Forum Name: Celebrity Hair Talk
Forum Description: The hair trials and tribulations of Celebrities
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23305
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 5:19pm

Topic: Radical hair changes in the movies
Posted By: Lyris
Subject: Radical hair changes in the movies
Date Posted: July 29 2003 at 1:55pm
I was watching "G.I. Jane" (unfortunately) last weekend in which Demi Moore famously shaved off her long hair. I guess it's kind of hard to top that one, but what do you think is the biggest hair change featured in a movie?

-------------
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Replies:
Posted By: caramia
Date Posted: July 29 2003 at 4:08pm
Does it have to be an instance where the actress really changed/cut her hair? Or can it be an instance where the character "cuts" or otherwise drastically changes her hair? I can think of 4 movies in which a main character drastically alters her hair... Remember Julia Robert's character Shelby in Steel Magnolia's. She had gorgeous long flowing auburn hair and then the character cut it into a short style which was very unattractive in my opinion and obviously a wig. The 2nd instance I can think of was Charlize Theron's character in The Devil's Advocate. She had hair that was approximately shoulder length and when her character moved to NYC, she got it cut. I think Charlize generally keeps her hair short (which looks wonderful on her - she's so beautiful) and the shoulder length style was probably extensions or hairpieces. The 3rd movie I can think of is The Nun's Story starring Audrey Hepburn in which her character Sister Luke had her lock's sheared at some point in her novitiate (I think that's what they call it when one is becoming a nun). The 4th movie I can think of is Alison Lohman's character (she played the daughter) in White Oleander. She cut her long gorgeous locks herself while in a juvenile center - it was obviously a wig and looked really horrible but that was the character's intent. I'm trying to think of an instance where a male character's hair was changed drastically but I'm stumped at the moment.

Caramia

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: July 29 2003 at 4:27pm
Here are a few off the top of my head:

Audrey Hepburn -- "Roman Holiday" -- Long to short
Kim Novak -- "Vertigo"??? -- Style change/platinum
Mia Farrow -- "Rosemary's Baby" -- Long to short
Jane Seymour -- "Holocaust" -- Bald (cap)
Jamie Lee Curtis -- "Trading Places" -- Long to short (Wig)
Bonnie Bedelia -- "Heart Like a Wheel" -- Chronological style changes
Melanie Griffith -- "Working Girl" -- Long to shorter
Carey Lowell -- "License to Kill" (007) -- Long to short
Cheryl Ladd -- "Millenium" -- Long to short/futuristic
Bess Armstrong -- "My So Called Life" (TV) -- Long to short
Brigitte Fonda -- "Single White Female" -- Long to short
Jennifer Jason Leigh -- "Single White Female" -- Long to short
Joan Chen -- "Temptation of a Monk" -- Long to Bald
Robin Tunney -- "Emprie Records" -- Long to Bald
Demi Moore -- "GI Jane" -- Long to Bald
Keri Russell -- "Felicity" (TV) -- Long to Short
Bai Ling -- "Anna and the King" -- Long to Bald
Christine Taylor -- "Friends" (TV) -- Long to Bald (cap)
Jennifer Lopez -- "Enough" -- Long to short (wig)

I am not sure which is the most radical, but I am sure that I will think of several others in the meantime. My favorite is Mia Farrow's in "Rosemary's Baby."

Posted By: Isla Q.
Date Posted: July 29 2003 at 6:36pm
How about Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina" and Julia Ormond in the remake.

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2003 at 8:56pm
Hello
See:

http://womeninwigs.narod.ru/movies1.htm - http://womeninwigs.narod.ru/movies1.htm

On "Beautiful Joe", Sharon Stone wore several different wigs.

For TV Series: Alias (Jennifer Garner) and "Carita De Angel". On Carita, there is a strange leading character: "Aunt with Wigs".

She have more than a dozen wigs with various style and colors (from purple, green, pink, etc). The actress mentioned that once she have to change her wig 30 times in a single day during the making of the TV series.

Posted By: AggiePam
Date Posted: July 30 2003 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

I was watching "G.I. Jane" (unfortunately) last weekend in which Demi Moore famously shaved off her long hair. I guess it's kind of hard to top that one, but what do you think is the biggest hair change featured in a movie?

Totally off topic:
Lyris, I notice you changed your quote. I lOVE the new quote by the way!! Where did you hear it? OR did you come up with it? I'm writing that down!
Pam

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2003 at 9:14am
Aggie, how I wish I were that witty! I have no idea where I found that quote, so I did a Yahoo search to see who coined it and the first result display was MY HB PROFILE! LOL. So I guess we shall both have to wonder (unless someone else can enlighten us.) I was cleaning out my old computer the other day and found an entire list of great insights, some funny, some very clever, so I'll be using those as well!

Clownboots, whoa, what a list; I congratulate you! I totally forgot about Devil's Advocate. I couldn't believe how different--yet stunning either way--Charlieze looked with just a little cut, color 'n style. And SWF...well, that was just creepy.

-------------
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Posted By: Dick
Date Posted: July 30 2003 at 11:02am
I like so much the radical change of Lori Singer in the movie "The Last Ride" (Also know as F.T.W). She cut her very long blonde hair short and dye it brown.

