Forum Name: Curly Hair
Forum Description: Curly Heads Unite & Talk About Curls
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26004
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 3:20pm

Topic: headlice
Posted By: anita
Subject: headlice
Date Posted: November 12 2004 at 11:37am
hi i dont no if anyone can help me my daughter has realy curly hair and gets alot of haed lice from school ive got out all the headlice how do i get rid of the eggs if anyone can help i would be very gratfull thanks anita

-------------
hi

Replies:
Posted By: shirley curly
Date Posted: December 11 2004 at 6:22pm
i had that in like the forth grade u might want to try a special shampoo that i think u can buy at a grocery store

tell me if u find anything

-------------

Posted By: grad2007
Date Posted: December 30 2004 at 1:54pm
i had lice when i was in 5th grade. i had and still have the most curly hair ever. what i had to do was use the rid-lice shampoo jus tto get rid of the actually lice. but i also noticed that it didn't get rid of the eggs. so my mother had to apply that shampoo again and sit on our back porch for like 3 hours and comb out every strand of hair getting rid of everything. it worked and never came back. the shampooing kit should come with the comb. the bristles are really close together and don't miss a thing. i know its time consuming but its worth it. i hope it helps. and tell your daughter not to worry bc it will go away even if it looks imposible. i remember i cried every night bc it got to the point where they were just gonna cut of my hair *tear. i couldn't let that happen. oh yea, also try applying olive oil or any oil for that matter to her head before shampooing because it doesn't allow them to get any oxygen. once again, i hope it helps!

Posted By: cmesweet
Date Posted: December 31 2004 at 10:51am
how do the eggs look are they visible?

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 3:58pm
I read somewhere on this site that mayo on the hair overnight over night works well. How long have you been fighting this for? A haircut might be the solution? Could the hair be worn in a bun to school to help avoid them in the future?

Posted By: jill jr
Date Posted: January 18 2005 at 11:07am
buy lice egg remover and a metal comb for eggs my daughter has long curly hair and she got lice before it took me hours yo do but they never came back also call the school and tell them to check the students hair in her class and on the bus and if they wont tell them you''''ll come and do it and call the board of education. good luck

Posted By: mitch5150
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 2:42pm

Hi anita.

I'm mitch5150 I've been a haircutter/hairstylist since 1993 and I've delt with head lice before especially where I come form I'm orginally from New york city and one of the elementary schools called me to tell me about the problem there having with head lice with many of the children. To make a long story short, 20 to 30 children had head lice and I went to the school and set up a hair station in the nurses office and washed all of these childrens hair with a special shampoo that killed all of the head lice. boys hair was the easiest to work with. but girls that have long hairwere a little harder to work with. Here is what you have to do. Go to your childrens physican and get the name of the shampoo used to kill lice I don't remember the name of the product I used. Shampoo your daughters working the shampoo into her hair for about 10minutes try not to make alot of tangles and knots in the hair after working the shampoo into the hair take a wide tooth comb and comb out your daughters hair until nothing comes out of her hair shampoo will still be in her hair then rinse out her hair and comb out her hair again. Get a metal comb this process takes a little while (you might want to sit your daughter in front of the tv while you do this process)this process will take alittle longer if she has long hair. Take a regular wide tooth comband comb all of her hair up and forward over her head exposing her  neck (this is what takes a while) Take little sections starting from the bottom of her neckline and with the metal comb, comb out each section removing the head lice eggs. Make sure when you comb out each section the comb must touch the scalp when combing out the hait but don't scratch the scalp be gental and take your time.The shampoo removes some of the eggs but not all of them this process makes sure all the eggs are removed. When finished combing out her hair, shampoo her hair again with the lice shampoo. Rinse the shampoo out very well comb out her hair once again this is where you examine her hair comb out her hair in sections your checking to see if missed any lice eggs. If any eggs were missed use the metal comb again and repeat the process. If all is gone dry and style her hair. The next day wash her hair with regular shampoo and put conditioner in it dry and style her hair. If this process doesn't work the only other alternative is to cut her hair and I think you would rather avoid cutting her hair. I have to teenage daughters with long hair to there waist and both of them had head lice one is 14years and the other is 16years. My oldest daughters hair was so bad that the shampoo wasn't killing all the lice and half of her hair had to be cut above the middle of her back. It's easier to work with the hair when it's much shorter. She had no choice after cutting her hair I did the lice process again and this time I killed all the lice. Make sure you take your time in doing this process and be very through. If you have any questions you would like to ask me feel free to email me at mailto:customonegtr@rock.com - customonegtr@rock.com I'll be glad to help you out in any way I can.

Sincerely

Mitch5150

Print Page | Close Window