Forum Name: Curly Hair
Forum Description: Curly Heads Unite & Talk About Curls
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25956
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 3:15pm

Topic: Chlorine and Perms
Posted By: SiriusGrrl
Subject: Chlorine and Perms
Date Posted: August 28 2004 at 9:57am
Sorry if this concern was in a previous thread.

I was wondering if chlorine/other pool chemicals has any kind of reaction to a perm. That's really all. Thanks.

-Lori

Replies:
Date Posted: August 29 2004 at 9:29am
Anyone?

Posted By: ashlee18
Date Posted: August 29 2004 at 12:36pm
I was in chlorine about a week after I had my hair permed and nothing happened. I just recommend giving it a week or so after you get the perm.

-------------
~Ashlee

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: August 29 2004 at 2:52pm
Yeah, when I had a perm, I swam and chlorine didn't bother it. Just use good products and condition and it should be OK.

Did yours relax? I remember you asking when they would.

Date Posted: August 30 2004 at 10:11am
Yeah it definately relaxed. Sometimes i think that it relaxed a little too much. My hair is on the border from a curl and a wave. I like it tho. I'll try to get some pics soon.

Thanks for the replys!

Posted By: Merlin
Date Posted: August 31 2004 at 10:29am
Chlorine water can damage permed hair because the perm leaves it vulnerable to attack. Chlorine bonds to the outer hair shaft and leaves hair brittle, dry and straw-like. This condition often leaves hair unmanageable and prone to breakage and split ends.

Many people think that it is the chlorine in a pool that turns light colored hair green. Actually, the heavy metals, such as copper, found in pool water are what turns light colored hair greenish. Since the outer hair shaft may be open and damaged from exposure to chlorine, this allows the heavy metals to get into the hair shaft and turn hair that green color.

Also, chlorine is a lifting agent and will lighten your hair color.

It is always an excellent idea to quickly get the chlorine out of your hair.

-------------
Merlin

Print Page | Close Window