Print Page | Close Window

anyone get breakage from extentubes?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Extension Topics
Forum Name: Hair Extensions
Forum Description: Hair Extensions can be the quick fix for short hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29177
Printed Date: June 17 2024 at 9:59am

Topic: anyone get breakage from extentubes?
Posted By: metalgirl
Subject: anyone get breakage from extentubes?
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 12:18pm

I was wondering if anyone here that has used extentubes has had breakage in thier hair from it?

We all know that eurolocs/hairlocs causes breakage big time, and I think it's because when the copper is crimped it forms a rough edge that chews on the natural hair and cuts it.

I really want to be able to use extendtubes in place of the Eurolocs, so anyone's experience would be helpful....

Replies:
Posted By: Jenny_RR
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 12:55pm
I've been wondering the same thing. I've heard tons of damage reports on Hairlocs and Eurolocs (including my own firsthand experience), but none on extendtubes, and I also think it's the copper, which starts decomposing (tarnishing) pretty quickly, as well as perhaps a sharper edge in the physical design. I believe extendtubes are primarily aluminum.

The only problems I've heard so far regarding extendtubes are 1) if the client has a nickel allery (because apparently there's some nickel in those tubes), and 2) if removal is problematic (i.e., the tubes are crimped in on themselves during removal because the pliers are too smooth or the person isn't being patient enough).

I can tell you, I've had no breakage or tarnishing problems with extendtubes, like I had with hairlocs, but then again, I've never had a whole head of them in for an extended period either.

:)

Posted By: marie87
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 1:08pm

I find that if your going to use that type then order from short to long, they are the same size as euro and hair locks but made of the same stuff as extend tubes. These stay in better I think the extra lenght helps them not slip as much . Both are prone to sliping more so if hair is healthy.I also do see breakage I think clampig meatal on tight will tend to do that but sliping was the worst part. To order from short to long just fax them a certification from any strand by strand class you have had .The phone number is 941- 922-1004

Posted By: mochachip
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 1:21pm
I've had Docs rings several times with no problems.  Are they made of the same material?  As Jenny saidpart of the problem with hairl/euro locs is that they are made of copper so if Docs are nickel and extendtubes arenickel then I can tell myou no problems with breakage.  And my hair well healthy is not a word I have used to desrcibe it since maybe 9th grade when I first started dying it....

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 3:12pm
Well, up to now, extendtubes had received the best reviews (better than Doc's microrings because the extentubes close a bit flatter and don't chip as fast). But Marie is saying that Short to Long's are even better, so the licensed girls here should definitely give those a whirl.

Marie: About the slippage, do you find they slip more with human hair than synth? I've heard they slip less with synth because the hair doesn't expand and contract and isn't porous. I haven't done enough tests to know firsthand though.

Posted By: metalgirl
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 3:56pm

Marie:

Does Short to Long have a website?

I have seen their ads in Modern Salon Magazine.

Posted By: Amanda8Beechwoo
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 4:08pm
I'm going to wet my roots where I'm installing the extentubes so hopefully there will be no slippage if my hair is already shrunk when I apply them, what do you guys think xxx

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 4:17pm
Amanda - Dont put them too close into your head then.  cause ow! that could pull when it dries...  Wouldn't want the hair ripping out from the root.  But i think it makes sense that it would hold tighter with lelss chance of slipage.

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 5:13pm
Amanda: I don't know if it would be best to wet your roots. I think it's important to do a dry application with this stuff; some people actually spray the roots with some hairspray, though, to reinforce "the hold" during the application. And just from a practical point of view, I think it would be more difficult to apply the tubes if the hair's wet and, thus, more slippery.

Has anyone tried this before?

Edited to say: All of these metal rings have a tendency to chip over time, and I'd be concerned that having them be wet from the onset would also shorten the life of the tubes. Perhaps you want to try this on a certain section of the head to see if they perform differently than those applied dry before you do an entire head that way? :)

Posted By: krs523
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 6:00pm

I've had extendtubes for my last three installations....I love them.  I have used hairpiece.com one's and Hair Candy ones...both hold well and I've not had problems with taking them out.  Actually, I removed twice by myself.  I didn't notice any significant breakage.  I just had my extensions from EP put in on Friday with the extendtubes and so far, so good.  They will slip, but maintenance has been easy.  Plus, I like that there isn't residue like with shrinkies.

Hope that helps! 

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 6:36pm
short to long dose not have web sight but call and they will send a catolog.Funny thing about installing wet, when I took euro locks class they said you could install wet if you wanted. Slipage is easy to deal with for DIY but for clients it's a pain to come back all the time. By the way I pre tipped 300 tips with epoxy to day I love how easy it was but mix little at a time or it drys up!!

