Print Page | Close Window

red hair nightmare

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Bloopers
Forum Description: Share your hair horror stories...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25109
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 9:19pm

Topic: red hair nightmare
Posted By: akasara
Subject: red hair nightmare
Date Posted: October 11 2004 at 4:58pm
---------------
About 5 months ago, I went to get light brown highlights and agreed to let the hairdresser do whatever he wanted, my only request was NO RED.

Seems he dyed my naturally dark brown hair a dark AUBURN, then put in streaks which turned out RED. (i think he used bleach, because the hair seems damaged.). I called but he was no longer with the salon. I did some temporary ash browns to hide it, but my hair still stays RED, but turned a very DARK RED, which looks pretty bad too.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the red without going any darker. My goal is to have light brown hair / dark blonde hair. Can It just be dyed a permanent light brown? would that work?

I think I am going into a depression over this... I hate looking at my hair and can't believe I am so sad. help.

Replies:
Posted By: KB
Date Posted: October 12 2004 at 10:22am
I'm sorry to hear that you are depressed. But if it helps, the hair problem you are having can be fixed. It just needs to be done by a skilled, competent colorist. That being said, maybe you can ask friends or coworkers for recommendations. If you see somebody who has a haircolor that you think looks great, ask them where they have it done. That is the single best way to find a new stylist and I can't emphasize that enough. I'm sure you already know all this - but I felt it was important to say it anyway. Now, as far as the red goes - red is a tough color to remove from the hair. That doesn't mean it can't be done. But just applying another permanent color over the color you have now will not do it. Color does not lift color. To achieve a light brown/dark blonde from where you are now, I would say that the colorist will most likely need to bleach the red out and then tone to whatever shade you desire. That's why I said take your time and find a colorist that is good at what he or she does.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Posted By: akasara
Date Posted: October 12 2004 at 8:29pm
KB, thanks for the advice... The guy who gave me the red color, put permanent dye on all my hair, then streaked bleach through it, which turned it red.

Can another stylist put bleach on it again? will that make my hair break off? or can highlights be put over the hair that was bleached?

Any idea?

thanks.

Posted By: korsakovhatt3
Date Posted: October 15 2004 at 7:37pm
I think you'd be better off getting a stylist to remove the permanent colour with a colour remover. It's less damaging than bleach.

-------------
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: October 17 2004 at 3:28am
Red hair is beautiful!!!
Just look at me , Elmo and Carrot top!

Posted By: KB
Date Posted: October 18 2004 at 10:46am
Originally posted by akasara akasara wrote:

KB, thanks for the advice... The guy who gave me the red color, put permanent dye on all my hair, then streaked bleach through it, which turned it red.

Can another stylist put bleach on it again? will that make my hair break off? or can highlights be put over the hair that was bleached?

Any idea?

thanks.

Geez, it's hard to say. Bleach can be pretty damaging. I'd really go talk to a new colorist. Find the best one you possibly can. He or she can answer your questions better than I could. Good luck.

Print Page | Close Window