Forum Name: Curly Hair
Forum Description: Curly Heads Unite & Talk About Curls
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25911
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 3:18pm

Topic: wavy hair hell-p needed.
Posted By: tigerlillie701
Subject: wavy hair hell-p needed.
Date Posted: June 21 2004 at 3:17pm
I really hate my hair...but I am trying to accept it as it is and work with it, but it's hard..

My hair was curly as a child, but as an adult... it dries sorta wavy, but more fuzzy and frizzy. My hair is a fine texture, not very strong. It looks life-less and dull and has NO natural shine. It always looks messy so I wear it up most of the time.

One stylist described it as " a lazy wave".

I've tried so many products and would love any suggestions... is there a way to make my waves more defined or bring out some curl? Maybe i just don't know how to style it or maybe I am using the wrong products (i use a leave in conditioner).

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: frizzygurl
Date Posted: June 22 2004 at 2:10pm
Hi tigerlillie! i have very fine textured spiral curls, although in the back it's a it more relaxed. it's often hard to know just what to do with fine hair because you don't want to weigh it down too much but you don't want to have "crazy" hair, either. *sigh* What a fine line. . .

I use John Frieda's Frizz-Ease Wind Down relaxing Cream to banish the frizzies and then use a gel (by Tresseme) to define my curls. Curly and wavy hair has a tendency to look dull; because the cuticle is not flat, light doesn't reflect off of it like it does straight hair. The right hair products will keep your hair healthy and promote shine.

Is your scalp oily or dry? Do you blowdry your hair? Do you wash every day? What kind of Shampoo and Conditioner do you use? Do you deep condition? How often? Also, do you color your hair? Answers to these questions will help to determine if you possibly need to change up your routine.

-------------
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length

Date Posted: June 23 2004 at 12:08am
Hi Frizzy.
In response to your questions, My scalp is dry and I rarely blow dry my hair. I wash it about 2x a week. (I don't rinse inbetween-is this bad). I did do highlights and then got my hair dyed... I think it may have been too much for my hair. Also, the guy who washed my hair...was very rough when drying it with the towel.. He was rubbing my hair back and forth in the towel and pulling really hard, He did this for a while.. (don't know why I just sat there like a complete idiot and didn't stop the lunatic).. Could he have screwed up the texture of my hair permanently? I know it caused a lot of breakage throughout because I have all these shorter bits that stick out.

For shampoo I've been using shampure & biolage and for a conditioner I've been using Redken Clear Moisture. After washing, I put a leave in conditioner (nexxus headress) in my hair.. which seems to weigh the fluff down a bit. Can you suggest a good deep conditioner? I have not been doing that.

Thanks for your other suggestions... I will try those products.
If you have any other thoughts, please send them my way!

IP Logged | Report Thread

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2004 at 8:30am
Know how it is to have really dry hair. Looks worse when your hair is curly, huh?! i color my hair and i think it helps calm my hair but i do have to be very careful with dryness and make a special effort to deep condition.

That's horrible, I don't think the idiot could have permanately damaged your hair texture, but it sounds like he did damage it enough. Kudos for not washing everyday; i try and go as far between washes as i can, no rinsing in-between. Can do 3 to 4 days.

i myself love Biolage and Artec products. A friend of mine sells Aveda products and they make a great deep conditioner called "Aveda Curressence Damage Relief Conditioner". A bit expensive but worth it. Great to use once a week, especially if your hair is really damaged, will help you get back on track.

Also, wanted to mention a couple of other products you might want to look into. Redken makes a line called "All Soft" i have used and really does work. Also, Artec has a line "Kiwi Coloreflector" made especially for colored hair. Really helps bring out the shine in your hair. One more, Redken makes a line called "Anti-Snap". Never used it myself but have read a lot of good things on the boards.

Number one priority should be to find a stylist that knows what he/she is doing with curly hair. These are few and far between. A great cut will make all the difference in dealing with your hair. My hair has been as long as my waist and as short as only 3 inches long and the cut is the key. if he/she seems intimidated by your hair, don't stay to find out what happens. it won't be pretty! Next time you see a woman with beautiful curls, just ask who her stylist is. You'll get a name of a great stylist and she'll be flattered.

Don't be afraid to use more than one styling product on your hair at a time. You may need a cream and a gel or wax and gel, only experimenting will tell ya'. And never use any product on your hair that has alcohol as an ingredient. Not even hairspray; this will only promote frizzies.

I hope my rambling helps and good luck on the road to lovin' your hair! And keep us updated!

-------------
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length

Date Posted: June 23 2004 at 12:17pm
I am not going to give up.. I'm going to try out some of your suggestions... Thanks for the support...

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2004 at 2:53pm

-------------

Print Page | Close Window