Print Page | Close Window

any info. on life after a vigorol ???

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26522
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 10:52pm

Topic: any info. on life after a vigorol ???
Posted By: onesexydeva
Subject: any info. on life after a vigorol ???
Date Posted: July 18 2001 at 6:30pm
I used a vigorol liquid relaxer. Now that I know it contains a chemical called Ammonium Thioglycolate, not the same as your types of chemicals found in our usual perms,no- lye or lye. I was wearing my hair short and wash & wear, now I wanted to go back to straight with those lye and no-lye perms. I have been told "dont do it, because I risk hair damage, due to the diffrent chemicals in the two types of relaxers" I have been told by my own stylist " I can go to a regular relaxer now, because when I did do the vigorol, it did not damage my hair " and last I recieved some infor. that if I used a product called " Pro- Design " mixed with my relaxer, which is supose to stop any damage, by treating with protiens and the things our hair needs . I can go to the traditional relaxers safely.However I can`t find that stuff in stores. Someone , anyone if you have any knowledge on the subject please share with me. Otherwise, I have been told I will just have to let my hair grow out and start fresh, after cutting where the vigorol was at off.

Help !!!!!!!

-------------
onesexydeva

Replies:
Posted By: Shevette
Date Posted: July 19 2001 at 11:16pm
I can only tell you my experience. Many years ago I decided to go from a relaxer to Wave Nouveau (thio product). The stylist put the straightening part of the WN on my new growth and the back broke off really bad - I got a haircut to hide the damage. After 2 yrs, I tired of the WN and went back to a relaxer. My hair did not fall out, though I don`t remember if the relaxer was applied to all or new growth only. My take is its more damaging to go from relaxer to thio. I say let your hair grow out some & try it on the new growth. If it breaks off, then cut it. :)

Since thio is a milder chemical (lower pH so less stressing to the hair), can`t you just continue using it & blowdry straight? At least you`d have the option to go wash & wear.

Also, I don`t buy mixing something with the relaxer will reduce damage b/c of proteins, etc. It may reduce teh damage since now you`ve got a mixture, but relaxers do some type of damage regardless.

-------------