Forum Name: Celebrity Hair Talk
Forum Description: The hair trials and tribulations of Celebrities
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22206
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 10:07pm

Topic: Amy Brenneman
Posted By: Durango
Subject: Amy Brenneman
Date Posted: December 12 2001 at 2:33pm
As had been rumored for several weeks, Ms. Brenneman had even shorter hair in last night`s episode of "Judging Amy." Interestingly, it looked to me as though she got it cut a bit shorter yet while they were filming this episode. In some shots, it appeared to be a couple of inches below chin length in front and slightly longer in back. In others, it was a bob just slightly longer than chin length. Hair style was not mentioned in the story line.

What was really fascinating was the complete lack of any continuity for the different lengths. In one scene, she would have the shorter style and the next, the longer. The best was a single scene (dinner at home) in which it was styled in a curly bob, after being in court earlier with a smooth style. Every woman I know rushes home after work and redoes her hair in a completely different style before fixing dinner.

Durango

-------------
Durango

Replies:
Posted By: andy
Date Posted: December 12 2001 at 8:03pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7683.1 - 3.7683.1
I didn`t see the episode, but can imagine the confusion... TV production types call this a loss of "continuity." It`s actually someone`s job to make sure that stuff like hair is consistent between scenes shot out of order. Maybe he was sick that day, or maybe she`s just changing it so much that he can`t keep up... :-)

So with all those styles, any clear winner?

-------------

Posted By: buzzednapelover
Date Posted: December 12 2001 at 8:42pm
I`ve seen that before (the lack of continuity) in various movies. There will be a scene where an actress will have her bangs brushed to the side for a shot from one camera angle, but combed down in another camera angle (all during one spoken line). Most people won`t notice stuff like this, but someone anal like myself will catch it 90% of the time.

-------------

Posted By: wozziewoo
Date Posted: December 12 2001 at 9:18pm
Yes I reported on this shorter style about two weeks ago. Although then I thought it was a bit shorter then it appeared last night. The "hair continutiny" is nothing new on that show, though. Before, when her hair was longer, it would constantly change with almost every scene. In some scenes it would be curly, some it wouuld be straight, & still others it would be in an updo, all during supposedly the same day of court. Sometimes, her hair would be styled in two different ways, for the same case. I love watching "Judging Amy" I think it is a great show, & I always love wondering how Amy`s hair will appear next. As I stated in an earlier post, her hair has already changed quite a bit this season, first time all series, really, & the season is still quite young. Does anyone think this is it or does Ms. Brenneman have some more hair surprises in store this season?

-------------

Posted By: Rachel A
Date Posted: December 12 2001 at 9:25pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7696.1 - 3.7696.1
i think ur rite ms. brenneman is playing with the idea of going much shorter. i think almost as short as chin length. i think shes just doing it in stages .

-------------
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"

Posted By: jimbo
Date Posted: December 13 2001 at 11:07pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7697.1 - 3.7697.1
Recent pic. It`s longer than chin length

gallery.fansites.com/showpic.asp?FN=12995745-Brenneman_Amy-05.jpg

-------------

Posted By: Gord
Date Posted: December 13 2001 at 11:59pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7709.1 - 3.7709.1
quote:

jimbo originally wrote:
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7697.1 - 3.7697.1
Recent pic. It's longer than chin length

Can she really think she looks better than before? She`s smiling, so she must. Goodness gracious.

-------------

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 7:17am
I bet she can... as do I and lots if not most other posters here. Her longer curly/frizzy look reminds me of the girls in my sons 6th grade class.

-------------

Posted By: ssjockey
Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 10:21am
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7709.1 - 3.7709.1
quote:

jimbo originally wrote:
Recent pic. It's longer than chin length

Dear lord, that "hairstyle" is, um, a little on the hideous side. I`ve seen her short hair look better, but not there.

-------------

Posted By: Durango
Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 1:51pm
In some of the scenes on Dec. 11, her hair was cut just below chin length, definitely shorter than the pic on "Fansites" (which I agree is not the most flattering hairdo she`s ever had). I must also confess to wishing that she would do something with the long curly mop. But be careful what you wish for, you may get it--I thought most of the short, smooth
styles were pretty boring. The best hairdo on the show was the curly bob that appeared in only one scene.

-------------
Durango

Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 3:06pm
It`s also only been one week. Regardless of whether she keeps her hair at this length or changes it again, it will be this way for a little, I`m sure we`ll see more of the curly bob, & also other styles that might work better. Although that picture doesn`t look that great, everyone is entitled to a few bad hair days, remember what everyone said about her at the emmys? Also, I think the camera was a bit to close when it took the photo. As for how her hair will look in the future only time will tell.

-------------

Posted By: Waggy
Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 3:10pm
I think all people who LOVE long hair so much should grow it on themselves.

As to Amy - who can tell from one picture...wags

-------------
Be yourself - unless you suck...wags

Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 3:16pm
another interesting thought also occured to me. Many people have compared "Judging Amy" to the NBC show "Providence" Without listing all the similarities here (I`m sure you can figure them out if you`re familar with both shows) I wanted to note that Melina Kanekarides wanted to cut her hair short after she had her baby, (She was suppose to do this last summer & it would have shown up at the beginning of last season.) but her producers wouldn`t let her after the whole "Felicity" issue. (Are we still on that?) However, it appears that Amy Brenneman didn`t have the same problem. (Although she is one of the show`s executive producers & therefore, can probably do whatever she wants) My question is Has "Judging Amy"`s ratings dropped at all since she cut her hair? Is anyone boycotting the show? yeah, we are talking about it, but that`s nothing new. Just some food for thought.

