Forum Name: Pregnancy Hair & Beauty Tips
Forum Description: Having a baby doesn't mean you can't still be beautiful
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28200
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 8:15pm

Topic: Chi Hair Straitening during pregnancy
Posted By: Trish
Subject: Chi Hair Straitening during pregnancy
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 8:19am
Does anyone know if it is safe to use the Chi hair straigtening system while you're pregnant? I had been using the system prior to my pregnancy and would like to continue.

Replies:
Posted By: Merlin
Date Posted: March 25 2004 at 12:55pm
Here is what Leslie Correa owner of Manhattan's Capelli D'Oro Salon & Day Spa recommends:

During the pregnancy and two-three months following the termination of pregnancy, colors do not last. TR and permanent hair straightening do not take well and may have early reversion. This may be due to hormonal changes in your body.

Typically, pregnant women's hormones fluctuate quite a bit during pregnancy and don't normalize until after nursing is completed. No doctor or manufacturer has any specific evidence on how this affects the body or the fetus. But hairdressers have experienced adverse effects of the process not taking properly on pregnant woman. My advice is against trying to chemically straighten the hair until after nursing. TR is a timel consuming process and there aren't many breaks in between.

Perhaps the best suggestion is to check with your doctor and err on the side of caution.

Good luck! ;-)

-------------
Merlin

Posted By: Elissa
Date Posted: March 27 2004 at 8:37am
My doctor, and just about all of the current literature on the topic says that hair coloring is just fine throughout pregnancy these days. The products we use today are not the toxic products of our mothers' and grandmas' day. I have been coloring throughout my pregnancy (I'm beginning the 7th month) and I feel just fine with that.

I don't know anything about straightening products, so I cannot comment on them.

If I were not dealing with horrible grey roots, it's possible that I wouldn't bother with coloring during pregnancy (it's a hassle, and an even bigger hassle when you're pg, as is everything!). But alas, my sides are almost 100% grey (think Paulie Walnuts of the Sopranos). So I do it.

This is one of those decisions that we each have to make for ourselves.

-------------
[/url]
http://lilypie.com">

Print Page | Close Window