Print Page | Close Window

Multi-colored hair disaster

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Bloopers
Forum Description: Share your hair horror stories...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=24789
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 4:49am

Topic: Multi-colored hair disaster
Posted By: sevenyearbecky
Subject: Multi-colored hair disaster
Date Posted: July 23 2001 at 1:19am
Last week my hair was my natural color, dark brown, with some remnants of year-old blonde streaks, not too garish or noticable. Also my hair is long.
I got the brilliant idea to go red (Clairol Hydrience intense true red 2RR) with blonde streaks (I was hoping for something daring, my old blonde streaks had been a vehicle for getting green streaks into my hair - it looked great :o) but now at my job I have to have "natural"-color hair, so I figured a couple natural colors would be OK.
So, brilliantly, I read up on hair dying and plunged in, promptly forgetting all I had read. I wasn`t careful enough to separate the two clors (I was doing the red and Clairol Born Blonde simultaneously) and well, red + yellow = orange. Then I panicked and grabbed some black Manic Panic I had lying around, immediately applied the stuff. Immediate slime green. Quick couple of shampoos, and the green is on the down low. Some colored styling pomade and I am decent to go out in public and to work, but well, I am hoping for a solution. Blonde, orange, and reddish brown are NOT my colors, not to mention green. I have pinkish skin and blue eyes. Warm makeup helps balance things out, but I feel an overwhelming sense of ickiness and I promised my boss I`d figure something out and fix my freaky hair in a couple of weeks.
Any suggestions? I can tolerate a lot (obviously), and I could go black, dark brown, or what have you, I will try anything, but can ABSOLUTELY not afford a salon, I have a kid and make just above minimum wage.
By the way, I called Clairol`s 800 number and the dude suggested some "filler" - 4 to 5 boxes of a particular shade of blonde color only no activator, and then 20 minutes later 2 boxes of medium golden brown + activator. This seems like the most sane choice, though he said my old highlights were almost guaranteed to look funky. But I don`t want to be medium golden brown, it sounds a bit too light and a bit too golden, and will I end up with red, orange, brown, or blonde hair (better than green I guess), I forgot to ask - oops. Guess the chemicals got to my head! Haha. Any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate!
Don`t do what I did - I didn`t separate the two colors well enough. I did the hair close the scalp first (it WAS darker when I satrted out), but it still cooked faster due to the heat of my head. I did test strands, and I think it would have looked nice had I not made these two mistakes. I got lazy fast and had I had someone helping me (someone else did my green streaks last year), everything would have been OK I think.

Replies:
Posted By: ssjockey
Date Posted: July 24 2001 at 12:19am
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP585798634&id=1080&page=1#7.1080.1 - 7.1080.1
Two suggestions, first, try going to a high-profile hair school, like the Vidal Sassoon Academy. The work is done by students, supervised by very experienced staff. They might find a case like yours a great teaching opportunity to show the students how to fix a "blooper", and you might get great services for free, or a very nominal fee. At the very least, they could give you suggestions. Aside from that, I would suggest to dye your hair black, and leave it alone for a while. When the black grows out enough, say in 5 to 6 months, cut off all the damage, and start over! Look at the bright side, your hair will grow back!

-------------

Posted By: lgp82
Date Posted: July 27 2001 at 7:58pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP585798634&id=1080&page=1#7.1081.1 - 7.1081.1
I would get a semi per. color, dark golden brown. The red tones in this color will tone down the green. If you don`t like it it should wash out in about 25 washings, depending on how damaged your hair is.
What is your natural color? Do you have a K-mart ( the one near me has a hair salon) or a cheap salon like that near by? It might be cheaper to have them fix it then to do what the 800 guy suggested. If you do what he sayes you`ll have to spend 6 $ a box times 5 ( you said you needed 5 toners right?) that would be 30 $ then 6 more for the color and developer that would be 36$ plus the tax. You`ll probably need a trim too, so I would call around to see what prices are.

-------------
~*~*Lisa*~*~