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 5:20pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7723.1 - 3.7723.1
quote:

wozziewoo originally wrote:
another interesting thought also occured to me. Many people have compared "Judging Amy" to the NBC show "Providence" Without listing all the similarities here (I'm sure you can figure them out if you're familar with both shows) I wanted to note that Melina Kanekarides wanted to cut her hair short after she had her baby, (She was suppose to do this last summer & it would have shown up at the beginning of last season.) but her producers wouldn't let her after the whole "Felicity" issue. (Are we still on that?) However, it appears that Amy Brenneman didn't have the same problem. (Although she is one of the show's executive producers & therefore, can probably do whatever she wants) My question is Has "Judging Amy"'s ratings dropped at all since she cut her hair? Is anyone boycotting the show? yeah, we are talking about it, but that's nothing new. Just some food for thought.

I applaud the producers to keeping her hair the way they like it. It`s their show. And Melina has awesome hair.

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 6:27pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7725.1 - 3.7725.1
Gord, you bring up an interesting point. For a show, like Providence, how much control should the producers have over the appearance of a star?

What would be your opinion if they required Melina to shave her head to simulate having cancer on the show?

Somehow, I don`t think your opinion would be the same then.

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 8:02pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7726.1 - 3.7726.1
quote:

ssjockey originally wrote:
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7725.1 - 3.7725.1
Gord, you bring up an interesting point. For a show, like Providence, how much control should the producers have over the appearance of a star?

What would be your opinion if they required Melina to shave her head to simulate having cancer on the show?

Somehow, I don't think your opinion would be the same then.

I guess it would be up to the actress. It`s been done with skull caps and various levels of makeup. Remember 30-something? Do you believe that a producer should not be able to control the look of its actors? If I really had my way, I`d eliminate all smoking from shows. I know that`s not the topic of this space, but if you really want to influence an audience, don`t worry so much about hair and worry more about setting a good example.

-------------

Posted By: Rachel A
Date Posted: December 14 2001 at 9:31pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7727.1 - 3.7727.1
yeah, i like the smoking part. i totally agree but i`m sure that Ms B. will go shorter. just wait she will have chin length soon.

-------------
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"

Date Posted: December 15 2001 at 1:23am
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7727.1 - 3.7727.1
quote:

Gord originally wrote:
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7726.1 - 3.7726.1
quote:

Somehow, I don't think your opinion would be the same then.

I guess it would be up to the actress. It's been done with skull caps and various levels of makeup. Remember 30-something? Do you believe that a producer should not be able to control the look of its actors? If I really had my way, I'd eliminate all smoking from shows. I know that's not the topic of this space, but if you really want to influence an audience, don't worry so much about hair and worry more about setting a good example.

I agree with your point Gord, that is should be up to the actress, and your point about the wigs. If Melina wants to cut her hair, then she could wear a wig in the show, right?

Anyways, this debate is not nearly as important as setting a good example, there I completely agree with you!

-------------

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: December 17 2001 at 10:15am
How many people actually watch or don`t watch a show based on someones hair?

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2001 at 10:45am
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7737.1 - 3.7737.1
Good point Hal,

I don`t think you can compare the viewers of "Judging Amy" with the viewers of "Felicity". Fans might watch a celebrity because of his or her looks, but if the show is good, they should stick around, no matter what their hair looks like. Many other shows over the years have survived a star changing their appearance. Yes, even "Felicity", which I`m sure loved the free publicity.

I think the viewers of "Judging Amy" watch the show because it is well written and acted, not because Amy Brenneman has long curly hair!

-------------

Posted By: Ononotdon
Date Posted: December 17 2001 at 11:41pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7738.1 - 3.7738.1
quote:

Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP139333248&id=7683&page=1#3.7737.1 - 3.7737.1
Good point Hal,

I don't think you can compare the viewers of "Judging Amy" with the viewers of "Felicity". Fans might watch a celebrity because of his or her looks, but if the show is good, they should stick around, no matter what their hair looks like. Many other shows over the years have survived a star changing their appearance. Yes, even "Felicity", which I'm sure loved the free publicity.

I think the viewers of "Judging Amy" watch the show because it is well written and acted, not because Amy Brenneman has long curly hair!

Well put, ss. I must confess that I`m guilty of what you`ve just described. Initially, I watched "The Simpsons" just because of Marge`s hair. Same goes for "The Flinstones" - Wilma`s flaming red locks and Betty`s short `do (ooolala!). And aside from flashbacks to Marge`s high school days (unruly long blue hair), and Wilma and Betty`s trips to the beaty salon and experiments with various stoneage hair products, their hairstyles remained remarkably consistent. I think that this serves as quite a testimony, and explains these shows` durability. There has never been any ballyhoo surrounding their hairstyles. Wilma and Betty never changed, and it`s doubtful that Marge will any time soon. I`ve remained a loyal viewer because hell, those shows is funny! `nuff said.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window