There's a big list of haircut scenes in movies and books at:

http://www.plazaone.com/rldc/redlite/hairlist.txt - http://www.plazaone.com/rldc/redlite/hairlist.txt

Posted By: MightyH
Date Posted: July 30 2003 at 9:50pm
To add to clownboots list, there was a haircut scene in "Boy Meets World" where Topanga cuts her hair on her own, then has to get it "cleaned up" at the local hair salon...

Posted By: conway28
Date Posted: July 31 2003 at 12:34pm
Has everyone forgotten about Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors. She goes from long shoulder length hair to a short cute bob type cut. Great cut i think,

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2003 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by conway28 conway28 wrote:

Has everyone forgotten about Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors. She goes from long shoulder length hair to a short cute bob type cut. Great cut i think,

And moreover, that movie proved that some people really do NOT look good as dyed brunettes!

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2003 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

Originally posted by conway28 conway28 wrote:

And moreover, that movie proved that some people really do NOT look good as dyed brunettes!

That was Gwens best look ever.

Posted By: ballet dancer
Date Posted: July 31 2003 at 6:11pm
Motocrossed a Disney Channel movie.

They don't show the actually cut, more before and after but its drastic.

Long to short crop.

Posted By: arch94
Date Posted: August 01 2003 at 1:56am
Anyone remember Carla Gugino from son-in-law? Anyone know if that was her real hair or a wig?
What about Haviland Morris from the movie Sixteen Candles? Stuck in a door, and they cut it out for her?
I also recall a clip on the Arsenio Hall show, showing Maria Conchita Alonso cutting her very long hair to a short pixie for the movie predator 2. Anyone got that on tape?
How about Julie Christie gettin her hair cut by warren beatty in that one movie, can't remember the name. Anyone help me on this one? Thanks

-------------
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!

Date Posted: August 01 2003 at 6:05am
Ballet, I saw Alana Austin interviewed for the movie Motocrossed, and they really did cut her hair. I'm surprised they did not include it in the video.
Arch, the movie was " Shampoo ".

Posted By: lev
Date Posted: August 03 2003 at 10:26am
1. Cate Blanchett shaved her head (shoulder lenght hair)- onscreen - in "Heaven"
2. Toni Colette shaved her head (short hair) - onscreen - in "8 1/2 Women"
3. Peta Wilson did a selfcut in "Nikita"
4. Julianne Nicholson buzzed her hair - offscreen -in "The Love Letter"
5. Suzy Amis cut her fantastic long hair - onscreen -- in "The Ballad of Little Jo"

But Demi's shave is undoubtely the most radical.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2003 at 7:37pm
To add another: Geena Davis cut her hair short and dyed it blonde in The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Date Posted: August 04 2003 at 10:27am
Thanks, Clownboots! After see the name of the movie "License to Kill" in your list I decided to watch to the movie to see the transformation of Carey Lowell. In spite of her "before" hair not being exactly long, I was amazed. Carey with her very short hair is something near to the perfection in beauty for me. It's a "must see" for every short hair lover. Wonderful!!!

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2003 at 10:35am
Still about Carey Lowell: I'm happy to see that she keeps her hair very short until today:

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=SRH&str=carey+lowell&styp=&sfld=C&substr=carey+lowell&sortval=4d&PageNum=1 - http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=SRH&str=carey+lowell&styp=&sfld=C&substr=carey+lowell&sortval=4d&PageNum=1

Lucky man, Richard Gere.

-------------

Posted By: Ellestin
Date Posted: August 04 2003 at 10:48am
This topic reminds me of a movie. "Haut les Coeurs" from Islandic director Solveigh Anspach (don't know how it translates), in which French actress Karin Viard has her head shaved at the salon - she's playing the role of a woman struck by cancer. A very moving film, not only because of http://site.voila.fr/ultracourt/hlc/02.jpg - this scene... .

She has very short hair before the cut, but still you can speak of a radical change...

-------------

Posted By: JenniferM
Date Posted: August 09 2003 at 5:45pm
I have the video, F. Scott Fitgerald's "Bernice Bobs Her Hair". Shelley Duvall goes from very long to 1920's short. Has a very interesting twist at the end.

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2003 at 7:03pm
I saw that movie the ending is very good. Whe she bobs her hair they show some of the hair cut, her hair was very long, a bunch of her guy friends and one girl friend went to watch her cut her hair at a barber shop. I don't want to ruin it for people who may like to watch it so I to won't saw what happens in the end.

Date Posted: August 13 2003 at 11:20am
Hi
IIRC Phoebe Cates cut her own hair (long to short,
on screen) on "Drop Dead ...".

On "Water Rats" (Australian TV Series), one of the
policewomen got a cancer and lost all her hair.
because of chemotherapy.
The beautiful actress shaved all her hair for the role.

Posted By: duke
Date Posted: August 13 2003 at 12:54pm
I read the original of "Bernice Bobs her
Hair" way back when I was 15. And I too
won't reveal the ending, it's a bit macabre.

