Print Page | Close Window

Single Strand Placement Preferences

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20522
Printed Date: October 05 2024 at 3:29am

Topic: Single Strand Placement Preferences
Posted By: delin
Subject: Single Strand Placement Preferences
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 1:08pm
I am patiently (impatiently really, I wanted it the next day!) awaiting the arrival of my PH hair, Dr Locs shrinkies and Kristins liquid gold. (I was up late one night and went on an online shopping spree, I should go to bed earlier)
I've been fiddling around with DIY for about a year, but would like some input on application placement. I know most of these are personal preferences, I’m just curious what you prefer.
Do you find it better to start at the nape or crown?
Has anyone tried Kalika's method of layering before application?
Do you place right up to the scalp or give a little "leeway".
I read Sherrie’s post regarding the 3-way mirror behind and lamps clamped to the top to do the back. I’ve got my workstation ready to go…no more sitting on the bathroom counter-top with my hiney in the sink, hair spread everywhere, and a hand mirror to try and do the back. This time I’m going to be organized…I have good intentions anyway, but I’m sure it will quickly develop into chaos. I can’t wait!

Replies:
Posted By: Scotchyroo
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 1:31pm
Here's your first tip: start at the bottom for god's sake. It's a realy hassle to keep the extension hair out of the way to work lower down the head (hope that makes sense). This way, the hair you've just installed doesn't have to be bundled out of the way of your next row of work.
My only other set in glue suggestion (and i'm super curious to see if people disagree), is not to start too low in the nape. I'd go just below the ears and curve down and around a bit in the back for the first row.
Take your time with the sections. Clean, well placed sections will make your installation go faster and your life with extensions happier and more damage free. best wishes

-------------

Posted By: Bridget
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 1:43pm
Absolutely... start at nape! I've never heard of starting at the crown, anyone?

GINA had a swell idea... I hope you don't mind me sharing your idea Gina! Glue your pretipped hair inside the extendtube/shrinkie before you loop it on your hair, makes it easier for DIY!

Best wishes on your install Delin!

-------------
It is what it is...

Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 1:44pm
Absolutely... start at nape! I've never heard of starting at the crown, anyone?

GINA had a swell idea... I hope you don't mind me sharing your idea Gina! Glue your pretipped hair inside the extendtube/shrinkie before you loop it on your hair, makes it easier for DIY!

Best wishes on your install Delin!

-------------
It is what it is...

Posted By: Gina E
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 2:22pm
Of course I don't mind silly!!!!
It's bout time I start contributing!
I'll post the pics tonight
Gna

-------------
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/GinaE52979/EvansFirstDayandRoxy06019.jpg - White Boxer

Posted By: Gina E
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 2:26pm
Wait... she's using shrinkies.
Try the double shrink method!

-------------
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/GinaE52979/EvansFirstDayandRoxy06019.jpg - White Boxer

Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 2:27pm
True That!

-------------
It is what it is...

Posted By: kristinc
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 5:01pm
Wait stop the presses....DOUBLE SHRINK method
Do tell......

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 7:28pm
KristenC...

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=9197 - http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=9197 http:// -

-------------
It is what it is...

Posted By: kristinc
Date Posted: March 08 2005 at 8:09pm
I swear sometimes I live under a rock....can't belive I missed that!!!
With the double shrinkie, is it really bulky on your head?

-------------

Posted By: Amanda8beech
Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 4:22am
Hi there, waiting for my hair at the moment to do my diy. Was going to put extentubes in the back of my head and then shrinkies around the side cos I thought it would be too fiddly to put the shrinkies around the back but I'm intrigued about gluing the pre-tipped hair into the shrinkie. What do you glue it in with xxxx

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 2:08pm
Thanks for the above tips. On another posting I saw a picture where they were applied in a brick pattern. Any thoughts on that? Also, do you tend to slope down or go straight across with your rows?

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 2:28pm
I tend to go straight across with my rows. I think its a matter of preference x

Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 5:43pm
I was wondering about that, too. I've seen straight rows, brick patterns, and the dip (where the rows sort of curve down in the middle). I wonder if they yield a different look. :)

-------------
http://www.beautyaddictmag.com - www.beautyaddictmag.com

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:07pm
I think it's good to curve around the head (dip between the ears) and curve a bit up in the front. I really believe this makes people look better. These U-shaped sections, tilted a bit up and moving up the back of the head and at the same time up toward the crown. This way you're building weight at the crown, which looks good on everyone.
I also think this helps balance the extensions on the head,which makes them more comfortable.
None of this is essential, it's just that the little things are always the difference between beautiful work and just doing the job.
hope this makes sense.

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:09pm
Oh yeah, you should place your individual strands in brick sections, no matter how you place the rows. This saves your client and her friends from seeing the method of attachment. A brick setting hides the braids or bonds. xxx

-------------

Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:17pm
Thanks, Scotchy. That makes perfect sense.

Just to clarify: I assume everyone means that they should start at least a half-inch or so in from the nape--not at the actual nape. I'm sure everyone here knows this, but someone once asked whether they should be installing on those little nape-neck hairs, and I'm like, "No!!!" :)

-------------
http://www.beautyaddictmag.com - www.beautyaddictmag.com

Date Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:18pm
Thanks for the tips Scotchy, that helps tremendously. I tried, unsuccessfully, to win the bid for a Great Lengths educational manual on ebay...it went really high.
I made a 5 hour drive to Colorado to attend a "training class" (not GL)...I use that term loosely. Basically it was a $1000 lesson on how to operate fusion wand. On an up note...but I did get to bring home a mannequin head, some hair clipies and a plastic template. Whoopy

-------------

Posted By: LuckieDuckies
Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:22am
im sorry i still dont know a lot, what is a brick section?

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:34am
This chick xx

Posted By: adina
Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Scotchyroo Scotchyroo wrote:

Here's your first tip: start at the bottom for god's sake. It's a realy hassle to keep the extension hair out of the way to work lower down the head (hope that makes sense). This way, the hair you've just installed doesn't have to be bundled out of the way of your next row of work.
My only other set in glue suggestion (and i'm super curious to see if people disagree), is not to start too low in the nape. I'd go just below the ears and curve down and around a bit in the back for the first row.
Take your time with the sections. Clean, well placed sections will make your installation go faster and your life with extensions happier and more damage free. best wishes

I agree 100% with what you said.Star with the first row,right below the ears and the last row right above the ears.

-------------

Posted By: LuckieDuckies
Date Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:18am
thanks amanda ;p im a little oblivious most of the time

-------------

Print Page | Close Window