Print Page | Close Window

my hair is orange! help!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Bloopers
Forum Description: Share your hair horror stories...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=24869
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 11:49pm

Topic: my hair is orange! help!
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: my hair is orange! help!
Date Posted: January 24 2002 at 8:49pm
help me please!! I usually have my med. to light brown hair highlighted. For the past three years I have been growing my hair long, it is now down past my bra straps, and have been waiting to become a blonde bombshell...I have going to the same fabulous colorist for the past five years...but my dream of being a beautiful blonde turned to horror when I looked in the mirror and found that although my hair was lighter, it is a gold and orange color. It looks like a cheap home bleach job gone bad...the problem is the colorist thinks that it looks great and that I "just need to get used to the drastic change". What can I do? I don`t know if I can trust him to do corrective color, but I don`t want to have to search for another colorist and stylist after all these years....does anyone know of a great colorist I can trust in Florida? Also, what should I have done to my hair to become that blonde bombshell?

Replies:
Posted By: Merlin
Date Posted: January 25 2002 at 7:03am
Orange hair happens often enough that Clairol put the solution to the problem on their professional colorist web site:

Recommend a soft neutral Level 6-Dark Blonde color using a gentle, nonammonia product like Complements Long-Lasting Semi-Permanent True Tone Gel Color. By combining neutral and blue/violet Complements shades, the formula will help neutralize the gold-orange base. Here`s how:

1. Mix the following formula in a bottle or bowl:
1-1/2 oz. Complements Semi-Permanent Gel Color 6N-S Dark Natural Blonde
1/2 oz. Complements Semi-Permanent Gel Color 6A-S Dark Ash Blonde
2 oz. Complements Color Prompter

2. Because of this client`s extreme hair porosity, apply the formula to damp hair, first at the scalp and 1-inch out, then down the shaft to the ends.

3. Strand-test to determine timing, checking every 5 minutes up to 15 minutes.

4. When desired results are achieved, rinse, shampoo and condition.

This is not extremely complex but should be done by someone with experience. I`m sorry I can`t help you locate someone in Florida. Perhaps a friend of coworker can recommend a good colorist.

One other piece of information, for what it`s worth, I have heard that washing several times with Prell really cuts down on the orange. I haven`t tried it myself but been told it works. Certainly worth a try.

Good luck! ;)

-------------
Merlin