop_product.asp?main=MAIN_004&sub=SUB_005&pro=1

-------------
i love plastikhaar

Print Page | Close Window