Posted By: Gina E
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 6:40pm

Mine are going on 2 weeks now. I have lost about 4, in the nape and sides. I lost four in one day with shrinkies! I am impressed so far with their performance. I happened to feel one slip the other day while I was curling my hair...so I just grabbed the pliers to retighten. I'm thinking a retighten service would be key at about two weeks, and evey two there after. I took the top row out a few days ago...it was too visible. I saw no damage.

As far as performance...they have exceeded my expectations. The tubes are on virgin hair(I haven't colored in months) and I have to shampoo every other day. Again, there has been minimal loss!

As Jenn mentioned above...I used hairspray on my sections during the install. After the dish soap, my fine hair was too flyaway.It helped keep my sections tidy and obviously didn't negatively impact the install.

I can't officially say tubes/rings cause no damage...however I think someone would either have to clamp the hell out of the tubes and/or the wearer would have to be ruff to their lifespan!

Posted By: Bridget
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:22pm

The number I have for short 2 long is 1-877-670-3021 I've wondered about their method too.  They also offer training.

I actually think doing an extentube install while your hair is wet is a good idea, as long as you didn't install the tube right up against your head.  Give room for you hair to shrink back up.  I think the sections would be a lot neater and you wouldn't get added breakage with the flyaways getting in the way. 

Posted By: sherrie215
Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:31pm
OK girls this thread is confusing me. I was under the impression that the hair actually expands when wet...so then it would actually not be good to install on wet hair. Or am I wrong on this?

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:39pm
sherrie - Hair gets longer and skinnier when wet I'm pretty sure.  So it would allow for making the tube tighter around the hair.  but you'd have to be careful not to get too close to the head cause then they would pull when dry.

:)al

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:54pm

I always thought hair was more prone to breakage when wet? I could be wrong...maybe installing them wet would work? I'm curious to hear.

I would be curious if it would create a "blending" issue...particularly with the color.

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:57pm

hmmmm...what I remember from the past disscussions on Quinns board, when microrings first came into the picture was that the hair is in its normal shrunken stage when dry. But when wet, the water causes the hair shaft to swell, and then it shrinks back up as it dries. I am getting old though....and they say the memory is the first thing to go!

This is gonna drive me nuts now, and I cant search back far enough on the Quinn board to find the old threads!

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 9:20pm
Hmm...well maybe it is OK then. I do know the tubes are more vulnerable to slipping when wet, but as long as you let the hair dry after the install and didn't brush/comb it while it was still wet, they may be perfectly fine and even more secure. It'd definitely be an interesting experiment. :)

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 9:23pm
Sherrie...you're not getting delusional! Hair swells when wet.

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 9:25pm
...because it absorbs the water, Gina? That makes sense.

I'm reverting to my original premise, lol: It's better to apply them to dry hair, with some hair spray. :)

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 9:30pm
So then you would defeat your purpose of trying to prevent slippage if you installed them on wet hair, since the hair swells when wet....right?

Date Posted: March 27 2005 at 9:39pm

Jenn...I think that's a very logical way to look at it. I think it has something to do with the cuticle layers lifting/swelling. I don't have the Milady textbook anymore...so I can't get too "exact"

Sherrie... ? I don't think it's going to create some "super" bond from doing it on wet hair. I don't think the result would give any different result than installing on dry hair and shampooing after. Ultimately...if you're gonna get slippage, it's gonna happen regardless. Like I mentioned earlier...hair is more prone to breakage when wet(because of stretching) and I think it would make blending a challenge.(Ever had a cut that looks great wet and like sh*t dry?) Hair is two different beasts wet to dry!

I'm gonna have to vote dry with hairspray! Althogh I do love these experements! And can't wait to hear actual results!

Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 3:04am
mmmm I'm glad I came back to check out what you guys said cos I'm hopefully doing my install today and tomorrow.  I thought that because extentubes tended to slip when your hair was wet that human hair shrank when it was wet but I've obviously got it back to front somewhere along the line.  I'm going to install extentubes with dry hair then and hairspray, I'll post picture as soon as I've done it, can't wait xxxx

Posted By: kirstyx1888xmac
Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 3:43am
iv not had breakage but as jenny said sometimes its v difficult to take them out and i also have only used them on the toprather than a fullhead and i only had them in a few weeks.if youra bit impatient you can have trouble. i ended up just cutting one out. but having said that i think they are better than fusions cos there isnt any glue and they arnt heavy at all so they dont pull on the scalp

Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:03am

I guess I wont give up on them yet! I am going to try the hair spray on one of my clients that slips alot and see how it goesThey do like the removal better than any other method me too !

Date Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:55am
Well I'm just washing my hair with dish soap and am starting my install now yikes xxxx

Print Page | Close Window