Print Page | Close Window

Hair Extensions 4 thinning hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20463
Printed Date: October 05 2024 at 5:34am

Topic: Hair Extensions 4 thinning hair
Posted By: Monika
Subject: Hair Extensions 4 thinning hair
Date Posted: March 02 2005 at 4:07pm
I have thinning hair and have had hair extensions since 11/04. I get them redone about every month or so. I have 2 tracks of hair. She makes a braid of my hair mixed with longer hair like a half of a halo around the top of my head (I'm very thin on the top of my head) and then sews in the hair extension. Is this causing more damage to my hair? I get alot of complements on my hair and the close friends I have told are amazed on how natural it looks. I'm just worried that I'm causing needless damage to my hair and I will lose more hair. Help!

-------------
Monika =)

Replies:
Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: March 02 2005 at 5:25pm
Welcome, Monika.

I think the best way to tell if the extensions are hurting your hair is to run your fingers through it during removal and inspect it from every angle. It can be hard to tell, if your hair is thinning already and because you'll lose some hair during removal anyway because of normal shedding, but you should try to get the best look at it you can.

In general, I think hair extensions may be useful for some people with hairloss, as long as the thinning is subtle and there isn't a very wide part or visible bald spots; in those cases, intergration pieces, toppers, and wigs are usually better options.

Do you know what kind of method your stylist uses for attachment--links, glue, braids, weaving?

Again, welcome! :)

Edited to say: OK, I see that she's sewing the hair onto a braided track. As long as the hair's not being braided too tight, that's a relatively safe method, imo. Not that any extensions will really improve your real hair, but I do think non-glue, non-metal methods are best for those with hairloss/thinning. :)

-------------
http://www.beautyaddictmag.com - www.beautyaddictmag.com

Posted By: purrmachine
Date Posted: March 02 2005 at 6:26pm
Monika,

I wear extensions due to hair thinning which occurred over time several years ago. Hair extensions are relatively safe if the following conditions are met:

1. you are not currently experiencing a major shedding episode. The weight of the extensions may exacerbate this.

2. If using wefts, tracks are not sewn tightly. This is very important, you don't want to add too much tension to the roots of the hair.

3. If doing strand by strand, you do not add any more hair than that which is equal to the amount of your own hair you are adding it to, for the same reason as above.

4. I prefer synthetic hair to human because synthetic does not absorb water, thus is not heavy on your head when wet, causing stress to your hair follicles.

In fact I think all these things are important even for people whose hair is not thinning.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window