Phoebe Cates looks good with long hair.

In "The Scarlet Pimpernel", attractive
actress Elizabeth McGovern's character,
Lady Blakeney, narrowly escapes going to
the guillotine. Her hair is cut before she
goes (long hair was cut, rather than just
put up, so it wouldn't slow down the blade
or what have you), in a bob that looks all
too professional (when Queen Marie
Antoinette went, her hair was coarsely
hacked off).

Jane Seymour is one of those people who
should just avoid cutting their hair. I'm
glad it was a cap, but the thought of her
bald...yikes.

-------------

Posted By: HeadBoy
Date Posted: August 15 2003 at 4:54pm
In The Sex Pistol's "The Great Rock 'N' Roll Swindle" Cat Woman goes from fairly average looking girl to buzzed across the top with "cat ears" on the sides.

Jean Tripplehorn gets chopped in Waterworld.

There's a movie called FM where a woman goes to her stylist to get a trim and her hairdresser, mid-cut, discovers she's having an affair with his lover. He does a drastic chop to her hair.

I'm sure there's more.

-------------
Peace to all

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: August 16 2003 at 8:15am
FM the was another movie just like that Wendy Tuesday I think that's her name blond hair same set up.Anyone know the film?

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: August 16 2003 at 8:23am
Thank IMDb Tuesday Weld is the actress that get the hair cut the movie was Serial.I have to play that six degree game to get it.So mine other post was wrong.Also Waiting to Exhale I think there was major change in that moive also.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: August 17 2003 at 2:06pm
i cut a girls hair in bourne identity also alyssa milano did a chop in poison ivy

Date Posted: August 17 2003 at 4:53pm
This girl's name is Franka Potente. Not a great makeover, though. So she shaved her head after finishing that movie.

-------------

Date Posted: August 20 2003 at 3:18pm
Good catch on "Serial" rather than "FM."
It was a Martin Mull movie, I was confused.
IMDB is a blessing, isn't it?

Holly Hunter gets a slightly different 'do at the end of "Broadcast News." Nothing major, so it doesn't qualify.

-------------
Peace to all

Date Posted: August 24 2003 at 5:22pm
Do you remember "Up Close and Personal" with Michelle Pfeiffer from 1996? Her makeover is not so drastic but remarkable as a part of the story. She cuts her long blonde hair and becomes brunette with bouffant/helmet do.

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2003 at 4:53pm
Michelle also got a makeover in "Married To The Mob."
Not drastic, but shorter and curlier.

-------------
Peace to all

Posted By: Gord
Date Posted: September 02 2003 at 8:21pm
Has anyone mentioned the drunk girl at the house party in Sixteen Candles (with Molly Ringwald). The victim is a popular blonde who gets her hair stuck in the door. I can't remember if she cut it herself or someone else did it. The end result was a wig, but the cut was drastic and effective.

Posted By: arch94
Date Posted: September 02 2003 at 9:17pm
Good one gord. The girls name was Havilland Morris. She got it stuck in the door, and it was cut free by another girl with a very large pair of shears that made a huge crunching noise. She most recently was on One Life to Live in a bit part as a hospital nurse administrator named Claire. She had a very red chin bob. I think she's already left the show. She was also in Home Alone 3 a few years back. The hair scene was very memorable in that movie, but does anyone else remember the shower scene with her as well? Yowsa!!

-------------
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!

Posted By: princessmonica
Date Posted: September 02 2003 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Gord Gord wrote:

Has anyone mentioned the drunk girl at the house party in Sixteen Candles (with Molly Ringwald). The victim is a popular blonde who gets her hair stuck in the door. I can't remember if she cut it herself or someone else did it. The end result was a wig, but the cut was drastic and effective.

i LOVE that movie! but hello? why didn't they just open the door?

-------------
http://www.msnusers.com/monicasanders - http://www.msnusers.com/monicasanders

Posted By: Ononotdon
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by princessmonica princessmonica wrote:

Her boyfriend, whose name I cannot recall (he looked like a Cory, Taylor, Carson, Zach, et al), locked the door and wouldn't let her in or her hair out.

-------------

Posted By: princessmonica
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Ononotdon Ononotdon wrote:

Originally posted by princessmonica princessmonica wrote:

Her boyfriend, whose name I cannot recall (he looked like a Cory, Taylor, Carson, Zach, et al), locked the door and wouldn't let her in or her hair out.

his name was ''jake'' if i remember correctly. i would at least try to tell him my hair is stuck in the door. she didn't. she told her friends she was stuck. the problem with me and some movies is i think to logically some parts of movies your not suppose to notice

-------------
http://www.msnusers.com/monicasanders - http://www.msnusers.com/monicasanders

Date Posted: February 10 2005 at 6:11am
Christine Taylor (Ben Stiller's Wife) hairstyle on "Friends":

http://members.tripod.com/~llwyd/willing/friends.htm - http://members.tripod.com/~llwyd/willing/friends.htm

There is a hairstyle continuity problem on "Wizard of Oz"
(see general discussion).

Is there any other hairstyle continuity problems in Movie / TV Series?

Print Page | Close Window