Forum Name: Up, Down & Formal Hairstyles
Forum Description: Special hairstyles for special events
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26309
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 3:02am

Topic: Can someone tell me how?
Posted By: Amanda
Subject: Can someone tell me how?
Date Posted: July 06 2003 at 4:49pm
hiya peoples does anyone know how to do this hairstyle? its at http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip3504.htm - http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip3504.htm and i wanna know how to do the 1st one can anyone help??

Replies:
Posted By: cait
Date Posted: July 07 2003 at 11:41am
If you want a stylist to do your hair like this for a special event, I'm sure that s/he will be able to work out how to put your hair up like this from the picture. If you're doing your hair yourself, I would suggest making a few changes, simply because it's more difficult to do it right with only one pair of hands. Here is my take on the style:

Wash your hair 12-24 hours before you want to create the style. When you are washing your hair, make an off-centre or side parting and blow dry.

Pull your hair back into a mid to high ponytail without disturbing the parting. If you have bangs, then you can let them fall away from the ponytail. You can leave them straight or curl them if you like.

Make sure the ponytail is quite secure. Depending on your hair, you may like to use an extra hair tie.

Take a section of hair and twist it around your finger until it knots. If you have quite long hair, I'm afraid your arms may get quite tired during the course of putting together this style! Bear in mind, the tighter the knot is, the more secure it will be. You can twist the entire section or leave the ends free. If you twist the entire section, it will be more formal, if you choose to leave some of the ends free, you can create quite a funky look. When the hair knots quite tightly, slip your finger out and pin securely with a couple of kirby grips/bobby pins.

Take another section of hair and repeat the process. Keep going until you have a 'nest' of twists on your head. You can vary the amount of hair you gather each time to change the thickness of the pinned curl - it's up to you what look you're going for. When you're done, finish off with a light mist of hairspray.

My version of the hairstyle featured in the article will be quite secure and if done carefully, should not leave you with a 'bobby pin headache'. You can of course soften the style by not tying your hair back into a ponytail before twisting your hair, but this will be somewhat less secure. Same goes for how tightly you twist your hair - the looser, the softer, but also the more likely to come out.

This is quite an ornate look and does not require any hair accessories, but you could try a light mist of glitter spray if you like.

All the changes suggested throughout this post really depend on what the ocassion is!

Hope that helps,
Cait x

Print Page | Close Window