Print Page | Close Window

Need help controlling my thick curly hair!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Curly Hair Talk
Forum Name: Curly Hair
Forum Description: Curly Heads Unite & Talk About Curls
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25489
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 3:18pm

Topic: Need help controlling my thick curly hair!
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Need help controlling my thick curly hair!
Date Posted: February 15 2002 at 5:23pm
My hair is very difficult to control, and I`ve tried so many products, but they dont work and most of the time, just dry out my hair. My hair is about an inch below my shoulder when curly, but when it`s straightened its about 5 inches below my shoulder. I have ALOT of VERY thick hair, with a really oily scalp, and the rest is a little dry. I love it, it`s just hard to control. What products do you reccomend? I`m sick of wearing my hair in a pony tail all the time, I would wear it out more often if it didn`t get so puffy. By the way, John Freida Hair Serum worked, but really dried out my hair! I don`t reccomend it for other curlyheads, it contains way to much silicon.

Replies:
Posted By: shorty3579
Date Posted: February 15 2002 at 10:13pm
hi yesenia. instead of using reg styling products, how about trying some aloe vera gel? its very moisturizing and it contains no weird hair destroying chemicals! i would also recommend sticking to gels in general as they contain more water than mousse, which is what curl hair needs. i think all curlyheads should deep condition about 1-2 times a month. ive heard good reviews about aussie 3 minute miracle. for best results, distribute thru hair and then wrap a warm moist towel around your hair so the conditioner can really seep in. smart girl you are to realize what frizz ease does to the hair! some good styling products are: Rusk wired (a good gel), redken Outshine (a smoother; flyaway and frizz controller) and John Frieda Funky Chunky Sheer Veneer Texturizer (curl/texture enhanser). you could probably still even use the serum. the thing about the john frieda products or any product formulated to tame frizz is the silicon content. its what makes them bad and good at the same time. good b/c they control that frizz and smooth down that cuticle layer of hair, but bad b/c it stays on the hair and builds up, thus creating a barrier between the strand and any potential moisture that might want to come thru. as a result you get dry, weak hair. to remove build up, i recommend a clarifying shampoo. i know just about every company makes one. just make sure its not too strong as to damage the hair. if u want to, mix ur reg shampoo and baking soda together, equal amounts. itll clean off the hair nicely. speaking of shampoos , a curlygals best bets would be aussie moist or redken all soft (which i use and cherish!lol). conditioners=biolage conditioning balm or redken all soft conditioner (which i also use and cherish as well!) i hope this helps. sry if it was long winded! plz write back with any more q`s!
love,
penny

-------------

Posted By: PinkPoodle
Date Posted: February 16 2002 at 10:53am
i have a friend who has hair like yours: big, curly and out of control. One day she came into school with her hair down (which she NEVER does because it gets all over the place) and it looked really good. She told me that she went to this salon, Ouidad, which is just for people with curly hair. They gave her special products to put on her hair, which controlled, yet didn`t make it look greasy. I saw someone talking about Ouidad on this site earlier, so maybe they sell their products here? Anyway, I hope this helps.

-------------
Kate

Hair: It can make you happy, it can make you sad, but mostly it just allows you to spend some quality time with your mirror. :-)

Posted By: shorty3579
Date Posted: February 16 2002 at 2:22pm
good idea pink poodle. you can even order their products online, yesnisa. (www.ouidad.com). however, ouidad herself is no longer taking any more clients than she already has. you can try and get an appointment with one of her personally trained stylists tho. and this is all assuming you live by one of their salons.if you dont, just find a good stylist and stick to a blunt cut.
love, penny

-------------

Posted By: Rose
Date Posted: March 11 2002 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Yesenia Yesenia wrote:

My hair is very difficult to control, and I've tried so many products, but they dont work and most of the time, just dry out my hair. My hair is about an inch below my shoulder when curly, but when it's straightened its about 5 inches below my shoulder. I have ALOT of VERY thick hair, with a really oily scalp, and the rest is a little dry. I love it, it's just hard to control. What products do you reccomend? I'm sick of wearing my hair in a pony tail all the time, I would wear it out more often if it didn't get so puffy. By the way, John Freida Hair Serum worked, but really dried out my hair! I don't reccomend it for other curlyheads, it contains way to much silicon.

I have very curly hair also and I put color on mind to control it. This really works. Go to a salon that has REKEN it is the best.

-------------
Rose

Posted By: SnowWhite
Date Posted: March 11 2002 at 7:15pm
I use Suave Professionals Humectant and use the conditioner as a leave in. It works really well to help dry hair.

I`ve gotten lots of ideas off of www.naturallycurly.com too.

-------------
?/35.5/ tailbone
curly hair
<><