Print Page | Close Window

need help fast!!!!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20409
Printed Date: October 05 2024 at 5:25am

Topic: need help fast!!!!
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: need help fast!!!!
Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:18am
hi everyone..i want to get hair extensions pritty soon so i have some questions first,my real hair is a little bit past my shoulders, and i want to get hair extenisons half way down my back how much hair/packages/ounces will i need will i need to get, i want to get the human hair probally wefted in or which technique do i use that will last 3-5 months ?, and also do they look real or can you tell they're fake?..if any of you can answer these questions it'll be appreciated thanks!!

Replies:
Posted By: Amanda8beech
Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:28am
Hi there chick, you would need at least 6 ounces if you want to achieve this length otherwise it will look sparse. If you want them to last between 3 and 5 months you need to put them in with some kinda strand by strand method but you should really have a maintenance at 3 months x

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:29am
Oh yeah and it depends on if they are applied correctly, but usually people won't be able to tell x

-------------

Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:31am
Hi Sabby, and welcome!

It sounds like extensions might be a good option for you, but it's hard to tell what method would be best without knowing more about your hair (thin/thick, curly/wavy/straight, fine/coarse, color, virgin/color-treated, etc.).

Right off the bat, though, you shouldn't leave any extensions in your hair for more than three months. Depending on the method and the quality of the hair and how you care for it, you may be able to reuse the hair past that time, but all extensions need to be maintenanced at least once every three months (and some methods more frequently than that). Even if they were to "last" in your hair longer than three months, it's not advisable to keep them in. Your hair will have grown out enough at that point that you'll need to move the connections or wefts closer to the scalp.

Some extensions look amazingly real and others look incredibly fake. It really just depends on how well the hair blends with your own, as well as the method used, how you style them, and so forth.

How many ounces of hair you'll need will also depend on the thickness and specific length you want, as well as other factors. Generally, I would say from 4 to 8 ounces as a a rule of thumb, but again, it all depends.

The best place to start would be with the Extensions 101 thread at the top of the board page; there's also another one called Bridget, Your Questions Is Here, which you might find helpful.

Those will give you a basic overview of the methods, the kinds of hair available, and so forth. I would suggest you take a little time to check those out, and then repost with any questions you have (and there are always lots of questions because it's quite confusing, really). Also, you might want to post a picture of your real hair (or an Internet photo that looks like your real hair), along with a photo of what you would like it to look like. Seeing the photos is often helpful in figuring out what the different options are.

Again, welcome, and good luck! :)

P.S.--It would also be good to know whether you're plannin on getting this done by an extensionist or doing it yourself. Some methods are easier than others for first-time DIYers. :)

-------------
http://www.beautyaddictmag.com - www.beautyaddictmag.com

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:36am
I also tend to agree with Amanda about the ounces thing. Some people go with as little as 4 ounces (presumably they already have fairly long hair), but I do think that ends up looking sparse on most people. :)

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:52am
thanks everyone!!...i will look for some pictures of me and scan them today and maybe that'll help,umm my hair isnt that thick but not to thin.....and does anyone know how i post my pics on here?..i will read some of the posts on here and see if i can get any info also

Date Posted: February 25 2005 at 8:19am
If you e-mail me a picture of yourself to Amanda8Beechwood2003@Yahoo.co.uk I'll post it up here for you x

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2005 at 12:55pm
C:\My Documents\lastscan.jpg

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 3:32am

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 3:37am
^^^^ sorry it took me so long to post the picture you guys and im not sure how to make the photos smaller so i apolagize for that to.....ummm thats the only picture i can find that my hairs down on.....i have a couple questions can i weft my own hair (put extensions in)? is it easy to do? and is their any websites that have step by step instructions for this type of stuff?

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:47am
From the looks of it, you'd be a great candidate for extensions, because your hair looks long and thick enough on top to conceal the connections and it's a few different lengths, which makes blending easier (with blunt, all-one-length hair, like a bob, it can be really hard to blend without cutting your real hair). Plus, your hair's nice and dark, which also helps to conceal the connections, imo, and means that if you get human hair, you'll get better quality (I've found the darker the hair is, the better the quality of the extensions).

From the looks of it, you could get either strand by strand or wefts; it's really just your preference. If you want wefts, you can definitely do them yourself. The microring- or extentube-weft method might be easiest, but you could also use glue (I'm not a big fan of glue, but if you think your hair's strong enough, it might work). Actually weaving tracks and sewing in wefts might me a bit more difficult, but lots of people do that, too. See the Extensions 101 thread up top; it'll show you links to demos for each method.

With wefts, you'll get a flatter, more undectable result with hand-tied, which costs a little more than machine-made wefts. I would recommend getting at least two packages of hair, or about 8 ounces.

Good luck! :)

And one more thing: I'm not sure that microringed or bonded wefts will last three months without maintenance, though. I could be wrong (so others should weigh in here), but I think it may be more like two months. On the plus side, they're quicker to install and tighten than strand-by-strand. The hair, if it's good quality and well cared for could last from 3 to 9 months. It really depends on a lot of factors.

-------------

Posted By: zapevaj
Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 1:28am
Yeah, ring weaves last anywhere from 2-4 months total (depending on how fast your hair grows), and should have maintenance at least once in that time.

-Rae

-------------
http://www.hairalchemy.net - Hair Alchemy

Print Page | Close Window