Print Page | Close Window

Relaxer to permanent waves?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26416
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 2:26am

Topic: Relaxer to permanent waves?
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Relaxer to permanent waves?
Date Posted: August 15 2000 at 10:42am
It's been 10 weeks since my last touch-up for a relaxer. I'm interested in a new look and I don't like spending time fussing with my hair. I'm thinking about getting a permanent wave or something similar that will make long lasting curls. I was wondering how much time would have to pass in order to safely make the transition.

Replies:
Posted By: forest
Date Posted: August 19 2000 at 9:36pm
Hi Brown Eyes:

If you are using a sodium hydroxide or white creamy type relaxer you must be careful about the next type of product you put on your hair. You don't mention how long your hair is but usually once you relax with the sodium type of relaxer in order to get a curlier look using a thio type product you have to cut the old relaxer off. The reason for this is because each type of product breaks different bonds in the hair and if you try using one over the other you might break off all your hair. Another problems that might happen is that when you rod your hair to get a curlier look, the hair that has been relaxed will still end of straight. I know this is depressing news but be very careful if you try to make the transition. Like I said the safest way would be to cut off the old relaxer and start out fresh. Forest

-------------