Print Page | Close Window

DIY Pretippers - dimensions please???

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29039
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 11:35am

Topic: DIY Pretippers - dimensions please???
Posted By: mtolady
Subject: DIY Pretippers - dimensions please???
Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:45pm
well, i just finished pretipping from my wefts.  since i'm using shrinkies and haircandy says shrinkies have a lot of room, i should be fine....

but i'm just curious, how big in diameter do you usually make your pretips?

and is it just me being INCREDIBLY MESSY, or is pretipping a messy job?

ewwww! LOL

-------------
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?

Replies:
Posted By: mochachip
Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:59pm
it gets less messy with practice.  You also get more consistently sized tips with practice.  Though with wefts i would imagine thats less of an issue.

Anyhow small ones i do about 1/16" in diameter
largest ones about 3/32" in diameter.
split the difference for medium

what kind of hair and what kind of glue are you using?

Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:39pm
Damn, Mocha! You've got those dimensions down.

I have a feeling someone's going to quickly become the resident pretipper around here! :)

Posted By: sherrie215
Date Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:55pm

LOL Mocha....Id be lost with those dimensions! (I never was good with math)

I usually make my pretips about the size of a round toothpick (easier for my brain to interpret!)

Posted By: Cali-Kristin
Date Posted: March 24 2005 at 12:39am

Just think "shoe lace tips." That's exactly what I think about when I'm making my pre-tipped pieces. Using shrink tubes you'll also have the ability to go a little thicker but remember that you'll have to attach thicker ones to a larger chunk of your own hair so it can support the larger extension piece.

-------------
http://www.YourHairShop.com - www.YourHairShop.com

Posted By: mtolady
Date Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:08am
i was using gorilla glue as i saw someone talk about that on here....and then i'll drop them with nail glue tonight during laundry.

i did a test tip the other day w/ heat shrink tube...but that one i just used nail glue.  Any reason why i can't do the whole thing w/ nail glue - other than i'll be whacked out from the fumes.

i think most of my tips are less than the size of a cross section of a standard wood pencil.  Although i probably could razor blade these in half if i needed to.  I figured if the shrinkie could fit over it...and my hair chunk was enough...mind you my hair is THICK...so what one thin person would take up in a centimeter's square on a head is much less than what i'll get in that square section.

Also, i'm only planning on doing from the nape of my neck up to maybe 1-2 rows above my ears.  I need to have something on the sides, but only for length. 

stuff should arrive today....so maybe i'll test some tonight if hubby isn't too tired.

-------------
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?

Posted By: Rapunzelwannabe
Date Posted: March 24 2005 at 8:42am
It's been my experience that nail glue alone makes the tips a little brittle, which makes them "crack" on installation, which eventually leads to shedding...

Posted By: mochachip
Date Posted: March 24 2005 at 9:30am
okay make fun of dimension girl.  but you have to understand that I work with men designing weird pieces of equipment all day so we have to communicate like that.

but shoelace tip is slightly large than what I'd call a medium so we're all obviously on the same page.

Print Page | Close Window