Print Page | Close Window

Professional image with long hair

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28923
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 8:36am

Topic: Professional image with long hair
Posted By: Lhhusker
Subject: Professional image with long hair
Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:47pm
Greetings! I’ve posted here before, but not for a long
time. I’ve recently rediscovered this site, and I’ve
been “lurking” for awhile. In any case, I now need
some advice. First, some background - I’m a 30 year
old guy with shoulder blade length hair (and
growing).

My question is this – Is it possible to maintain a
professional image with long hair, without having to
tie it in a ponytail? I’ll be starting a new job soon, and
I want to create some positive first impressions with
my clients and coworkers.

Most advice I’ve seen has indicated it should be tied
back. But for several reasons, I prefer it loose. It’s
more comfortable, it’s easier (for me), and I think it
just looks better. I keep it clean, well-groomed, and
neatly trimmed. I should mention that I wore it loose
when I interviewed for the job, and it must not have
been an issue, since I got the offer. Also, since I’ll
mostly be working in an office (I’m a graphic
designer), it doesn’t get in the way of my work.

If I can wear it loose, for how long? I plan on growing
it longer, maybe even waist length. Is there a point
where I should tie it back, regardless of my
preference?

A side note – I almost cut it short before the
interview, and am very glad I didn’t. I had done that
once before, and it didn’t make the difference. I just
decided that if they like the rest of my presentation,
then hair length shouldn’t matter, and if it does, then
I don’t want to work there anyway.

Thanks for your advice!

Replies:
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 4:23pm

Welcome back LHHusker & congrats on your new job.  Sounds awesome.  I hope you will be coming back to visit us on a regular basis.

As far as your questions about your hair......

Whether men can do well w/long hair in business depends on their geographical location (it tends to be more conservative in some parts of the country than others and it is more conversative in some parts of the world and not others), type of career and general climate of the prospective employer.

As an example.....I own two companies.  One is HairBoutique.com where we have little physical dealings with the public other than via phone and email.  Therefore the guys that work here wear shorts & Ts, some have long hair, some spikes & some shaved heads.  I don't care what they wear or how they look as long as they get their jobs done & they don't have direct dealings w/the customers.  They need to be neat & clean, on time & do their jobs and they could come to work in ripped jeans for all I care.  :-)

My other company is a hard core telecom related software company.  Our clients include several large Japanese companies.  All of the guys at the software company have super short hair, no facial hair, wear conservative Docker type outfits and always look business dressy/casual.  This is because our software customers come to the building for meetings.  They may keep a jacket & tie in their cubes for impromptu customer dropins.

I personally have very long hair & love healthy long hair on males & females alike.  When I am at HB.com I wear my hair down long unless I am doing something where it could get caught or in my way.  For the software company I keep a business suit available and clips to put my hair up.

Bottom line, most company owners will hire people that fit w/in their culture.  Artists are considered more creative types and would be expected to have a more casual and creative dress code that could still look professional.  In fact, it would probably help you get a job because you would look the part of someone that would be creative..which is what they are hiring you for.

One good rule of thumb for the future, if you are considering applying for a job w/a new company, consider going and sitting in their lobby or parking lot incognito a day or so before your interview to see what the people dress like.  OR you could ask the person setting up the interview w/you...what the general dress code is and if there are hair length issues.  Usually they will appreciate your interest and tell you so that you can decide how badly you want to work there and whether it is worth the risk to cut or not cut your hair for the interview.

A lot of business people are not necessarily prejudiced against long hair or facial hair or whatever.  They are instead just concerned about their public business image because right or wrong, good or bad, image does help or hurt your business..which is the bottom line. Think about it...would you hesitate trying a new restaurant if the ouside looked really bad? Even if the food inside was fabulous and everything was spic & span?  Probably not.  Most people wouldn't.

As far as wearing your hair down.  As long as you are comfortable, it doesn't interfere with your ability to get your job done and your employer is cool with it....let it fly free.  As it grows, you will know the right time to tie it back because it will be driving you crazy and in your face and eyes.

Good luck on your new job.  Keep us all posted how it goes.

Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 6:49pm
Greetings Lhhuster, and welcome back to the forum! 

In addition to Karen's excellent reply, I'd like to add a few thoughts from my own perspective.  I don't know that your hair could ever be "too" long.  Mine is quite, and employed am I.  I think the key for me also is respecting the awareness of how my hair (worn loose) would be affect the atmosphere in the workplace.  Because the business in which I work is entirely unrelated to hair, I keep mine basically hidden (braided ponytail).  Only you can know if long hair worn loose would be appropriate or acceptable in your workplace.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window